E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fuel Pump problem in UK?

06-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
black335iuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport

Fuel Pump problem in UK?

Hi guys,

Placed an order for a 335i this week with delivery in september.
Just been browsing around this forum and quite concerned at all these posts about the fuel pump problem - especially as I was very close to ordering the new e class coupe instead. I only didn't go with that because its a bit slow and the salesman was an arsehole.

Anyway, from as far as I can see, most of the posts about the fuel pump problem seem to be only in the USA. So I was wondering if its a specific problem to USA vehicles (perhaps the fuel used there) or have there been widespread problems in the UK and the rest of EU too?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by black335iuk View Post
Hi guys,

Placed an order for a 335i this week with delivery in september.
Just been browsing around this forum and quite concerned at all these posts about the fuel pump problem - especially as I was very close to ordering the new e class coupe instead. I only didn't go with that because its a bit slow and the salesman was an arsehole.

Anyway, from as far as I can see, most of the posts about the fuel pump problem seem to be only in the USA. So I was wondering if its a specific problem to USA vehicles (perhaps the fuel used there) or have there been widespread problems in the UK and the rest of EU too?

Thanks.
There have been very very few problems involving the HPFP int the UK and Europe. This is probably due to the fact that we use a much lower ethanol-content petrol in the EU than they do in the States. One of the most plausible theories coming from BMW UK is that the higher ethanol content in the States is causing the pumps to fail due to the decreased lubricational properties of the petrol.

We have many UK and EU member cars that are highly modified, have been running for thousands of miles in a high state of tune, and have had no issues with fuel pumps failing. My own car has now done over 12,000 miles in the current power configuration with no problems relating to the HPFP.

And two things - firstly, welcome to the forum!
Secondly, for UK/EU centric topics, given you are a UK-based member, have a browse in the UK Regional section as that's where most of the EU members hang out, as we have different configurations and options of cars (diesels etc) available to us than the guys in the US.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
black335iuk
Rep

Thanks for the reply!

It's very reassuring to hear that the problem isn't widespread in the UK. Just wondering if there have been any other common issues with the car? Hopefully this car will be as perfectly reliable as my 2000 CLK!

I've ordered the DCT transmission too. I've heard that similar gearboxes have had a fair share of trouble in the past - being jerky etc. in slow traffic. When I test drove the car it felt great, very smooth, and incredibly fast. But again, any problems known with this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
miopyk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 987 Boxster & R56 Cooper S

Over here the HPFS is fitted to the some of the 3.0 litre non turbo cars and I believe the later 2.5 litres as well. I have a 2007 3.0 litre e93 and my pump went 2 months after I got it. At the time the pumps were in short supply so it was off the road for more than 2 weeks (some people had longer waits) and I've not had any problems since.

At the time I was told that it was the pipework that was failing not the pump but once it went the pump then suffered damage.

I think there are less issues now but it can still happen. I would think that if it does they'll be able to fix it fairly quickly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Miopyk
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Like Miopyk, my pump went shortly after delivery in Spring 2007. Took BMW almost 2 months to get the pump and fit it!

I believe they changed some software as mine got 'recalled' to have a software update - when I asked what the update was for, I was informed that it was to prevent fuel pump failure.

Most cars will have been serviced by BMW and had this upgrade if it was necessary. I have not heard of a pump failing now for a long time.

Enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
black335iuk
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully as my car will be 3 years into the product run, they'll have ironed out all the main issues - from your replies it doesn't look like the pump should be something to be over wary about!

M3-fast, just wondering how you've found the DCT? I understand there's been a few software updates for it. How do you find it in traffic and general day to day usage?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by black335iuk View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully as my car will be 3 years into the product run, they'll have ironed out all the main issues - from your replies it doesn't look like the pump should be something to be over wary about!

M3-fast, just wondering how you've found the DCT? I understand there's been a few software updates for it. How do you find it in traffic and general day to day usage?

Thanks.
I find the DCT box very good indeed. In traffic it is great as on 'setting 2' it pulls away in second so in traffic queues, this really helps. It can be a little clunky when the car is cold (in operation not sounding clunky!!) especially when plodding round the estate before hitting the main road. When given some beans it really comes into it's element and you find yourself changing gear just for the sake of it! It is the best of both worlds really, and I am not sure how I could get used to living with another car without one!
Appreciate 0