E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Which is the best intake?

View Poll Results: Which is the best intake system?
Stock Airbox + Drop-in 15 28.85%
CAI System (ie..STETT/UR) 13 25.00%
DCI's (ie..BMS) 24 46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

06-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Which is the best intake?

I have read countless posts and threads about intakes and cai's. I still have not drawn a conclusion to which is better. I have read that STETT makes the best CAI system, but not so sure about the dci's. Many people swear that the stock airbox +drop-in is the cheapest and best system. I just got my AR DP's and want to know which option to go with. I don't want to start a flame war, just want some feedback with personal experiences.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Just piece together your own DCI.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any intake that you decide will be the best one....this holds true for anyone that votes, so this is a very biased poll
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

OEM. Dont waste your time with DCIs
      06-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
i have oem with drop in helene. was gonna switch to DCI why do u say oem box is better???
      06-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Once you add a tune and downpipes into the mix, a DCI can be somewhat beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

I wish there was a way to measure airflow characteristics. I am pretty sure that a stock airbox would have better AIT's than the dci's, but may not be as good for airflow. Maybe I should be a guinea pig and dyno both stock airbox and dci's.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
DCI? HVI? Stock!

My first aftermarket intake was a Logic HVI. First impression was the great throttle response and ofcourse, the amplified sound of the snails spinning. It bares a very close resemblance to the Stett CAI with regards to the placement of the filter. Car picked up 8-10 rwhp over the stock filter. Felt lots of torque loss at higher rpm though.

Onto the aFe DCI pro-dry intake ......
I've been a long time admirer of this intake since it's release last Summer. Dual filters, a heat shield and the design/ease of use (cleaning access) from a company dedicated to the air intake community made me feel like there was a definite benefit. I dyno'd the car with this intake last year and was one of the apparently VERY few to have shown a sustained rwhp gain of 15-17 over the stock intake. Hood closed, 40 mph wind and heat enough to melt asphalt. After long runs there is an obvious loss of hp I believe to be in lieu of heatsoak. Power is still steady into the 5000 rpm range but tapers off quickly past that point. I still feel like it's done it's job to this day.

Now ......... the Macht Schnell drop-in filter. (The replacement to the former Helene company filter)
The car feels like the low-end torque is stronger than with either of the former intakes. Stronger pulling definitely, car still sounds like it's turbocharged without being obnoxious. Throttle response is very good all the way to redline. With either of the previous intakes the car felt as though torque and overall power began to diminish much sooner above 5000rpm. Not the case with the drop-in.

The car has and currently retains a Dinan Stage II flash soon to be joined with a JB+. At the time of the dyno the car had the Dinan flash as well as the Borla catback exhaust and air scoops installed.

Considering the money that we as modders like to drop on these cars; I wish I had thought more about going with the drop-in rather than the others. Less expensive, retaining the "stock" appearance and seemingly a better performer at a 1/4 of the price of a DCI.

Macht Schnell = $89.00 plus shipping from EAS
aFe DCI pro-dry = $375.00 plus new
Logic HVI = $375.00 new @ last year's price

Putting things into perspective ........ the Logic and aFe are for sale.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
ohaywood
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
If you play it by the raw mechanics of an engine, if you have DCI with DPs and an intercooler, not to mention a tune, that would be the ideal combination. More cold airflow=more power, and let me tell you, my BMS DCI sucks up air like a damn turbine.
      06-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

BMS DCI. Easy install and simple. Gets the job done damn well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #11
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
My first aftermarket intake was a Logic HVI. First impression was the great throttle response and ofcourse, the amplified sound of the snails spinning. It bares a very close resemblance to the Stett CAI with regards to the placement of the filter. Car picked up 8-10 rwhp over the stock filter. Felt lots of torque loss at higher rpm though.

I've been a long time admirer of this intake since it's release last Summer. Dual filters, a heat shield and the design/ease of use (cleaning access) from a company dedicated to the air intake community made me feel like there was a definite benefit. I dyno'd the car with this intake last year and was one of the apparently VERY few to have shown a sustained rwhp gain of 15-17 over the stock intake. Hood closed, 40 mph wind and heat enough to melt asphalt. After long runs there is an obvious loss of hp I believe to be in lieu of heatsoak. Power is still steady into the 5000 rpm range but tapers off quickly past that point. I still feel like it's done it's job to this day.

Now ......... the Macht Schnell drop-in filter. (The replacement to the former Helene company filter)
The car feels like the low-end torque is stronger than with either of the former intakes. Stronger pulling definitely, car still sounds like it's turbocharged without being obnoxious. Throttle response is very good all the way to redline. With either of the previous intakes the car felt as though torque and overall power began to diminish much sooner above 5000rpm. Not the case with the drop-in.

The car has and currently retains a Dinan Stage II flash soon to be joined with a JB+. At the time of the dyno the car had the Dinan flash as well as the Borla catback exhaust and air scoops installed.

Considering the money that we as modders like to drop on these cars; I wish I had thought more about going with the drop-in rather than the others. Less expensive, retaining the "stock" appearance and seemingly a better performer at a 1/4 of the price of a DCI.

How can the Logic HVI resemble the STETT CAI? The STETT CAI draws from the fender outside of the engine compartment and the Logic HVI draws from inside the engine compartment. I think the UR and STETT CAI are the only intakes that draw from air outside of the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:

here we go again..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
How can the Logic HVI resemble the STETT CAI? The STETT CAI draws from the fender outside of the engine compartment and the Logic HVI draws from inside the engine compartment. I think the UR and STETT CAI are the only intakes that draw from air outside of the engine bay.
Resembles in the general design and placement of the filter ...... the design was out before the CAI that goes into the fender. Logic just didn't take it a step further.

VERY general resemblance.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #14
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
here we go again..
Here we go again?
I haven't been there yet ....... from what I know, the JB+ would have specific sw written to work with the Dinan specifically. This JB+ wouldn't work with anything other than a Dinan Stage II tune.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Resembles in the general design and placement of the filter ...... the design was out before the CAI that goes into the fender. Logic just didn't take it a step further.

VERY general resemblance.
The filter on the STETT CAI is probably a foot away in a enormously different design. The Logic is MUCH more comparable to the DCIs than anything else because it draws air from the engine compartment. Remember the STETT CAI has been around for many years.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
The filter on the STETT CAI is probably a foot away in a enormously different design. The Logic is MUCH more comparable to the DCIs than anything else because it draws air from the engine compartment. Remember the STETT CAI has been around for many years.
Not with regard to these cars they haven't ........ what I was trying to say about the Logic is that they had a decent idea with the placement of the filter ........ without it being a full blown CAI.

I happen to think it was an enormous waste of money, none the less.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
+1

I have the drop-in from http://www.bmcairfilters.com/.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      06-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #18
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

UR CAI (with vent shroud removal).

It also hands down looks the best. I'm a fan of chrome though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

I liked my BMS single,and just installed the BMS dual cone,more for looks, but i like it just as much if not much more than the single.You wont gain much in any hp at all between the single and dual cones expect for looks,until your up around the 400 hp range.Then the extra surface area of the dual cones will come into play as far as a little more hp and trq.Price cant be beat,ease of installation and removal if you have to.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
E92White
**N54 Power Baby**
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i SGM

Honestly,it really depends on your setup.At stock boost levels, intakes are really worthless..whether its a single cold air,dci,etc.Now,as you turn up the boost,and make more power,you're gonna want to get rid of any restriction to make sure you're getting the airflow in and out as quickly as possible.Running the stock airbox at high boost levels,is really pushing it IMHO.

Bottom line : Get whats appropriate for your setup,and your budget.

PS: With the exception of hotrod,all the fastest guys run DCI's. Both on the Vishnu side,and BMS.
Appreciate 0