E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is there any aftermarket HPFP for 335i?

06-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
gian p.r.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Is there any aftermarket HPFP for 335i?

Yesterday I had my first HPFP failure and it really sucks, I was on a mountain 2 hours away from home doing a rally with some friends that have bmw and a look like I had and old Datsun waiting to be towed at the street. I know Bmw extended the warranty but that doesnt help at all, I just want to get on my car, ride how long I want without the preoccupation of a HPFP failure. Please if anyone know of good aftermarket pump for the 335 notify me. I also think tuners like asr, ams, Terry and Shiv should get involve of doing a HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
RxBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 M Sport

What do your car do? I'm asking because my car today trows a half engine light. The code reader shows code 30 FE( turbo charger high pressure side) and 3100 (Air charge control shut down).

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 black sapphire coupe JB+

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBMW View Post
What do your car do? I'm asking because my car today trows a half engine light. The code reader shows code 30 FE( turbo charger high pressure side) and 3100 (Air charge control shut down).

I'm pretty sure it's the hpfp I am going through the same delimma with my car. The thing worrying me is I don't have any warranty on the car itself anymore (50000 mls comes fast) and I know I still have warranty on the pump but i get half engine every now and then and I def. Don't want to have to pay for a crappy pump. I too would greatly appreciate if someone would reassure me that the half engine light has nothing to do with my JB+ and it's just the pump. I have it set to 75% so I hope that doesn't throw a code at the dealer and no I'm not going out and paying $100+ to get a bt scan tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
This is an interesting question because there are options for the VAG 2.0Ts since they are having the same issues.

It would be great for there to be an option for our pumps.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
This is an interesting question because there are options for the VAG 2.0Ts since they are having the same issues.

It would be great for there to be an option for our pumps.
Mr. 5, it is shocking no company has taken the innitiative here. The amount of money to be made is enormous.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Mr. 5, it is shocking no company has taken the innitiative here. The amount of money to be made is enormous.
True. However, the price for the stock pump is pretty low. After developing, testing, and producing a replacement, without any immediate proof that it is indeed better, how much are you willing to pay for a shot in the dark replacement?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
True. However, the price for the stock pump is pretty low. After developing, testing, and producing a replacement, without any immediate proof that it is indeed better, how much are you willing to pay for a shot in the dark replacement?
If you build it robust and upgrade the failing stock components, then how could it be a failed project?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
If you build it robust and upgrade the failing stock components, then how could it be a failed project?
Well, yeah, it all makes sense in theory. But how do you prove that it's up to the task? And how much more is the end user willing to pay? There's no way (in my mind anyway), at least initially, that this pump could be anywhere near as cheap as the OEM part.

It would be nice if it was as simple as replacing internal components with upgraded, more robust materials. But I'm sure if it was just that easy, BMW would have had the manufacturer take that on themselves. My thoughts are there must be a fundamental design flaw in the basic engineering of the pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
skate_E92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i

i think its possible and would pay for it!! i wanna be able to go on a road trip and not worry about my hpfp going out!!!!!!!!
      06-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2223 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the hpfp I am going through the same delimma with my car. The thing worrying me is I don't have any warranty on the car itself anymore (50000 mls comes fast) and I know I still have warranty on the pump but i get half engine every now and then and I def. Don't want to have to pay for a crappy pump. I too would greatly appreciate if someone would reassure me that the half engine light has nothing to do with my JB+ and it's just the pump. I have it set to 75% so I hope that doesn't throw a code at the dealer and no I'm not going out and paying $100+ to get a bt scan tool.
your HPFP warranty is good for 100,000 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2223 View Post
You have $ to buy/lease a BMW, want to go fast with JB+ and don't want to spend money for a BT tool?

Where is that show I'm smarter than a fith grader
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

I think the manufacturer of a replacement pump would have to be relying on widespread paranoia to make a good dime on the product. Even though we see a lot of threads on here regarding the issue, we're a small percentage of the BMW community, often with mods pushing the fuel system even further than intended. Even if you look at the percentage of failures on this forum, it isn't the incredibly large number that it sometimes seems to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

True, but if there were an upgraded HPFP on the market, that paranoia would sure spread. I'm sure people with good fuel pumps would upgrade just for the peace of mind. Personally, I'd pay twice the price of a stock pump for an upgraded one just to not go through the trouble of going to the dealer to get a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
You have $ to buy/lease a BMW, want to go fast with JB+ and don't want to spend money for a BT tool?

Where is that show I'm smarter than a fith grader
was thinking the same thing....... amazing to me (not trying to be offensive) that there are so many people that don't want to spend money on a scan tool like that.... it's such a small amount in the big picture... anyone with a tune should spend the money on a scanner (unless it's built in with procede) .. and even those without.... for a couple hundred dollars, it sure is nice to see what's wrong with your $50k car...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I think the manufacturer of a replacement pump would have to be relying on widespread paranoia to make a good dime on the product. Even though we see a lot of threads on here regarding the issue, we're a small percentage of the BMW community, often with mods pushing the fuel system even further than intended. Even if you look at the percentage of failures on this forum, it isn't the incredibly large number that it sometimes seems to be.
but we have proven to each other that it happens, modded or not... so even though we are a small community, we are a decent sized sample (maybe not statistically speaking.. but overall big enough to assume we are somewhat representative of the population) ... and we have people with dying HPFPs...

we have to assume that there are hundreds of them failing out there that we don't know about...... just cause we don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening...

i've had 2 die... one, with no tune, after 3000 miles, with slow cranking.... the 2nd after 24K miles, suddenly died with no slow cranks, just dead one morning... (glad i had my BT tool)

I've seen others on here with 2-3 die... do we just have bad luck ?? blame it on my gas ?? the same gas kills it in 3000 miles one year.. then 24K the next ? I don't think so...

All I know is if there was a permanent fix... i would pay $$$
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
but we have proven to each other that it happens, modded or not... so even though we are a small community, we are a decent sized sample (maybe not statistically speaking.. but overall big enough to assume we are somewhat representative of the population) ... and we have people with dying HPFPs...

we have to assume that there are hundreds of them failing out there that we don't know about...... just cause we don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening...

i've had 2 die... one, with no tune, after 3000 miles, with slow cranking.... the 2nd after 24K miles, suddenly died with no slow cranks, just dead one morning... (glad i had my BT tool)

I've seen others on here with 2-3 die... do we just have bad luck ?? blame it on my gas ?? the same gas kills it in 3000 miles one year.. then 24K the next ? I don't think so...

All I know is if there was a permanent fix... i would pay $$$
Well we can already imply that the obscene failure rate is because of ethanol blended gas at 10%. And, with the government tossing around the idea of upping the ante to 15%, who knows if there is even anything they can do with the current design to tolerate that. If it was as simple as upgrading the materials in the seals, I'm sure it would have been done already.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Don't you think if BMW switched to a better pump they would save themselves the money to constantly replace the one that keeps failing?? It just seems stupid to me, I mean it seems as almost every 135/335/535 pump fail at least once. Use a better pump.

I also would like to see a afteremarket fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twntrbo View Post
Don't you think if BMW switched to a better pump they would save themselves the money to constantly replace the one that keeps failing?? It just seems stupid to me, I mean it seems as almost every 135/335/535 pump fail at least once. Use a better pump.

As someone said before, we suspected that BMW doesn't want to spend R&D money again to come up with the right pump. Or, maybe, they know it is uncurable so just replace it as they go.

I would be more than happy to spend $ for a good pump, no doubt. But that prolly will never happen as the way 335i was designed?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twntrbo View Post

I guarantee you, with the scale of the problem, BMW has done a CBA on this issue. I also guarantee you that if it was as easy as changing the materials of the seals, they would have taken care of it. My impression is that it would require reengineering.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
gian p.r.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

My car is fully tuned downpipes, jb3, DCI, CDV, intercooler and cp-e exhaust and I think that tuned or stock this car needs a better HPFP
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

VERY IMPORTANT

Guys please report the HFPF issue to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association..Here is the link.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

The more complaints they receive the more likely that they could force BMW to issue a recall and fix this problem once and for all.

There is also an online petition to get our voices heard about the HPFP problems with our cars..PLEASE spread this around..get as many people to sign as possible.. I just did

http://www.petitiononline.com/fixpump/petition.html

Also this problem is finally starting to get some media attention so we need to make a stink to the rest of the world and not just here on the forums. Check this article out...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/au...ompa/19560998/

Last edited by tibra1; 08-26-2010 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
blkE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08" E92 335xi

HPFP failure issues usually occur when your car hits 20 to 30k miles. It happen to my girl friends 08" 535. The problem was suppose to be fixed on the 08 models but its still happening. DAMN I DON'T BELIEVE THE older generation BMW had that type of problem.
Appreciate 0