E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Meet and Canyon Drive, who is up for it?

04-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Meet and Canyon Drive, who is up for it?

Well I organized a meet up and canyon drive several months ago and had a decent turn out, but thought some of you guys might be up for it again.

Another member contacted me to see if some so cal meets took place anymore and since I wasn't sure we talked about doing one again, so here it is.

This may be a bit last minute, but some of the upcoming weekends are busy for me and others (Bimmerfest, Mother's Day, etc.)

So I was thinking next Saturday April 25th.

This may be painful for some, but was thinking a nice morning meet up, have a quick bite to eat and then hit the canyons.

I was thinking of doing the Angeles Crest Highway run starting of the 210 Freeway.
Some of you might never have made the drive, but if you haven't it's a world famous route, and a blast to drive. And since I haven't made that drive in several years, I figured it might be time to again.

Respond if you are up for it.
I will find a meeting place at a restaurant or something off the 210 and then figure out a time (was thinking like 8-9 am but am up for suggestions to meeting times. Don't want it to get too late as it gets busy on the weekends).

** This canyon drive will NOT be a race!! It is imperative we all do this safely but still have fun. It will be a brisk fun run. I want everyone to come home ALIVE and in one piece.
Don't show up and act like this is a race track and push other drivers to drive faster than they might feel comfortable, as if they crash or die because of your idiotic driving, tail gating, crossing the double yellow lines, whatever, you WILL be at fault and held responsible.
Drive like that on your own time when you are at a track (or if you're going to push 9/10ths on a public mountain road, do it when you are alone and no other cars/people around you).
At the same time, if you desire to drive the canyon route like you are driving Miss Daisy, this may not be the drive for you (or bring up the rear of the group).
Slower drivers should respect the road laws and pull to the side and allow others to safely pass.

Let's meet up and have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

It might be good to set a max pace for the group to follow. If all the drivers move aside for one super fast bloke, and then the fast bloke blows on ahead, people feel like playing catch up, domino effect. No matter how much people will say "I'll drive safe" or whatever, they'll still do it. Just my $0.02.

Well, I'm game if I'm free that day, and laziness doesn't get the best of me, hahahaha. It'll be my first time up that road, though I've heard about it a few times.

Last edited by LateBraking; 04-17-2009 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Setting a "max" pace is hard to do really on canyon roads.
Personally, 10 mph over the speed limit is what legally you can get away with and should adhere too.
However, often times on these canyon roads they put speed limits that are like Driving Miss Daisy speeds.

I've been to many of these meets and runs and like you said there is always one or two idiots doing 100 mph on the straights and crossing double yellow lines to pass others, sometimes crossing the double yellow around a BEND.

For me, guys that want to drive like that on a public mountain road can do so on their own time, without me around. They can leave early and go ahead.
I drive MANY canyon roads around so cal and will do so briskly but when other cars are around, I take their safety as well as mine to heart and slow down when other cars are around.

It's impossible to stop people from driving recklessly (and I've admittedly done it myself and probably more often than I should) but won't anymore at these meets as I don't want it on my conscience if someone gets hurt or killed.

The MAIN thing to keep in mind is this is for FUN, not a race.
Keep that in mind and keep the pace reasonable and we will all have fun and come home to our loved ones safe and sound.
Anybody wanting to go balls out fast, can come back on their own time without the rest of us around them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1975 BMW 2002, 2008 335i

Id love to, but there is also the autox that same weekend - maybe another weekend?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Sure we can do it anytime.
It was just a last minute thought to meet up and have a fun drive.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in it that weekend anyway.
No biggie, we can do it another time.
Appreciate 0