E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Why does the manual say not to top up oil?

07-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Why does the manual say not to top up oil?

In the user manual of both my old E46 and my new E90, it says to not add oil to the engine until the level on the dipstick (or computer in the case of the E90) falls to the minimum mark. At this point, you should add one whole litre.

Anyone know why this is? I don't feel easy about potentially running my new car with almost 1 litre of missing oil from the engine (not that it's lost any oil at the moment, but you know what I mean). What could possibly be the downsides of just topping up the oil when the level drops below maximum?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Most top-up oil bottles are 1 Litre
Most people buy one and throw the whole thing in because they dont want to store the rest
Overfilling is VERY bad

So they play safe and tell people to wait till the whole 1 litre is needed

If you take care to only put in the amount of oil required and make shure not to overfill the engine, then topping up before the whole 1 litre is needed is fine

I have found most BMW's dont really need a top-up between services, they dont usually drink muh oil, unless its a //M model
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

The engine will require quite a few litres of oil to begin with, so it's only the first of say 5 or 6 (perhaps more) litres that would normally be in the enging that has to be replaced. Not much really. Your enging will be safe on the rare occassion it needs a top up.

Nothing to worry about, really.

Hope you are enjoying your 325 jhbodle.

I take delivery of mine on Saturday 30th July (tomorrow)
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
The engine will require quite a few litres of oil to begin with, so it's only the first of say 5 or 6 (perhaps more) litres that would normally be in the enging that has to be replaced. Not much really. Your enging will be safe on the rare occassion it needs a top up.

Nothing to worry about, really.

Hope you are enjoying your 325 jhbodle.

I take delivery of mine on Saturday 30th July (tomorrow)
You are going to LOVE it! Don't worry if the engine seems a little weak at very low revs initially - this goes away during break in. The pull in 1st and 2nd gears is incredible!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
dreemcache
dreemcache
Italy
Rep
Drives: 325i E90 Ti. silver Nav/iDrive

Garage List
2006 325i E90  [0.00]
why not to top up

b/c if u pay BMW for their oil, and maintenance, they make money!!! I just brought mine in for a check up, and they didn't hesitate to charge me for a 1 litre top off!!!!!! 10 euros!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

If your capable of topping off correctly than it's no big deal. BMW didn't want to deal with people over filling the oil which can cause blowby past the piston rings and damage emission equipment. It's a bit overkill but a possibility for someone who tops off too much.