E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New 320d ES

08-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

New 320d ES

So, I picked the keys up and had a brilliant drive home. 35 mile journey, half country lanes, half motorway.

Brilliant - I've really missed driving a BMW for the last 7/1/2 months. The E90 is better than my old E46 in all aspects and light years away from the Saab.

The guy who had it before was a smoker, so it whiffs a bit, but it's only done 2100 miles, so that should fade away. The car has PDC, sunroof and SE wheels as extras (curious as that brings it over SE list price!)

Did a quick photo this evening - I love the look of this car - even with the piddly 16" rims!

Iselaiw - any updates on your somewhat quicker, beefier new arrival?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES-Jet
So, I picked the keys up and had a brilliant drive home. 35 mile journey, half country lanes, half motorway.

Brilliant - I've really missed driving a BMW for the last 7/1/2 months. The E90 is better than my old E46 in all aspects and light years away from the Saab.

The guy who had it before was a smoker, so it whiffs a bit, but it's only done 2100 miles, so that should fade away. The car has PDC, sunroof and SE wheels as extras (curious as that brings it over SE list price!)

Did a quick photo this evening - I love the look of this car - even with the piddly 16" rims!

Congratulations ES-Jet!

You'll enjoy the next few thousand miles of driving even more.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:

Bring it on up to Donington on 23rd September. To paraphrase my dad from when I was growing up, "take it out and get the stink blown off".
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

Unfortunately I won't be able to make 23rd September ---- but have a great time
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

Very strange that someone would pay more for an ES than an SE, but nice that you get the benefit.

Is it a lease car (might explain why)

Anyway ... glad you are enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
isleaiw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE, silver with black lea

Another Friday arrival....

ES, yep it was waiting for me when I got home.... Having had an E46 in Sport spec, I was a bit concerned that the SE may be a little "dull" to look at, particularly as it is finished in silver which is a very common, sensible colour...

But I needn't have worried. It looks very grown up and sophisticated compared to my E46, but it suits the car. First impressions on getting in were good to - I like the dash, very clear and simple but elegant. Interesting that my 13 year old son had worked out how to operate all of the gadgets even though my wife hadn't take it in! Driving position felt good - easy to get comfy - and there seemed to be alot more space in back (my other concern!).

Time for a trip round the block - first impression was that the steering was heavy, the clutch heavy and the gearbox notchy. However, once I had manoeuvred the builders mess and got off the drive, I suddenly realised how it all comes together when moving. The growl from the engine is great, the shove unbelievable. It rides firmly but comfortably, it goes round corners well (although I'm not really pushing it yet!) and it is so refined. Got all the spec I need (if not what I'd want!) and has even impressed the better half - she hasn't mentioned that I should have had a 5 series once!

So I don't know about September - it feels like Christmas to me! Although I did pass a Sparkling Graphite 330 Sport on way to work this morning and that did look stunning....

I would post pics but haven't got any and its dirty now - why would i take photos when I could drive it!

Kind Regs

Ian
Appreciate 0