E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Things to do in LA & San Diego

04-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Things to do in LA & San Diego

So I'm heading out to SoCal for the weekend to meet up with my parents who will be visiting from Ireland. Could any of you guys recommend any places worth a visit? I've looked into all the popular stuff like movie studio tours, Disneyland, San Diego Zoo etc, but was hoping some locals would know of something else...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

in San Diego...Sea World, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park...Baseball Games at Petco Park...Old Town San Diego for some Mexican Food and drink, Balboa Park Museums..Surfing if you like at local beaches...or the old Favorite..night out at Tijuana, B.C, which is only about 12 miles away for some cheap fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
in San Diego...Sea World, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park...Baseball Games at Petco Park...Old Town San Diego for some Mexican Food and drink, Balboa Park Museums..Surfing if you like at local beaches...or the old Favorite..night out at Tijuana, B.C, which is only about 12 miles away for some cheap fun.
fuck that...you couldnt pay me to go to TJ
      04-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
If you are 18 that is. TJ is the biggest fucking dump I've ever seen. Don't think his parents would want to see that.

For some grown-up PG-13 fun, take them to Coronado. Make dinner reservations at Peohe's, make sure you ask for a table with a bay view. Leave your ride in Downtown by the boat dock, take a ferry across to Coronado. You will end up right in front of Peohe's. Food there is great and the view of downtown San Diego is amazing. If you stay there after the last ferry departs, you can take a cab back over the bridge (probably would cost you about $30 though) but the view is awesome.

There is also Del Coronado hotel. Im pretty sure your folks would love it.
All That Jazz with Marilyn Monroe was filmed there.

Hornblower Harbor cruises are pretty nice. When someone is visiting I always take them on one. Super cheap too.

need to run to work, but ill add more when i get a minute...
      04-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
ramorendez
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subie

Don't go to TJ. Things are pretty fvcked down there right now.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Bilka
Captain
Rep
Drives: M440 GC

If you have the cash, check out a Laker Playoff game.

Serious Cash***
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Santa Barbara - State street i think it's called

I second San Diego zoo and those other museums around it.
      04-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

The Rio Gentlemen's club in LA
2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the ideas guys. My serious partying days are behind me now, so not too bothered about heading south of the border, especially with the parents
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys. My serious partying days are behind me now, so not too bothered about heading south of the border, especially with the parents

Me too...that's not exactly what I meant. There's nothing like fresh lobster at Puerto Nuevo..it's affordable and shopping for goods (cheap)...I guess everybody else misunderstood me when I said "cheap fun". They must be former military like me.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
cgillio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Me too...that's not exactly what I meant. There's nothing like fresh lobster at Puerto Nuevo..it's affordable and shopping for goods (cheap)...I guess everybody else misunderstood me when I said "cheap fun". They must be former military like me.
That lobster is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
So I'm heading out to SoCal for the weekend to meet up with my parents who will be visiting from Ireland. Could any of you guys recommend any places worth a visit? I've looked into all the popular stuff like movie studio tours, Disneyland, San Diego Zoo etc, but was hoping some locals would know of something else...

Thanks!
Wow...I was just in Minny last weekend, actually for 6 days..spent most of my time with the gf in Bloomington, Shekopee, and downtown Minny...and I didn't see alot of you guys, the 3 series that is...you'll see plenty here in SoCal :-)

As for San Diego, well, it all depends on the folks (young, old, likes and dislikes), but if you have the time, hit Point Loma, which is the pointy end of Cali, well actually for the whole US. You get to see the ocean, yay! I saw plenty of lakes in Minny last weekend :-)

Hit downtown SD, Gaslamp Quarter, hit La Jolla beach and other beach cities...I'm sure the guys from LA/OC area can clue you in on their own respective areas...have fun..

cheers!
      04-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgillio View Post
That lobster is amazing.
Good lobster in San Pedro's Port O'Call

http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/portcall.htm
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
yeagleje
Bimmer Lover
Rep
Drives: AW E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
Wow...I was just in Minny last weekend, actually for 6 days..spent most of my time with the gf in Bloomington, Shekopee, and downtown Minny...and I didn't see alot of you guys, the 3 series that is...you'll see plenty here in SoCal :-)
Minneapolis? I was in Minnesota last week too. Down by Mankato and Sleepy Eye area. My parents moved back there. Way too small there though. I got pulled over for passing people on the 2 lane highways. LOL. No Bimmers out there though...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
RipsE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Plus USS Midway & Harbor Tours

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-midway-pckgs.html
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagleje View Post
Minneapolis? I was in Minnesota last week too. Down by Mankato and Sleepy Eye area. My parents moved back there. Way too small there though. I got pulled over for passing people on the 2 lane highways. LOL. No Bimmers out there though...
Yep,, minneapolis...i hear ya..boring little place...nothing but flat lands dead trees this time of year, although they say spring is coming so it should look better. got pulled over? hahaha...not surprised though..people drive sloooowwwww over there...well, i would say people just drive fast here in cali...lol

and yep, not a lot of bimmers, well, not a lot of luxury cars for that matter...hardly saw a benz or bmw but i did see a few audi's, mostly A4. i did see bmw and benz dealerships there in the downtown area...went to Mall of America...was OK
      04-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #17
lipek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Cabrillo Monument, you can see entire san diego from up there

[B]Electric Red/Black leather,aluminum, 6MT, sport package, 19" Beyer Multi Staggered Chrome rims/w BF Goodrich - g-Force T/A KDW (New Tread),debadged, fujita intake,muffler delete,rouge eng ssk,3000w alpine 12" sub/w 1000w alpine digital amp,smoked led tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
Yep,, minneapolis...i hear ya..boring little place...nothing but flat lands dead trees this time of year, although they say spring is coming so it should look better. got pulled over? hahaha...not surprised though..people drive sloooowwwww over there...well, i would say people just drive fast here in cali...lol

and yep, not a lot of bimmers, well, not a lot of luxury cars for that matter...hardly saw a benz or bmw but i did see a few audi's, mostly A4. i did see bmw and benz dealerships there in the downtown area...went to Mall of America...was OK
You're right in that there aren't too many bimmers here, depends on where you are though. Some suburbs have quite a few, some have none. Audis seem to be the most popular premium German brand though, lots to be seen. I am seeing some interesting cars appearing recently though now that spring has arrived. I guess people put them into storage for the winter.

I did get out to SoCal last weekend, and man there are a lot of bimmers there! I dig your climate too My parents flight got delayed by nearly 7 hours so they missed connections in Chicago and ended up losing a day of our weekend in CA, so didn't get to do as much as I'd like to have done. Will have to head out there again sometime soon. I would want to rent something to enjoy the roads with though, the Impala didn't handle the curves well
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

I got the C6 corvette from Hertz - that was a fun ride, too bad for the mileage restriction
      04-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramorendez View Post
Don't go to TJ. Things are pretty fvcked down there right now.
hahha yup. plus its prob hard to get in/out of there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
fuck that...you couldnt pay me to go to TJ
what about some sucky sucky?