BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    Ferarri California Tested!! Hang on!

07-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Ferarri California Tested!! Hang on!

The California is a car filled with firsts for Ferrari: the first front-engine V-8, the first use of direct injection, the first seven-speed transmission, the first true launch-control system, the first retractable hardtop, and the first stacked exhaust. But fear not, all these firsts have not changed the purity of Ferrari; they've just expanded its range.
The California's new transmission, set up in launch mode, auto upshifts for you until you run out of gears. So what does she run? We got 3.5 seconds to 60, while the quarter mile ticked away in 11.9 seconds at 117.4 mph. That's damned impressive for a car weighing 3916 pounds with only 454 horsepower.
Continue reading:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/conver...test/index.html
      07-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The red "tail lights" aren't really even the tail lights, they're in the black strip in the middle of the gigantic rear end, above the two fake exhaust tips. I can't help but think that with this, the horrific 612, the 1990's Supra-esque 599 and the rather awkward F430, that Lamborghini has really taken over the title of interesting Italian exotic market.

Whatever, kept women of the world will probably love them, and I'm sure they'll sell all of them they choose to build.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

If I got one, I'd immediately put the wheels of the 599 GTB. Stock wheels are too plain. Performance, however, is fantastic. It's just as fast as the F430 to 60! The rear end is slightly tall, but this performance is very attractive. What turns me off is that the navigation is from a Chrysler Town and Country and it is way more expensive than a SL63 which I think looks better and is still high quality.
      07-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The red "tail lights" aren't really even the tail lights, they're in the black strip in the middle of the gigantic rear end, above the two fake exhaust tips. I can't help but think that with this, the horrific 612, the 1990's Supra-esque 599 and the rather awkward F430, that Lamborghini has really taken over the title of interesting Italian exotic market.

Whatever, kept women of the world will probably love them, and I'm sure they'll sell all of them they choose to build.
I now have reason to believe that you are on inhalants.

But really, Lamborghini has always had the title of "interesting" Italian exotic. Nobody bought the ostentatious Diablo or Countach because it was a practical supercar. People bought it because it was wild, flamboyant, and made people go "WTF is that?"
      07-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Awesome figures, love the fact that it's the Red speed Horse's first hardtop convertible. It'd be nice to have one of these :P
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

This car would be GREAT... if it didn't look ugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The Lexus SC430 of Ferraris
      07-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
i still think its ugly O: they should add "the first toyota style rims". And I'm not a big fan of the IS-F exhaust. I'd make the front grill a little bigger. I also wish they could add just one more brake light on each side but thats just my opinion. I don't know how i feel about the front engine. Growing up, the iconic thing about Ferrari's to me was how cool it was so be able to see a mid-engine. I don't know, I can't decide whether i like it or not, i think its a little low on the 'wow' factor for me.
but those are impressive times

/undecided
For the price of this Ferrari i would get a zr1, give $20k to lingenfelter and be driving the baddest car on the road and still keep around $100k in the bank.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
For the price of this Ferrari i would get a zr1, give $20k to lingenfelter and be driving the baddest car on the road and still keep around $100k in the bank.
This.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
Yep. Well said.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
I now have reason to believe that you are on inhalants.

Which convinced you, the 599 or 430? I see 599's fairly often, and it reminds me of the Supra, like someone designed the front, another team did the middle and a third did the rear and they just busted out some puddy and slammed them all together. It's also big, heavy and no where near as elegant as the 550/575, which I found to be one of the best recent Fezzas. Of course it's fast as all holy hell and seems pretty composed on the track, and in black or even silver, I might just find a way to clear space for it in the garage.

As for the 430, I liked them at first, because the 360 was so feminine and soft, while the 430 fixed a lot of that with sharper edges and more aggressive styling. But some things just look cheap and tacky. The stock exhaust with unfinished tips look cheap, the brake/intercooler ducts in the front painted matte black tend to look silly on any color and most of the ones I see out here are on 20's with Time Attack stripes and just look silly. I should probably mention that I love the coupe, but see many, many more spiders, which I find to look a bit confused.

I should also point out that aside from the F40, F355 and the 288 GTO, I really don't care for Ferrari's mid engined efforts. My dad had a 330 GTC when I was a kid, I guess I just have a soft spot for front engined coupes, and the California is a big disappointment in style, if not in performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Which convinced you, the 599 or 430? I see 599's fairly often, and it reminds me of the Supra, like someone designed the front, another team did the middle and a third did the rear and they just busted out some puddy and slammed them all together. It's also big, heavy and no where near as elegant as the 550/575, which I found to be one of the best recent Fezzas. Of course it's fast as all holy hell and seems pretty composed on the track, and in black or even silver, I might just find a way to clear space for it in the garage.

As for the 430, I liked them at first, because the 360 was so feminine and soft, while the 430 fixed a lot of that with sharper edges and more aggressive styling. But some things just look cheap and tacky. The stock exhaust with unfinished tips look cheap, the brake/intercooler ducts in the front painted matte black tend to look silly on any color and most of the ones I see out here are on 20's with Time Attack stripes and just look silly. I should probably mention that I love the coupe, but see many, many more spiders, which I find to look a bit confused.

I should also point out that aside from the F40, F355 and the 288 GTO, I really don't care for Ferrari's mid engined efforts. My dad had a 330 GTC when I was a kid, I guess I just have a soft spot for front engined coupes, and the California is a big disappointment in style, if not in performance.
While I don't agree completely with you, I have found that with the exception of certain models (360, 430), I find most Ferrari's weird looking. The 599, and the 612 don't look like supercars to me.

The Gallardo and Murcielago on the otherhand... I love Lambos.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

this car is so ugly....

i rather buy a f430...

or even a gt3 and and m3, with enough money to money both really nicely.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Loved the F430 personally, but the California is the most hideous and (gasp!) disgrace of a brand that Ferrari has build in recent history.

+1 to the ZR1 comment.
      07-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
The Lexus SC430 of Ferraris
WTF??? LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
I was just reading the california vs the SL63 in car and driver and they said the californias rear is weird. agreed.

then they said the SL63 looked like an old cougar with a face lift but was still aging. ):. I think that car is beautiful. Maybe I'm just attracted to milfs....
I read that issue as well. It was actually interesting how the Ferrari was significantly slower 30-50 and 50-70 in top gear compared to the torquey Merc, but it was actually faster in all the other acceleration test. That engine must have some secret sauce for such crazy top end power
      07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
i've been a Ferrari lover forever and never cared for Lambos. other than the F430 i feel like i've somehow switched sides along the way. the other night i saw a Lambo Gallardo Superleggera on TV and it looked so legit that i almost threw my Enzo pajamas in the trash!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post
I read that issue as well. It was actually interesting how the Ferrari was significantly slower 30-50 and 50-70 in top gear compared to the torquey Merc, but it was actually faster in all the other acceleration test. That engine must have some secret sauce for such crazy top end power
The MB is a conventional auto (without a torque converter) but it still drops gears if you floor it. The Ferrari has a DCT, which will hold the top gear (and the test mentions that it only allowed 6th, not 7th at 30mph), so that's why the MB is so much quicker. Even if you could hold upper gears, you're right, the torque of the MB would probably still make it faster, but not that much faster.
Appreciate 0