E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > spacers question

08-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

spacers question

I really don't know ish about wheels , spacers , ect so I was just wondering if you guys would recommend spacers , I want to make my wheels in the back to look a little wider , is it going to hurt the handling ? will it really look nicer or not noticable ? what are the negative and positive things about it ? , should it be installed just on rears? ( mine is rwd) , and how much MM would you recommend ? Thanks ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep

please anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Rome
:))))))
Germany
Rep
Drives: reckless

Spacers cause stress on the wheel bearings, so they will wear down quicker, other then that i dont think it will compramise the handling. I dont think you will notice a difference except on the way it looks. Peace.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
Hi

Ill do my best to help here, but spacers are and always will be a "plan b" option in manys opinion.

The main issues with spacers is
1) centering, always get spacers that hava a centering hub to ensure no vibration at higher speeds

2) Torque tightening, is sadly impossible if you are running a longer bolt. this depends obviously on how much longer the bolt is, but say anything more than 1cm over orig (25mm) will twist under tightnening and read wrong on the tourque wrench.
There is also the problem of overtightening, and then snapping a bolt under duress.

3)spacers may not pass through vehicle control (depending on your regions rules) so bear that in mind if the spacer are vital to fitment of the wheels, otherwise you may not be able to get the car to control..

there are some spacer types that use a 2 bolt system

this system allows you to secure the spacer to the disc hub with use of the supplied bolts, and then secure the wheel to the spacer using correct tourque mesurements

These can be sourced from FK, and are a good quality product

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
I really don't know ish about wheels , spacers , ect so I was just wondering if you guys would recommend spacers , I want to make my wheels in the back to look a little wider , is it going to hurt the handling ? will it really look nicer or not noticable ? what are the negative and positive things about it ? , should it be installed just on rears? ( mine is rwd) , and how much MM would you recommend ? Thanks ?
I just installed a set of 20mm spacers on the rear of my pre-LCI (2008). Since you have a 2009 which has a wider track already (sedan), you should probably go for smaller ones. It looks a lot nicer but normal people probably won't even notice it. In terms of handling, I want to say the car feels more stable but it could just be placebo. It is not recommended that you install them on the fronts because it messes up the steering geometry. I can't comment on safety but I've heard that it is bad for your wheel bearings.

Use hub centric spacers. I have Eibach spacers with the 2-bolt system where the spacer bolts onto your hub and then the wheel bolts onto the spacer using the stock lug bolts, which I feel is much safer than using extended bolts.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys , w.e. I guess I'll just save up for a set of nice fat bbs or something
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
Thanks guys , w.e. I guess I'll just save up for a set of nice fat bbs or something
+1 if only i had the CAAAAAAAAAAEEEEESH lyin around. but since i dont, i may do spacers next month. as far as size goes what would you guys reccomend for an M sport coupe?
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Make sure you go with a quality brand that is forged and includes the longer bolts. You can run into cracking issues or vibration problems if they are not properly manufactured. We have had success with the H&R brand which are used in race and street applications.

Size wise, I recommend measuring the distance between your tire and fender to see how much room you have. This depends on how low your car is, sidewall and wheel offset.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Spacers look awesome on the pre-LCIs, but as NiVeDh said they're not as necessary on the LCIs. I would personally go for different rims with wider tires before running spacers.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Definitely go for rims with the correct offset before looking into spacers. If its not possible, spacers are an option, just make sure to read this first:
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...t_Code=WSPACER