New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

New vs. "Old" rush to judgement

A better comparison than the pervious one. The E85 (2006-2008) still looks sharp as ever, this in response to the stupid "comparison" of a sDrive35i Deep Sea Blue Metallic to a 2003 (LOL) Maroon Z4, joke. Look below and say something.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I was/am a fan of the old Z4, but the new one is better looking (inside and out) to me, period.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
zedfive
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I was/am a fan of the old Z4, but the new one is better looking (inside and out) to me, period.
I agree
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

i think bmw is heading in a different direction. the new z4 is going to be a mass produced car that in my opinion has lost some sportiness in exchange for luxury.
      05-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Z4Life
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TTS, BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

'The E85 (2006-2008) still looks sharp as ever...'

You have to be joking, I had the 2006 Z4 and changed it for an Audi TTS and the only thing I missed was not having an open top. I honestly think the old Z4's front end is too plain, timid and boring and the interior is poor at best. Change was needed to sharpen it up and BMW corrected the two major floors IMHO. To be brutally honest, I think you'll find the E85 lost its sharpness two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
i think bmw is heading in a different direction. the new z4 is going to be a mass produced car that in my opinion has lost some sportiness in exchange for luxury.
I think all of them are mass produced. I love the look of the Z4 Coupe, but not the roadster as much though. That being said, I like the look of the new car more. I wish it handled as well as the old car, but it isn't too far off. It does feel odd with a nose that hangs out that far. I took an extended test drive today (35i with the adaptive suspension) and took some sharp turns back and forth. There wasn't too much body roll, but it felt like it due to sitting back from the center of gravity (at least I assume that is why.) Observing it from the passenger seat made it easier to tell as well.

I also took the car down some uneven roads with some nasty dips and didn't bottom out the suspension as some people have claimed. I was very worried about that and am sure I will be happy with the suspension and handling of the car now. I wonder if the sport package would make a difference vs a normal car with adaptive suspension. I doubt that it is much different...who knows. None of the reviews that I have seen pointed out one. Does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
GunSpeed
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
+1

Yesterday I sat in my new Z4 E89 which had just arrived at my dealer's and although I still love my current Z4 E85 I'm glad I went for the new one. To me it's a serious step up in every way, it looks incredible and it feels incredible...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
+100!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't know what are you trying to show here... This is Mk2 forum, we are looking forward to see new z4 pictures, not old one.

When you see new Z4 in flesh and is parked next to old Z4, you see difference which is huge. I was big fan of old z4, but after seeing both in fhesh, it looked dated, simple, like some old Honda, especially when you look interior, which is boring. On other hand, new Z4 looks much more expensive, someone who don't know a lot about a cars would easily think its same range as Mercedes SL, while for old Z4 he would think its same range as Mazda Miata.

Comparison between old and new Z4 is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #10
Niels
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '85 Citroën 2CV / '09 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
...When you see new Z4 in flesh and is parked next to old Z4, you see difference which is huge. I was big fan of old z4, but after seeing both in fhesh, it looked dated, simple, like some old Honda, especially when you look interior, which is boring. On other hand, new Z4 looks much more expensive, someone who don't know a lot about a cars would easily think its same range as Mercedes SL, while for old Z4 he would think its same range as Mazda Miata...
Exactly!

I think the old Z4 was cool and nice and manly and ... but the interior was just cheapass!

I love the new Z4, but I'll always like the old one
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
DDS246
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sdrive35

I have long been BMW admirer, passenger for many many times, but only drives a few occasions. I have in the past refused to buy a BMW for one STUPID reason : the orange/red instrument panel lighting at night. It wasn't til the arrival of the new Z4 for me to cave in and take the BMW plunge. I am not saying that the old Z4 not unique in its own way. It is ,however, the new Z4 which wows me with that " I've got to have one" feeling.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Life View Post
'The E85 (2006-2008) still looks sharp as ever...'

You have to be joking, I had the 2006 Z4 and changed it for an Audi TTS and the only thing I missed was not having an open top. I honestly think the old Z4's front end is too plain, timid and boring and the interior is poor at best. Change was needed to sharpen it up and BMW corrected the two major floors IMHO. To be brutally honest, I think you'll find the E85 lost its sharpness two years ago.
If you seriously switched a Z4 for an Audi TT, man you really got cancel your account in this forum and see a pscyhologist lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Z4Life
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TTS, BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
If you seriously switched a Z4 for an Audi TT, man you really got cancel your account in this forum and see a pscyhologist lol.
Fool, I changed to the TTS in September because I knew the price of old Z4 would fall as the new one was being released in 2009. The TTS is a stunning car and I should get my Z4 next month so I've only been without a Z4 for a few months.

PS. If I need to see a psychologist, you need to see a Psychiatrist!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

These threads comparing new to old always fascinate me. The new is simply superior and more up-to-date in design....interior and exterior-wise. Put it this way: the old Z4 convertible (note vert not coupe) never turned my head but the new Z4 almost yanks it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Since opinions are flying on this thread, here's mine(FWIW). The "old" clearly looks dated to me - both front and rear(especially rear). The front never appealed to me. Borderline ugly, even when it first came out.
The "new" looks current, maybe even a little ahead of it's time, from every angle. Perhaps less sporty from the rear, but clearly more clean and sophisticated. The interior, well, that's not even close.

cheers,
Appreciate 0