E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Case found guilty in Irvine, Orange County (Please help)

04-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Case found guilty in Irvine, Orange County (Please help)

Hello guys, I got a ticket a while ago in Irvine, CA and tried to fight it by submitting a Trial of Written Declaration. I checked on the court website today and it said that I was found guilty on 4/3. Now, I already paid $262 worth of bail but when I checked the "Sentence" tab, I saw that the fine was $70. So now I am perplexed. Is the fine reduced to $70? Or I now have to pay $70 more because I fought the case and may have involved more court fee? And also the "no state institution record found", does that have anything to do with the point system that reports to the insurance agencies or that is irrelevant for a traffic case? If you have some helpful knowledge to share with me please help me out. I am planning to give the court a call tomorrow but I want to know the right things to ask. Thank you for all your help guys, please see attached.
Attached Images

04-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I would think you owe an additional $70.
You can always try to fight it again
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i think that is additional fees. you need to request a Trial de Novo now. let me know how it goes. i always wonder what that do. i used ticket assassin couple months ago for speeding and i won that case.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

what you get a ticket for anways?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
For speeding. It was a 84MPH in 65MPH zone. The Irvine Officer insured that it is required for them to show up at court so I know I have no chance to fight it. But I would like to know if I could show up at court and ask for reduction of fine and still ask for traffic school? Please chime in, thanks Paul and Long for the responses.
      04-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
if this is your first speeding ticket they may reduce your fine, but you can take traffic school for sure, unless you already went in the past 18 month.

i actually have to do traffic school in the next couple of days. got clocked doing 83 on 65.
      04-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Does the trial by written declaration work a lot?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFM3 View Post
Does the trial by written declaration work a lot?
it worked for me.. i was caught doing 90 mph in a 65 zone.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
i think that is additional fees. you need to request a Trial de Novo now. let me know how it goes. i always wonder what that do. i used ticket assassin couple months ago for speeding and i won that case.
only if i knew this sooner. Got caught doing 60 on a 45 in the MDX and my insurance went up $600 per year
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
only if i knew this sooner. Got caught doing 60 on a 45 in the MDX and my insurance went up $600 per year
damnn
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
if this is your first speeding ticket they may reduce your fine, but you can take traffic school for sure, unless you already went in the past 18 month.

i actually have to do traffic school in the next couple of days. got clocked doing 83 on 65.
you could actually do it again if you have not had any violations within the last twelve months but it would be up to the judge
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #13
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
damn.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #14
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
going to the court tomorrow, ill keep u guys updated
      04-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'll post my experience with this for anyone else that might go through this process.

I got a ticket back in August '08 for doing 82 on the 5 freeway near the Commerce area. I went online and found my ticket, and requested an extension. I believe the initial due date was October 08, then I had it extended til Dec/Jan 09. At that point, I decided to take my chances by doing Trial by Declaration. The due date for the written letter of declaration was sometime in early February. I did some research on how to write one, but none of the examples I found on the net applied to my violation which was basically speeding in excess of 65mph on the freeway.

I knew I had a fairly slim chance of winning since I had no argument, but I wrote up a story, and at the end of the declaration, I wrote that if I was found guilty, I would like to request Traffic school... Since it's been a few years since my last ticket, I was sure they would allow me that option. So a week or two after sending in my declaration papers, I receive a verdict that said I was found guilty, with the option to request for a new trial. On the verdict, there was also something in the comments section that says the Judge granted me traffic school if I was eligible. I thought that in order for me to get traffic school, I would have to request a new Trial De Novo since there was no form for me to sign to do traffic school. So I sent in a new Trial de Novo, and within a few days I receive a new court date for March 24, 2009.

A few days after receiving my court date, I get sent something in the mail telling me that since I was eligible for traffic school, I would have to send in a check for $39.00 and bring it into the courthouse. So since i was going to be busy on the 24th of March, I decided to go to the courthouse a week before and pay the clerk the $39.00 and opt for traffic school. The clerk told me it was too late for me to change my plea since they need to give the officer at least a 10 day notice if I wasn't going to show up. So basically, I wasted a trip to the courthouse and if I didn't show up for my new trial, I would be screwed.

So when I showed up at the courthouse for my trial, my only intention was to just ask the judge for traffic school. The bailiff told all the defendants that if you were eligible for traffic school, you would need to tell them PRIOR to the judge hearing the case. Once the judge came into the courtroom, then it would be too late to ask for traffic school... once he started hearing the case, it was too late. Luckily, the bailiff also announced which officers were present for the trial... And roughly of the 25-30 defendants, about 30% of the officers did not show up... Including mine. So basically I got lucky my cop didn't show up for my trial, and all I had to do was wait for the judge to come into the court, and go up to him, tell him my name, and sign a sheet of paper. Then my case was dismissed and I was allowed to leave. They will send me my $277 refund in the mail in 6-8 weeks.

If you aren't sure if you are eligible for traffic school, the judge offered something called a 12 hour school... I have no idea what that is.. but I think it's for those that have already taken traffic school in the past 18 months, but it won't erase the point off your record.. or something.. I have no idea.

So overall, I was fairly lucky... got the ticket in August, and with all the extensions and other nonsense, 7 months passed by... and my cop doesn't show up. But, there was this one girl there that was SO LUCKY. The bailiff announced that her cop didn't show up, then the phone rings.... it was the cop, telling the bailiff that he was going to be late 5-10 minutes, and to wait for him.. So this girl is all bummed out, and she was stressing out whether or not she should take traffic school. So her cop finally shows up, and walks up to the bailiff and clerks. The cop tells them something, and then goes to sit down. Then this girl goes up to bailiff and asks for traffic school... The clerk overheard the girl requesting traffic school, and basically told her that "It's too late...just sit down..."... so now, this chick is really stressing... she was asking everyone in the court what happens next...

So the bailiff starts reading alphabetically those defendants that were going to get their case dismissed since the officer didn't show. Then they announced the girls name... And the clerk said outloud that "her case is dismissed since the officer has no recollection of it.." I was like WHAT THE FUCK... So the few of us around her were like, holy shit.. you got so lucky.. the cop was right there in the courtroom, and he just told the clerk that he has no recollection of giving her a ticket.

That was the first time I've ever heard of a cop doing that... but, I guess there are some cops that are honest..

Ha, that's my story..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #16
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post
I'll post my experience with this for anyone else that might go through this process.

I got a ticket back in August '08 for doing 82 on the 5 freeway near the Commerce area. I went online and found my ticket, and requested an extension. I believe the initial due date was October 08, then I had it extended til Dec/Jan 09. At that point, I decided to take my chances by doing Trial by Declaration. The due date for the written letter of declaration was sometime in early February. I did some research on how to write one, but none of the examples I found on the net applied to my violation which was basically speeding in excess of 65mph on the freeway.

I knew I had a fairly slim chance of winning since I had no argument, but I wrote up a story, and at the end of the declaration, I wrote that if I was found guilty, I would like to request Traffic school... Since it's been a few years since my last ticket, I was sure they would allow me that option. So a week or two after sending in my declaration papers, I receive a verdict that said I was found guilty, with the option to request for a new trial. On the verdict, there was also something in the comments section that says the Judge granted me traffic school if I was eligible. I thought that in order for me to get traffic school, I would have to request a new Trial De Novo since there was no form for me to sign to do traffic school. So I sent in a new Trial de Novo, and within a few days I receive a new court date for March 24, 2009.

A few days after receiving my court date, I get sent something in the mail telling me that since I was eligible for traffic school, I would have to send in a check for $39.00 and bring it into the courthouse. So since i was going to be busy on the 24th of March, I decided to go to the courthouse a week before and pay the clerk the $39.00 and opt for traffic school. The clerk told me it was too late for me to change my plea since they need to give the officer at least a 10 day notice if I wasn't going to show up. So basically, I wasted a trip to the courthouse and if I didn't show up for my new trial, I would be screwed.

So when I showed up at the courthouse for my trial, my only intention was to just ask the judge for traffic school. The bailiff told all the defendants that if you were eligible for traffic school, you would need to tell them PRIOR to the judge hearing the case. Once the judge came into the courtroom, then it would be too late to ask for traffic school... once he started hearing the case, it was too late. Luckily, the bailiff also announced which officers were present for the trial... And roughly of the 25-30 defendants, about 30% of the officers did not show up... Including mine. So basically I got lucky my cop didn't show up for my trial, and all I had to do was wait for the judge to come into the court, and go up to him, tell him my name, and sign a sheet of paper. Then my case was dismissed and I was allowed to leave. They will send me my $277 refund in the mail in 6-8 weeks.

If you aren't sure if you are eligible for traffic school, the judge offered something called a 12 hour school... I have no idea what that is.. but I think it's for those that have already taken traffic school in the past 18 months, but it won't erase the point off your record.. or something.. I have no idea.

So overall, I was fairly lucky... got the ticket in August, and with all the extensions and other nonsense, 7 months passed by... and my cop doesn't show up. But, there was this one girl there that was SO LUCKY. The bailiff announced that her cop didn't show up, then the phone rings.... it was the cop, telling the bailiff that he was going to be late 5-10 minutes, and to wait for him.. So this girl is all bummed out, and she was stressing out whether or not she should take traffic school. So her cop finally shows up, and walks up to the bailiff and clerks. The cop tells them something, and then goes to sit down. Then this girl goes up to bailiff and asks for traffic school... The clerk overheard the girl requesting traffic school, and basically told her that "It's too late...just sit down..."... so now, this chick is really stressing... she was asking everyone in the court what happens next...

So the bailiff starts reading alphabetically those defendants that were going to get their case dismissed since the officer didn't show. Then they announced the girls name... And the clerk said outloud that "her case is dismissed since the officer has no recollection of it.." I was like WHAT THE FUCK... So the few of us around her were like, holy shit.. you got so lucky.. the cop was right there in the courtroom, and he just told the clerk that he has no recollection of giving her a ticket.

That was the first time I've ever heard of a cop doing that... but, I guess there are some cops that are honest..

Ha, that's my story..
so damn lucky
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #17
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

12 hour doesn't raise your premiums but stays on your record, is what someone else told, me. Someone check that?

Quote:
but, I guess there are some cops that are honest..
Or maybe it was just because she was a chick. We will never know.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info guys. Went to the court today and send in a request for traffic school without asking for a new trial yet. If that is denied I would need to ask for a new trial.
      04-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Probably only worked because the cop didn't respond, otherwise you would be found guilty.

Quote:

Ha, that's my story..
Another possibility is that she has a friend who was a cop who talked to that cop. I saw that happen during my court date.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #20
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
lol, calm down speed racer
      04-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
damn.. that sucks.!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #22
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
It worked for me as well. I got clocked by the Overhead Plane doing 88 in a 70 (I-5) and the ground unit got me... I did trial by mail, and even had to ask for an extension because I forgot to mail it in... basically they said not only the Ground unit has to write a statement, but so did the pilot...

Basically I almost forgot to send it in AGAIN, and didn't write a statement or anything... just put a stamp on it and sent it in, 2 months later, got my check for $300 refunded. What a nice present.... and now I won't be an idiot anymore and forget to send it in... let alone speed.

edit, sorry for the bump... didn't realize it was this old.

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0