Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Runflat replacements?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
BM Bridger
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Runflat replacements?

My only gripe with my e90 is the fidgety ride the runflat tyres give.

Has anyone actually replaced the runflat tyres with non-runflats yet. If so, does the ride quality improve?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Bridger
My only gripe with my e90 is the fidgety ride the runflat tyres give.

Has anyone actually replaced the runflat tyres with non-runflats yet. If so, does the ride quality improve?
Several people have replaced the runflats and have claimed ride and responsiveness improves. This makes sense because regular tires will weigh less and will have lower unsprung weight.

I am considering going to 19s at some point but was worried about getting a flat. Then I found out about this product:

http://www.slime.com/auto/

See the "smart spair".

This company is just down the street from my house, and my neighbor works for them. I am carrying a "smart spair", (even with my runflats) which should get you to a tire repair shop with all but the worst punctures. The tire shop just has to wash out the slime, and then repair the tire. It's like having runflats without having the extra weight.

Another neighbor with a Mini has the smart spair also since he switched to non run-flat tires also.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

BMW has also a tire repair kit. Anyone knows what that might cost and what is the part number?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
BMW has also a tire repair kit. Anyone knows what that might cost and what is the part number?
Found it: M-Mobility System, part # 2 282 822.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 06:49 AM   #5
egtlover74
Photographer
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

One big problem with those cans is that they eat thru the rims. I had one of my flats fixed with it and later patched the tire. About 3 months later when I had to replace the tires, I found out that the sealer started to eat thru my aluminum wheels. Sealer also made the tire out of balance as it became liquified over time(think about 12 ounces of water in your tire. The mechanic told me that once the sealer has been used on a flat tire, it needs to be dismounted and cleaned. This was about 6 years ago and never used the sealer again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Of course the tire has to be replaced. The sealant only helps you to get to the nearest tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 05:15 AM   #7
egtlover74
Photographer
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
Of course the tire has to be replaced. The sealant only helps you to get to the nearest tire shop.
Well, if the flat tired is plugged it doesn't need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Anyway the tire has to be removed and then you can clean the sealant stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #9
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtlover74
One big problem with those cans is that they eat thru the rims. I had one of my flats fixed with it and later patched the tire. About 3 months later when I had to replace the tires, I found out that the sealer started to eat thru my aluminum wheels. Sealer also made the tire out of balance as it became liquified over time(think about 12 ounces of water in your tire. The mechanic told me that once the sealer has been used on a flat tire, it needs to be dismounted and cleaned. This was about 6 years ago and never used the sealer again.
This is a valid point, BUT the thing is, the sealant is only supposed to get you to a tire shop so you can get the flat repaired. When they dismount the tire to fix the flat, they need to clean out the sealant. If left in for extended periods of time, it can harm the inside of the rim. It won't be a problem for a day or two (certainly not as bad as driving on the rim to a tire shop) though.

SLIME is 100% biodegradable, and this is definitely a plus. When the tire shop washes it out of your tire and rim, it won't hurt the environment.

Check out SLIME. They make a great product, and about 10 of my friends work there so I have to support them! They also sponsor an American LeMans race car. ( www.miraclemotorsports.com ).

SLIME is 100% biodegradable, and this is definitely a plus.
Appreciate 0