BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Overheating after 1200 mile service

I have had two overheating warnings since my 1200 mile service. The first one was when I was stuck behind a truck on a steep climb. The second one happened yesterday while looking for a parking spot after driving less than one mile in 58 degree weather. It seems to be heating up when idling or at very low speeds.

What could the dealer have done to cause this or is it just a coincidence? I dropped it off this morning but have not heard anything from them yet. I have lots of bad thoughts running through my head right now like what if they used the wrong oil or drained the radiator fluid.

The oil level reads full and there haven't been any other warnings. The oil temerature got half way between 210 and the next notch. I am guessing it was around 240.
      06-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Did you ever check your coolant level??? It sucks that we don't have a coolant temp. gauge, but 240 on the oil at 58º is definitely a sign it overheated (mine barely gets past 210 even in triple-digit traffic).
It has to be coolant related, as your oil is full (it wouldn't matter if they put 5/30 or 10/60). The better question is since when are you low on coolant. Unfortunately we don't have a low coolant sensor on our reservoirs, so if you see no obvious leaks, it might have been that way since new; that's why I always check all fluid levels to make sure nothing is low. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just got word that there is no power going to the radiator fan. They have checked the fuses and sensors but can't figure it out. They said they don't have a wiring schematic which seems kind of odd. They are awaiting word back from the engineers in Munich.

Coolant and fluid fluid levels are all fine. It is always a good practice to check fluid levels after a service and I will do that in the future.
      06-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Just got word that there is no power going to the radiator fan.
Didn't think of that . Too much coincidence it stopped working after the service if you ask me, but it's certainly possible. Sounds like a severed wire to me, and it's a b*tch to trace those. Sorry to hear that man; hopefully they'll find the culprit soon. I'd start looking near where they worked, which is near the oil filter and air filter housings.

If I were you, I'd ask them to extend your warranty like if your car was a CPO, due to that overheating. Without a coolant temperature gauge, the fan should be monitored by the ECU if not receiving current (throwing a CEL) so people don't overheat their cars. Oh well. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

It turned out to be a loose relay. The SA said the wiring diagram was wrong and they traced the fan wire back to the correct relay which was not seated all the way. I would have thought the first thing they would do is make sure each relay is snug. I picked up after hours but will ask them which relay it was.