BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Hotchkis Sway Endlinks Issue

If you're not careful to ensure the endlinks are VERY close to the OEM length and are both the exact same length, you will experience clunking from your struts and as the sway bar is shifted left and right against its stops by bumps and the car changing its direction of rotation. I had mine in about 1" too long on one side and 1/2" too long on the other side and had persistent clunketyclunketyclunk as I'd go over rough roads and expansion joints and when I'd sashey the car back and for very quickly, you could hear the sway shifting quite hard against its stops.

Just an FYI.

I reinstalled teh OEM ones because I also discovered the bushing on one of the adjustable endlinks was torn.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Oh boy...this does not bode well for my upcoming install(hopeful)....is this a common phenomenon?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Oh boy...this does not bode well for my upcoming install(hopeful)....is this a common phenomenon?
Only if you're an idiot (like me) and don't bother to make sure the Hotchkis adjustables endlinks that come the their sways are the same length as the OEM ones. Remember, you can determine the length of the end link. I'm pretty sure this is so the kit'll fit lowered cars.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I just had the same prescribed problem excpet I adjust it to the exact length as stock and problme still. The ball joint seal broken and it was making noise whenever went over speed bump and un-even surface. Finally, I replaced it with stock end links and the problem went away.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Using the stock end links on a lowered car is not a good idea. The end links should be the right length (i.e. not preloaded). Using stock links (if they are the wrong length) could result in this:

http://blogs.eurotuner.com/6467795/e...nks/index.html

Assuming the links are having nothing wrong with them (like torn bushings), any noise is the result of not tightening the adjustable links tight enough. I chased this problem with my adjustable end links for a while. I would tighten them (pretty tight I thought) and the noise would temporarily go away.

When I had the car in for other service, I told the mechanic about the noise. He tightened up the links and said that was the problem. I asked him how tight to make them and he said "tighten them to the point where you feel like they might break". I obviously did not tighten them that much. I suspect some other people here with the end link noise did not tighten them up enough either. Since he tightened them (a month ago - about 1k miles) the noise has not come back.
Appreciate 0