E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ETS Stock Fitment Intercooler Review w/IAT Datalogs

06-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
ETS Stock Fitment Intercooler Review w/IAT Datalogs

First of all, I would like to say thanks to Mike at ETS for being great to work with in all of this and offering a great stock fitment intercooler. Also thanks to Curt2000 for helping out with the install.

After looking at all the available intercooler options on the market for the past couple months I decided to go with one where I would not have to do any cutting or trimming of the bumper, frame, etc. Since I am not planning to do any major turbo upgrades I figured I would not need the largest intercooler out there. Also I chose to upgrade an intercooler before going completely catless because of the hot, humid temperatures of the summer. Now on with the review.

Shipping & Contents:
The IC arrived just as I expected, nice large box packed carefully and protected the goods inside very well and appeared to be hand checked for contents before leaving ETS. The contents included the IC, all clamps and hose connectors, and a cold side charge pipe powder coated matte black. This intercooler has 1 inch more depth than the stock unit, whereas all other dimensions were the same.

Installation:
The kit did not include any installation instructions which was expected since I am prototype testing the unit. However, by looking at other IC DIYs it was quite straight forward. Most of the time was spent figuring out how to lift the car high enough to get under it. Here are the few noteworthy items to take into consideration for the install:
1. Intercooler slides right in without any cutting or trimming
2. Bolts to hold in intercooler met up with stock locations perfectly
3. There are some options with connecting the intercooler to the system:

3a. On the hot side: the stock unit has accordion hoses which utilizes 1x use clamps which will need to be cut off if you want to replace these hoses. I replaced them because I would think a straight thru design would be more beneficial.
3b. On the cold side: ETS gives you a nice charge pipe which they intend for you to connect straight to the stock plastic pipe where the diverter valves are located. However, due to the fact that their tester car had the AA BOV kit on it the charge pipe falls just short, which leaves 2 options. The first options is to connect it to the OEM rubber accordion hose which is what I have done in the mean time. The second option is to manufacture a new charge pipe/extension to reach the diverter valves. I am currently working with ETS on the development of this pipe and they have assured me that they will get this taken care of ASAP. Good on them.

So besides having to cut some clamps (optional) and wanting to have more charge pipe (optional) the install went in without any hiccups.

Performance:
Upon first driving you notice that the charge and blow-off to be more audible which is perfect. From the seat of the pants you can't tell much but you shouldn't use a butt dyno as a baseline anyway. I did do some before and after datalogging. See below for test data:

*All tests were done with a low RPM third gear pull to past 6500 rpms, on 94 octane, V3Stg1 5-29 Maps, 80% User Torque, DCI + Scoops, Ambient Temp 27C (81F) 85% humidity, car was warmed up to normal operating temperature on all runs. (Ignore the typo on the title of the top right chart, should be IAT vs RPMs)

IATs:

Stock: Varied from 40C to 63C (104F to 145F)
ETS IC: Varied from 43C to 49C (109F to 120.2F)

Boost: Remained about the same although it looks like there may be slight pressure drop which is expected.

Conclusion:
The ETS Intercooler in the hot humid conditions was able to drop the intake charge 14C or 25F, which is significant considering that the hotter the ambient is the less heat can be transferred. Also after consecutive 3rd gear pulls the inlet temperatures remained the same. Overall I am happy with the purchase and I would encourage anyone else who is looking for a stock fitment IC to consider ETS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Great write up Mike!

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

Great...thanks Mike, I will give you a call. Sounds like a very viable option, good work testing and thanks for the honesty. Sorry I couldn't make it to help you guys with the install, but that drive to Columbus Airport sucked, I would rather have been working with you guys on that. Both of you had best be at our Ohio Bimmerfest...check it out under the events section listed for the Greene. LOL.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Good write up.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Great info about the charge pipe...I'm waiting for my ETS FMIC to ship.
      06-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
kryzeofkrayzie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MontegoBluE92 / Nhpdc5

It's a great intercooler! It does the job (gain or retain power).

Mods are JB3 map #3 91 octane, Injen Dci, Hks exhaust, Ar designs catless Dp's

The first graph is a comparison between stock intercooler vs ets intercooler on a cold day. (66 degrees)

The second graph is a comparison between stock intercooler vs ets intercooler on a hot day. (85 degrees)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzeofkrayzie View Post
It's a great intercooler! It does the job (gain or retain power).

Mods are JB3 map #3 91 octane, Injen Dci, Hks exhaust, Ar designs catless Dp's

The first graph is a comparison between stock intercooler vs ets intercooler on a cold day. (66 degrees)

The second graph is a comparison between stock intercooler vs ets intercooler on a hot day. (85 degrees)

So if I'm reading this correctly your saying that you gained 55Hp with the ETS FMIC??? I don't think so...

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
kryzeofkrayzie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
So if I'm reading this correctly your saying that you gained 55Hp with the ETS FMIC??? I don't think so...
Not gained... Retained the power that I should be making..

Those are my dyno #'s on 3 different days...

328 hp dyno # was w/ stock intercooler (heat soaked) my tune was pulling timing up top which got me really bad results for my mods.

ETS intercooler just got my power back because it didn't pull timing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzeofkrayzie View Post
Not gained... Retained the power that I should be making..

Those are my dyno #'s on 3 different days...

328 hp dyno # was w/ stock intercooler (heat soaked) my tune was pulling timing up top which got me really bad results for my mods.

ETS intercooler just got my power back because it didn't pull timing.
Did you have the same issue with the charge pipe, where you just reused part of the stock system or do you have an aftermarket BOV setup?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
kryzeofkrayzie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplaynazn View Post
Did you have the same issue with the charge pipe, where you just reused part of the stock system or do you have an aftermarket BOV setup?
I did what you did w/ the stock system.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mike,

Great review! It was good talking with you on the phone yesterday. Send me over those pics and dimensions when you get a chance. I don't think it will be a problem making an add on pipe for the intercooler kit.

Also, if you guys have any install pics, we would love to check them out!

Thanks,

Michael
360-263-3748
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update:

Sent a few pictures of the stock rubber charge pipe in question to Mike at ETS yesterday as well as spec'd out the hose via Solidworks.

He should have something to me soon to test fit, hopefully it will work on the first try.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

We have received the drawing and it's under review! Again, thanks for taking the time to draw the pipe up.

Just so everyone knows, the intercooler kit can be installed with no problems even on a bone stock car, this drawing is to replace a different charge pipe to make a complete hard pipe system to the blow off valve pipe. If you are running an active or similar blow off pipe this upgrade will not be needed.

Thanks Again!

Michael
Appreciate 0