E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HELP!!! Procede Limp Mode During Install

06-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
ncsof18c
Night Hawk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
HELP!!! Procede Limp Mode During Install

I just bought a PROcede V3 PNP Rev I. for my 07 335i 6MT.

I was installing it today, following the directions on YouTube to a "T". When I finished installing the harness, it came to the time to start the vehicle (as per the video). (WITH JUST THE HARNESS INSTALLED)

The engine turned over the first time I pushed the start/stop button, however the starter really had to work for it.

Then I received (in order) the following error lights:
Suspension Control System Failed
Drive-off assistant has failed
Full engine power no longer available (limp mode light)

After that I contacted Vishnu through email and got this response:

"Be sure that you have only one arrow on either side of your connections. In other words, when you look at the connection between the factory sub connector, and the harness sub connector, you should only see one arrow on either side. If you see two arrows on one side, it has gone wrong."

That was not the problem.

The tech offered to work with me over the phone but at the time I couldn't. So I "screwed the pooch" on that one. I'm leaving for Jamaica in the morning and have to spend the next week trying to figure this out online before I get back and can talk to Vishnu.

Has anyone had a problem like this that they've resolved? This is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm kinda concerned.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsof18c View Post
I just bought a PROcede V3 PNP Rev I. for my 07 335i 6MT.

I was installing it today, following the directions on YouTube to a "T". When I finished installing the harness, it came to the time to start the vehicle (as per the video). (WITH JUST THE HARNESS INSTALLED)

The engine turned over the first time I pushed the start/stop button, however the starter really had to work for it.

Then I received (in order) the following error lights:
Suspension Control System Failed
Drive-off assistant has failed
Full engine power no longer available (limp mode light)

After that I contacted Vishnu through email and got this response:

"Be sure that you have only one arrow on either side of your connections. In other words, when you look at the connection between the factory sub connector, and the harness sub connector, you should only see one arrow on either side. If you see two arrows on one side, it has gone wrong."

That was not the problem.

The tech offered to work with me over the phone but at the time I couldn't. So I "screwed the pooch" on that one. I'm leaving for Jamaica in the morning and have to spend the next week trying to figure this out online before I get back and can talk to Vishnu.

Has anyone had a problem like this that they've resolved? This is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm kinda concerned.
I'm guessing you bought the Rev.1 PROcede used. If so, I'm also guessing that there were no bypass plugs plugged into the harness when you did the "harness only" test. If this was the case, that is the cause of the all the faults. If you didn't get bypass plugs with your PROcede, skip that part and just plug in the PROcede unit.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
ncsof18c
Night Hawk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
That's why you are the man! You hit it right on the head.

Since it's used, am I going to run the risk of running the wrong map and firmware? Can I update those before start-up, as long as the power is on?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsof18c View Post
That's why you are the man! You hit it right on the head.

Since it's used, am I going to run the risk of running the wrong map and firmware? Can I update those before start-up, as long as the power is on?
Yep... just install the procede, power the ignition ON and update to the latest map and firmware. Simple as that. Have fun!

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
ncsof18c
Night Hawk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
ohaywood
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Damn.. impressed.
      09-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
BlakeAction
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 G82

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have been having almost the same exact issue, except I have the v.2 Procede, NOT the PNP harness. Are these bypass plugs needed for the v.2 as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeAction View Post
I have been having almost the same exact issue, except I have the v.2 Procede, NOT the PNP harness. Are these bypass plugs needed for the v.2 as well?
watch the rev 2 install video. you'll see that there is no step that involves bypass plugs. So it's fairly simple. If you are having problem, it's likely that either the two DME plugs aren't plugged in to the DME. Or you have two subconnectors plugged in backwards. Just take your time and go over the work.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
BlakeAction
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Yeah, that's the video I've been using, and I've tried re-installing it on three separate occasions, always carefully following the instructions. Each time, I get the same errors. I doubt I did it wrong 3 times, right? :-) I guess it's possible that since there are a bunch of loose wires to connect, that one of the loom's wires has come disconnected inside the plastic covering and that's what is causing it. :-(

I didn't think it needed bypass plugs, but after reading the above post, I figured I would ask! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

The bypass plugs were used mainly for troubleshooting the harness. With the old pin-out harness sometimes the problem would lie with a loose connection. This is no longer the case with the PNP harness. The bypass were also good for when you take your car to the dealer. You just unplug the procede and install the bypass. It was more of a pain back in the day to take out the pin-out harness.
      09-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
watch the rev 2 install video. you'll see that there is no step that involves bypass plugs. So it's fairly simple. If you are having problem, it's likely that either the two DME plugs aren't plugged in to the DME. Or you have two subconnectors plugged in backwards. Just take your time and go over the work.

Shiv
And if your windshield wipers start going on there own, you swapped the two small sub connectors
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
BlakeAction
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Definitely don't think I swapped any of the connectors. I only worked on one connector at a time, following the video at every step. Do ya'll think I might be better off upgrading to the PNP harness for v.2 procedes? What do you gain (other than the obvious easy connections)? Worth it?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeAction View Post
Definitely don't think I swapped any of the connectors. I only worked on one connector at a time, following the video at every step. Do ya'll think I might be better off upgrading to the PNP harness for v.2 procedes? What do you gain (other than the obvious easy connections)? Worth it?
go for the v3 PnP upgrade. The car will drive better, have more features, and be a lot easier to install/remove. Either that, or go for a ne. PROcede Rev.2 kit which adds all the new CANBus functionality.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
suertudo14
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i (E90)

Similar situation

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday as I was coming home from work!
I had all the exact same warnings light up for me. I "limped" home at about 30 km/h. I have not modded the car in any way, I just bought the car from a dealership in Sept. I took it to the dealership today and the only thing that happened when I turned it on this morning was that the "check engine" light came on. Once they turned it on in the dealership (inside the garage...where it is heated) all was fine. They told me that i might have to replace the intake manifold (dunno why...cracks in it maybe?), but that they were going to let it sit outside over night and try it in the morning (when it isn't going to be nearly as cold as it was last night (-8 C/18 F). All I can think of is that it was COLD last night (-32 C/-26 F) and I was driving with the DTC on, but I was at a red light when it happened. Any ideas/suggestions that I can bring up to the mechanics? The car is under warranty so I'm not overly concerned, but I don't want this happenign again once the temp drops.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suertudo14 View Post
I had all the exact same warnings light up for me. I "limped" home at about 30 km/h. I have not modded the car in any way, I just bought the car from a dealership in Sept. I took it to the dealership today and the only thing that happened when I turned it on this morning was that the "check engine" light came on. Once they turned it on in the dealership (inside the garage...where it is heated) all was fine. They told me that i might have to replace the intake manifold (dunno why...cracks in it maybe?), but that they were going to let it sit outside over night and try it in the morning (when it isn't going to be nearly as cold as it was last night (-8 C/18 F). All I can think of is that it was COLD last night (-32 C/-26 F) and I was driving with the DTC on, but I was at a red light when it happened. Any ideas/suggestions that I can bring up to the mechanics? The car is under warranty so I'm not overly concerned, but I don't want this happenign again once the temp drops.
I had a check engine light in about the same manner as you a few days back. I was just cruising around with DTC activated, max boost recall was about 4PSI. I pulled codes and there were 2 related to the DSC module that started with a 5 (and mentioned the DSC control unit). It was the first time I have taken the car out in freezing weather. I just cleared them with the BT tool and they never came back. I ran the car hard yesterday with DTC on, spun the tires a few times, then went and did a couple of Dyno pulls with traction control off and did not throw any codes.

Hoping they don't come back.

Since this isn't tune related, maybe make another post, or search for others. I have seen people need to get the steering angle sensor or ABS sensors replaced.

Last edited by scottp999; 12-16-2009 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by suertudo14 View Post
Same thing happened to me on my 2006 330xi. They replaced the intake manifold and several other components. I actually had this happen 6-7 times and I finally got rid of that car.
Appreciate 0