New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
germantester
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Mercedes S550

Gathering Opinions

Hey folks,

I just joined this community on reference from a friend and would like to gather opinions on a few options I may change while I still can on a newly ordered Z4 sDrive35i for my wife. I chose the Z4 for her as it is new and more exclusive than the Merc offerings. This will be her birthday gift and her main uses of the car will be to see her friends, shopping, going to the salon, charity work, etc woman stuff.

So the build currently is: Orion Silver, Ivory White Interior, Premium Package + Premium Sound, DCT, Navigation/HD Radio, Satellite Radio, PDC, and Comfort Access.

Now for her needs, do you think the sport package is worthwhile? Also, are any of the features selected not worthwhile?

In particular, I would like to hear opinions from other females. I'd love to ask her directly, but it would be nice if this was a surprise.

I asked my secretary for her opinion and she was too enamored with the car to give any useful opinion.

Much appreciated,
Antonius.

(And if a 650 convertible would work better, feel free to voice that opinion!)

Last edited by germantester; 05-06-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
germantester
United_States
Rep

Also, the car may be picked up in Europe. It's cheaper and would make for a great surprise.

Good idea? (I'm quite insecure of my own ideas as they usually backfire )
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I think you wife should be happy with that configuration. I doubt she will stress the car to the point of it needing the sport package. The new Z4 seems to be the perfect match for someone like your wife.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I think the only part of the sports package that might be desirable is the wheels, it certainly doesn't sound like adjustable suspension or sports seats are a requirement, but the aesthetics of the sports wheels may be.

That's all subjective though and I'm sure BMW would happily sell you a set of wheels at a later date if that became an issue, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Your wife is going to be very happy with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
germantester
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
I think the only part of the sports package that might be desirable is the wheels, it certainly doesn't sound like adjustable suspension or sports seats are a requirement, but the aesthetics of the sports wheels may be.

That's all subjective though and I'm sure BMW would happily sell you a set of wheels at a later date if that became an issue, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Your wife is going to be very happy with the car.
A great point about the wheels. $3500 isn't bad for a nice set of 19"s that helps the car look a lot nicer. I'll take everything else as a freebie!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
milhouse
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantester View Post
Also, the car may be picked up in Europe. It's cheaper and would make for a great surprise.

Good idea? (I'm quite insecure of my own ideas as they usually backfire )

that is an excelent ide! And then mayby travel to Paris or ny other nice city.

I dont know what the sportspackage is but the sportsseats are a must. The number 1 priority for me. she will like it. Arent you going to drive it?

I work at a BMW dealership but how much you put on your car doesent effect me. I would drop something like oppgraded stero for the sportsseats.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Hey folks,

I just joined this community on reference from a friend and would like to gather opinions on a few options I may change while I still can on a newly ordered Z4 sDrive35i for my wife. I chose the Z4 for her as it is new and more exclusive than the Merc offerings. This will be her birthday gift and her main uses of the car will be to see her friends, shopping, going to the salon, charity work, etc woman stuff.

So the build currently is: Orion Silver, Ivory White Interior, Premium Package + Premium Sound, DCT, Navigation/HD Radio, Satellite Radio, PDC, and Comfort Access.

Now for her needs, do you think the sport package is worthwhile? Also, are any of the features selected not worthwhile?

In particular, I would like to hear opinions from other females. I'd love to ask her directly, but it would be nice if this was a surprise.

I asked my secretary for her opinion and she was too enamored with the car to give any useful opinion.

Much appreciated,
Antonius.

(And if a 650 convertible would work better, feel free to voice that opinion!)
Not knowing what type of ride your wife likes, makes it a bit hard to be pro or con for the adaptive suspension, but choosing it would be the safer side.

According to BMW marketing material the adaptive suspension gives you more comfort than the standard E89 suspension in "Normal" mode and more sporty rides than the E85 in "Sport+". So definitely with the adaptive suspension it will be a more versatile car and most probably selling the car at a later stage with the adaptive suspension could be easier.

Maybe you want to check out this page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3525999...7615722693868/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
germantester
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
that is an excelent ide! And then mayby travel to Paris or ny other nice city.

I dont know what the sportspackage is but the sportsseats are a must. The number 1 priority for me. she will like it. Arent you going to drive it?

I work at a BMW dealership but how much you put on your car doesent effect me. I would drop something like oppgraded stero for the sportsseats.
Makes sense...I may drive it once or twice to see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post
Not knowing what type of ride your wife likes, makes it a bit hard to be pro or con for the adaptive suspension, but choosing it would be the safer side.

According to BMW marketing material the adaptive suspension gives you more comfort than the standard E89 suspension in "Normal" mode and more sporty rides than the E85 in "Sport+". So definitely with the adaptive suspension it will be a more versatile car and most probably selling the car at a later stage with the adaptive suspension could be easier.

Maybe you want to check out this page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3525999...7615722693868/
Thanks for that link, that sealed the deal for me and I have made the change.

I appreciate all the help, thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense...I may drive it once or twice to see how it is.

Thanks for that link, that sealed the deal for me and I have made the change.

I appreciate all the help, thanks all.
There is one more thing:

I have ordered my 23i in orion silver as well. Be aware that the default color of the roll over bars is normal silver (which does not go very well with the orion silver with the roof down).

I asked my dealer to paint the roll over bars in orion silver and he will do it free of charge before I pick up the car. It's very simple - only two pieces of plastic that need to be painted. Think about it - I think it makes the car look better if it is in orion silver and your wife could like it.

Just my two cents...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
germantester
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post
There is one more thing:

I have ordered my 23i in orion silver as well. Be aware that the default color of the roll over bars is normal silver (which does not go very well with the orion silver with the roof down).

I asked my dealer to paint the roll over bars in orion silver and he will do it free of charge before I pick up the car. It's very simple - only two pieces of plastic that need to be painted. Think about it - I think it makes the car look better if it is in orion silver and your wife could like it.

Just my two cents...
My dealer agreed to this for free as well! Thanks for the suggestion, the car will look much nicer now!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My dealer agreed to this for free as well! Thanks for the suggestion, the car will look much nicer now!

Thanks
I have taken delivery of mine mid of May.

Here is a pic of my roll bars painted in orion silver.
Attached Images

Last edited by aheinz_71; 06-07-2009 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
well very nice to finally see them painted - excellent idea!