E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Triangle or Moble phone icon on your iDrive?

07-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

Triangle or Moble phone icon on your iDrive?

Howdy, I've got a stupid question that is not addressed in the car manual... usually soon after I get in the car I get an icon of a solid triangle (w/o an exclamation point -- this is not a warning sign)... right next to the signal strength indicator on the the bottom info-bar on the iDrive screen. This lets me know that the signal bars are no longer indicating the BMW assist signal strength, but instead, my cell phone signal srenghth...

Well after a few weeks, I got my first call waiting call (while talking to someone else on the phone in the car)... After I switched between the calls, using the button on my phone (I didn't know how to switch between calls usiing the iDrive knob), the triangle switched to an icon of a mobile phone. For about a week after that, I would get the mobile phone icon rather than the triangle icon whenever I drove the car... and after about a week, it switched back to the tirangle icon...

FYI, I've used 2 phones in this car, a Sony Z600 (which only showed the triangle sign) and now I use a Motorla Razr v3 (which temoroarly gave me the mobile phone icon)...

Does anyone know what these icons indicate? and when you connect your cell phone via bluetooth, which icon do you get? (please indicate your cell phone type too)...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
abpatel
Rep
Drives:

The triangle means you are connected to your phone.

The mobile phone icon means you have a missed call while the phone was connected to your car. You will see the missed call names/numbers on the missed call section of the phone menu of iDrive. When you check that menu on iDrive, the triangle comes back.

That's it.

BTW - It's in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2005, 10:46 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
The Telephone indicates that you are on your primary carriers network. The Triangle indicates that you are roaming onto another carriers network. Depending on your plan you may or may not be paying a premium if you are roaming. For example, I am with T-mobile which has full nationwide roaming agreements with most carriers at no additional cost. So when I'm on a true T-mobile network the phone displays on the I-drive. When I fall out of T-Mobile coverage and pick up Cingular coverage I get the triangle. I don't get charged for this roaming because of my call plan and an agreement between T-mobile and Cingular. Nevertheless, the I-drive warns me that I am technically roaming onto another carriers network and that I could conceivably getting billed at a premium if I make or receive a call with the triangle displayed. Hope this helps.
      07-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

You know, I think that's close but not the entire story.

Abpatel, it's NOT in the radio manual that I got. I specifically looked for an explanation, nothing there. I have the non-Idrive model for what it's worth.

I get the triangle when I know I'm NOT roaming. The phone doesn't indicate ROAM or "extended network" or anything like that, and I also have first-hand knowledge of where I do and do not roam as I work in the cell phone business.

I did turn off my phone today when I saw it again, it goes away. However, depending on the carrier that BMW uses for Assist, where I get the triangle icon may indicate where THAT phone is roaming.

In either case, it's not consistent - why would I care if the Assist phone was in a roaming area? Nor does it indicate that I'm paired with the phone, the bars do that. Nor does it accurately indicate when my personal phone - connected via BT - is roaming.

I'm putting it down to a bug until I get a better explanation...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
JRMillion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I got my 330i in September, and was using my Motorola V710 with no problems. I just got a V3c (Verizon RAZR), and although it connects fine, I now get this flashing triangle roaming indicator... and I know I am not roaming. Its not a huge deal, but the flashing its kind of annoying.
Maybe this will stop next time there is a software update for the V3c...

anyone else have experience with this? or know how to stop it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

The triangle equals roaming.

The mobile phone symbol equals a missed phone call while you were in the car and did not answer the call.

The 5 series has worked this way for over 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 05:12 AM   #7
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have two Cingular phones paired to my car's Bluetooth. Mine is a Treo 650 and my wife has a Motorola V551. Whenver my phone pairs, it looks like a small phone (which looks surprisingly similar to a Treo). When my wife's Motorola pairs, a triangle appears.

There was recently a firmware update for the Treo 650. Prior to that, my Bluetooth wouldn't show the signal strength on the iDrive screen. It would simply show that "tower" if I had a signal, or it would disappear if I lost signal.

My Treo has never shown a triangle on the screen and I have no missed calls.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

Mine works like mdemange talks about, however I think mine takes a hit of crack once in a while. I Have Verizon and when I am on extended network it will sometimes show the phone, sometimes show the triangle and sometimes flash really fast between the two icons...really annoying.
Appreciate 0