E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Get Newly Glossed Tires without the Tire Gloss

07-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Get Newly Glossed Tires without the Tire Gloss

Last night I used some Griot's Rubber Cleaner with a Mr. Clean magic eraser and my tires came out looking nearly as good as they usually do with some tire dressing. They cleaned up incredibly and looked real black. Mr. Clean magic eraser works some magic on tires. Just thought I'd let all of you guys know. And I put some tire dressing on one of the tires and in the morning compared them both and the dressed tire looks just a bit more sparkly. Sparkly--- hah.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

You knew this was coming, so I took care of it for you.
      07-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
sungmin
playing the field
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Lunch is for Wimps

thats nice to know...but don't both those products have silicon in them? Is it true that silicon will make the rubber crack over time due to dryout? I dont know how extreme this is, but I tend to use tire dressing like once a month instead of every time I wash my car lest something bad might happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

does it end up shiny or just a clean black??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
does it end up shiny or just a clean black??
A clean black, but it's super clean!

The tire dressing makes them glossy, but it's pretty close without the tire dressing. Before the Magic Eraser the tire dressing made a huge difference --- now it's just minimal.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

You still up?
      07-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungmin
thats nice to know...but don't both those products have silicon in them? Is it true that silicon will make the rubber crack over time due to dryout? I dont know how extreme this is, but I tend to use tire dressing like once a month instead of every time I wash my car lest something bad might happen.
If I'm not mistaken,... the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges contain formaldehyde and sulfiting agents. Not that every other product on the market is free of chemicals; but formaldehyde!?!?
      07-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo
If I'm not mistaken,... the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges contain formaldehyde and sulfiting agents. Not that every other product on the market is free of chemicals; but formaldehyde!?!?
Formaldehyde is a critical ingredient in the production of hundreds of items that improve everyday life. While little or no formaldehyde is present in the final product, the chemical is an essential building block in the production of some of the most common consumer items, including paper towels, photographic film, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, lipstick and nail polish and acts as an anti-bacterial agent in such consumer products as mascara.

From the front bumper to the rear bumper, formaldehyde-based materials are key to the manufacture of automobiles. They are used to produce components in the transmission, electrical system, engine block, door panels, axles, brake shoes and paint.
      07-26-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
neuronpetkowski
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Formaldehyde is a critical ingredient in the production of hundreds of items that improve everyday life. While little or no formaldehyde is present in the final product, the chemical is an essential building block in the production of some of the most common consumer items, including paper towels, photographic film, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, lipstick and nail polish and acts as an anti-bacterial agent in such consumer products as mascara.

From the front bumper to the rear bumper, formaldehyde-based materials are key to the manufacture of automobiles. They are used to produce components in the transmission, electrical system, engine block, door panels, axles, brake shoes and paint.

I also hear it makes great dessert topping,
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

When using a Magic Eraser one should be less concerned about formaldehyde and more concerned about the fact that it is made from melamine, which is essentially fiber glass. The Magic Eraser doesn't so much clean as it abrades dirt/stains, which is why it says right on it not to use on any glossy surface. So while it's ok on tires; keep it away from your paint, leather, vinyl, rubber, etc... I see a lot of people using it on leather which is a huge mistake.
Appreciate 0