E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 320d 2005.5 heater/climate problems, no fan

07-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
greg123
Registered
Rep
Drives: Octavia 1.8T Estate+Leather

E90 320d 2005.5 heater/climate problems, no fan

Hi guys,

If anyone has any experience....

The heater fan doesn't work and it's not the controller/resistor pack/Output Final Stage (new one fitted B64.11.9.146.765) and not the fan (works fine with 12v applied) and not the wiring to the climate head unit. The power and earths to the fan controller also check out fine.
The fault code from the scanner is 9C97 Front Stratification Adjuster. I presume this is either a fault with the stratification control know by the hazard light or an actuator to a control flap.
When I operate the footwell/screen/face vent buttons, only one actuator moves, the one at the bottom on the drivers side (take out the foot shield and look up). I can’t seem to make either of the other 2 actuators on that side move no matter what I do, however I can hear a noise when I turn the left/right temp knobs up or down. Also the flap for fresh air inlet works okay. No noise when I change the temp on the front centre vents, by the hazard switch. I have been wondering if the motor that always moves is faulty and is acting on commands it shouldn’t be, or all the actuators are not programmed to the controller properly.
Also do the actuators need to be programmed or coded after a new one is fitted - does this have to be done and will it need to go to BMW? I have access to generic diagnostic gear which talks to the Climate module but that’s all, I read talk of a procedure to ‘address’ the actuator motors:

“After the exchange of a flap motor, the flap motor must be re-addressed. The new
address will be triggered by the diagnosis software via: Service Functions => Body => Heating and Air Conditioning => re-address motors”

If anyone can shed any light, appreciated.

Greg.
Appreciate 0