New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Roukan
Roach
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

My Z4 3.0 and 3.5 test drives

Hey guys,
I just test drove both of these cars back to back. Both were without sport packages, but they interestingly both had the adaptive suspension feature. I thought the adaptive suspension only came with a sport pack, but i guess I was wrong. I first drove the 3.0 it had 17 inch all season tires(225/17) and a stick! I've been wanting to test out the new stick on the Z4 because BMW seems to upgrade their stick with the arrival of the z4 and it then spreads to the other models. The next gen 3 series for example should have the same gear box. It was a black on red leather an the car was beautiful. The red seemed more tamed than I was fearing, and I could see myself getting it.
The fit and finish are truely first rate. The steering was a little lighter than my 328xi but the car was more nimble. The gearbox felt very similar to my current one with the characteristic soft but precise BMW feel but the throws were slightly shorter which made things more enjoyable. Overall the gear box is not much of a departure from the old - I would say he jump from the E46 manual to the E90 one is greater. The throw distance is the real only change i noticed. I enjoyed the ride greatly and the bridgestone runflats were much softer than my conti-runflats. This car has a unique drive feel and felt very luxurious and even somewhat soft. The unique thing is if you pushed this car it could handle it effortlessly. Compared to a boxster this car feels much more luxurious and certainly the boxter feel more nimble, but this car is probably very nearly or just as competent. I really enjoyed reving the engine going through all the gears and the salesman was real impressed with my handling of the gear box. The engine was definitly quick but not overwhelming. The feeling of the long hood with its beautiful lines in your veiw felt great and you really get to enjoy the external beauty of this car while driving more than most cars.
The 3.5 was a DCT and first off I'm not a fan of auto anything. I know technically the DCT is a dual clutch manual, but even in manual mode it could not replicate the 3.0's fun factorwith its manual and that's saying a lot given the engine. Somehow the power of the 3.5 was too much. Reving the DCT n low gears was short cause the car was just too fast. You get to illegal speeds too fast IMO to really rev the car properly. Maybe in a manual I would feel differently, but between these two car I would definity choose the 3.0! The exhaust note of the 3.5 is incredible though. Very deep and confident sounding....
Overall I strongly suggest that you test drive this car before buying. It is not a fun to drive as a boxster, but somehow that doesn't make it a lessor car. The drive feel of the Z4 is very unique in a good way and when you combine this with the practicality of a hard top and BMW reliability/comfort it really is a compelling option.....
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Z4Life
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TTS, BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

Thanks for your review mate, an interesting read. I've ordered the 35i with manual, hope I'm not disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
strider41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 E92

My Driving Review of the Z4 30i

Saw the new Z4 30i and 35i at Passport this afternoon. Opted to drive a Black 30i with MT and Kansas Coral Red w/o sports package. Know what the N54 can do. This is a luxurious and pleasurable cruiser.

Exhaust sound similar on start up to N54 but not when driving. Steering does not feel quite as tight as my E92 and suspension softer than my 335 with ZSP even on sport setting. Focus is on luxury and comfort as opposed to sportiness. Good torque in 5th or 6th gear. You can feel it pull. Just not like an N54 but more than adequate. Silky smooth shifter and lots of fun running throught the gears.

Trunk space still very limited with the top down and would probably accomodate two 15"W x 28-30"L duffles with top up. Good head space for me at 5'11" and good driver ergonomics but my E92 has more comfortable driving position for my build. Forward visibility is good but rearview mirror did obstruct some forward viewing angles. Rear vision is adequate with top up. Top mechanism is less complex than the E93 which is a strong point in my view. Appears to be more solid and less fragile.

Great looks and toy as a daily driver and day weekend cruiser and very nice with the top down. Not the car I would take for a weekend or week long distance trip as space is at a premium. Overall a fun car and focused on luxury rather than sportiness.

I wondered if I would prefer the Z4 30i over my E92 and got my answer. Now I have to drive the 35i to confirm my conclusion.