E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil change interval - my experience

06-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
godot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Oil change interval - my experience

Just changed the oil in my 335 (RWD) at 7,000 miles. The computer was going to let me go 8k more miles, but I didn't want to wait that long for the first change.

I know this issue has been beaten nearly to death, but I wanted to offer what I found:

- The oil was BLACK. In fact, it was as black as any of my previous cars were after 3000 to 5000 miles, also running pure synthetic. (See pic of oil on a paper towel.)

- There were METAL SHAVINGS in the oil. This is expected from a new engine, and it's a good idea to get them out of there. (See pic of metal fragments on my finger.)

- The oil smelled strongly like GAS. The gas enters the oil as blow-by around the piston rings, especially with high-compression, high-revving engines like ours. It will reduce the viscosity and lubricity of the oil. Not so good.

I'm sure BMW did a sh*t-ton of calculations on how poor the condition of the oil can get before leading to an unacceptable amount of wear, taking into account how long the engine will be expected to last for the average owner. You just have to take into account how much potential wear is acceptable to you. The oil is easy to change, so if you think you might keep the car past warranty, I'd recommend servicing prior to 15k, at least for the first oil change.
Attached Images

06-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

And another skirmish in the Oil Wars begins.

What we need are some (more) oil analysis results from those who have run the BWM interval.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by godot View Post
Just changed the oil in my 335 (RWD) at 7,000 miles. The computer was going to let me go 8k more miles, but I didn't want to wait that long for the first change.

I know this issue has been beaten nearly to death, but I wanted to offer what I found:

- The oil was BLACK. In fact, it was as black as any of my previous cars were after 3000 to 5000 miles, also running pure synthetic. (See pic of oil on a paper towel.)

- There were METAL SHAVINGS in the oil. This is expected from a new engine, and it's a good idea to get them out of there. (See pic of metal fragments on my finger.)

- The oil smelled strongly like GAS. The gas enters the oil as blow-by around the piston rings, especially with high-compression, high-revving engines like ours. It will reduce the viscosity and lubricity of the oil. Not so good.

I'm sure BMW did a sh*t-ton of calculations on how poor the condition of the oil can get before leading to an unacceptable amount of wear, taking into account how long the engine will be expected to last for the average owner. You just have to take into account how much potential wear is acceptable to you. The oil is easy to change, so if you think you might keep the car past warranty, I'd recommend servicing prior to 15k, at least for the first oil change.
That's not "black" oil. Go change the oil in a diesel motor and you'll then know what black oil is. Just because it is black doesn't mean it is not still lubricating the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by godot View Post
...I know this issue has been beaten nearly to death, but I wanted to offer what I found...
I am happy to read others experiences, comments, and suggestions on this issue...regardless of how many times it may come up. I feel I always learn a little something more from the ensuing discussions. I'm one of those with one foot in the past I guess. The mantra "every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first" has been drilled into my psyche since getting my first car at 17 (I'm 41 now) so change comes slowly.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyRedCar View Post
I am happy to read others experiences, comments, and suggestions on this issue...regardless of how many times it may come up. I feel I always learn a little something more from the ensuing discussions. I'm one of those with one foot in the past I guess. The mantra "every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first" has been drilled into my psyche since getting my first car at 17 (I'm 41 now) so change comes slowly.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
AGREED.

Appreciate 0