E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Paint Issue / Problem with clearcoat adhesion?

07-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
zen8t8
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Angry Paint Issue / Problem with clearcoat adhesion?

A few months after I bought my car, I noticed there was some 'bubbling' in the clearcoat on the hood. I brought the car into the dealership, and they 'buffed' out the issue, and all seemed to be fine.

This summer, as I wash my car, I am noticing the same issue in various different locations on the body.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Is this an indication of a more troubling defect... like say improper adhesion of the clearcoat, or contamination during the painting process? I haven't been back to the dealer yet with this issue... any recommendations on what I should ask them to do? 'Buffing' seems like it will just make my paint 'thinner,' and not fix the underlying paint issue.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
It does look like a paint/clear coat problem. It may have just been flawed at the time of application OR the hood may have been repainted prior to being sold ..... the latter is common practice and the warranty is uneffected.

I would go to whatever bodyshop your dealer uses and get an expert's opinion on what the problem is, what caused it and what the cost would be to rectify the problem. Present your dealer with that information and they will not be able to argue the fact there is a defect with the paint.

Keep us posted with how it turns out!

EDIT: I missed the fact this is all over the car. Definitely go to a BMW approved body shop and see what they have to say. Looks like a flawed paint process took place ............

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
zen8t8
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the plan! I'll give the dealership a call on Monday and ask where the approved paint shops are. Do you think this clearcoat issue could be the cause of my 'weak' paint? I have a TON of paint chips after just 10 months..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Holy cow - those last three pics look like you where driving behind a gravel truck loosing it's load - some nasty stone chips on your hood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen8t8 View Post
Thanks for the plan! I'll give the dealership a call on Monday and ask where the approved paint shops are. Do you think this clearcoat issue could be the cause of my 'weak' paint? I have a TON of paint chips after just 10 months..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen8t8 View Post

Thanks!
Anytime!

No, I don't. The fact that the clearcoat seems to be separating from the paint should be covered under manufacturer warranty. It's just a matter of getting an expert opinion to reinforce your stance.

Unfortunately, since the BMW paint is water based and not oil based; the paint tends to be much softer and more susceptible to chipping, marring and blemishing.

GL and keep us posted!

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
zen8t8
Registered
United_States
Rep

I wish I could blame it on a gravel truck! It's just from normal driving... and mostly city (six mile daily drive to work, and the occasional highway drive once a week). I'm actually fairly careful about following trucks and people talking on the phone that swerve onto the shoulder kicking up debris. Kind of discouraging to be so careful with your car and STILL end up with massive amounts of rock chips. I guess on the bright side, one day I'll need to get an aftermarket hood....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Unfortunately, since the BMW paint is water based and not oil based; the paint tends to be much softer and more susceptible to chipping, marring and blemishing.
Actually, you brought up a good point. It could be possible that it was repainted and they sprayed on a lacquer or enamel clear coat on top of a urethane base coat. BMW OEM paint is urethane (plastic resin). Lacquer and urethane is like putting oil on top of water. While it might look good at the time, there actually isn't any bonding or adhesion there. The other possibility is that they sprayed on the clear too long after the base has cured. Which is indicative of a repaint job that's half done.

A lot of newer cars are now using urethane paints as opposed to enamel (or lacquer...which is probably last used in the early 90's). That means the primer, base coat, and clear coat MUST be all urethane otherwise you'll get adverse reactions and adhesion problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
bacon33
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Did anyone ever get an answer from BMW?
Appreciate 0