E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > LUX Rings? Should i make a DIY??

View Poll Results: Make a DIY for LUX Rings??
Yes!!! gimme instructions 62 75.61%
NO! its your hard work, keep it 11 13.41%
I'm not handy enough to build these ( or dont have the time) 9 10.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

07-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
LUX Rings? Should i make a DIY??

With all the talk that has been going on with Brex, LUX Rings, PIAA, and maybe eventually the Preditor Ice, i figured that its time we take things into our own hands. My question: Should i make a DIY for LUX Rings??? I put a lof of work into it and want to give back to everyone. Granted its still a Pain in the A$$ to build, dont get me wrong, but i want your opinion. So, Comments, Sugestions??

IF i give out instructions - I will take NO fault if you screw up something if your own car - Thanks KL2DC for the idea. I am just giving instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I don't know Marc...not everyone has your technical/enginnering expertise/know-how. The LUX kit is quite complex. I wouldn't want to see your mailbox full of messages from crying e90 owners with burnt down cars...

I applaud your intention in giving something back...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

i think you should keep it to yourself marc, my roomie is an electrical engineering major and he was amazed by the rings when i showed it to him
but its your product hence your decision too
whatever it is thanks again
      07-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi
i think you should keep it to yourself marc, my roomie is an electrical engineering major and he was amazed by the rings when i showed it to him
but its your product hence your decision too
whatever it is thanks again
I agree. I think its your product and you have worked very hard to make them.
      07-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

yeah, although I'd like to know how, but thinking of all the technical dummies that will come crying to you asking you the why, what, where, how's, you'll be bombarded
      07-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
if you are going to still sell it then dont, but if you stop selling it than do the DIY
      07-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Yeah I highly doubt I would be able to reproduce the LUX Rings with DIY instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusinvestor
Yeah I highly doubt I would be able to reproduce the LUX Rings with DIY instructions.
Same here also.

Then again, just give it out for those car/electric geeks to have fun with it.
It'd be very generous of you if you release the DIY on this forum.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
It's a free country, but I just hope you consider others, especially those who helped you with technical advice. After all, longtran's pioneering with all his hard work, time and effort, compilation of instructions then offering all this for the unselfish price of $30 bucks, oftentimes installing it for buyers for free, should be respected.

IMO, I think it would be very unethical for you or anyone to post DIY instructions that would undermine a fellow E90's business, particular when this guy helped you out. Remember?
      07-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
PLZ DO!

-edit lmao after reading all the other responses i was like damn... hella underdog... hahaha. but honestly yes it might affect the sales of other products such as BREX, PIAA, PMBs, etc but i personally dont think everybody is gonna attempt this if the time & effort exceeds gains

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #11
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
ksfrogman - How would posting a DIY for LUX rings undermine Long and his PMB?? What he invented and what i designed are completely different in this case. By no mean would i want to undermine Long because without him i would have never gotten as far as i did with these, and i still owe him a lot of credit( and an appology).

One of the reasons i mentioned the idea in the first place is because no one personally is selling Brex, PIAA ( only vendors). While PMB's do modify the angel eyes as well, i dont think that it would cause a problem to long, and if he asked me not to post anything, well then i would 100% respect his decision.

I only expect a few people to try this anyways though if i post the instructions. There are a lot of parts involved, a lot of time, a lot of shipping costs for the parts, and a lot of trial and error as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Ksfrogman: I respect el quadfather as much as most of us here...but mds82's LUX kits really are completely different than PMBs, granted some technical consulting was done in its development (to which mds82 has give much credit for). Its really closer to PIAA or Brex if anything. It doesn't even use a lense or lense bracket or stock lighting. Not taking sides here...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
It's a free country, but I just hope you consider others, especially those who helped you with technical advice. After all, longtran's pioneering with all his hard work, time and effort, compilation of instructions then offering all this for the unselfish price of $30 bucks, oftentimes installing it for buyers for free, should be respected.

IMO, I think it would be very unethical for you or anyone to post DIY instructions that would undermine a fellow E90's business, particular when this guy helped you out. Remember?
Cutting a piece of plastic and selling for 30 bucks isnt quite ethical either.

Him posting HIS DIY has no relationship with longtran not even considering the fact that long has already done the bulk of his business.

MDS, I personally believe that this is what the forum are for. Sharing of ideas and letting people know what they could potentially do. Someone will see your kit, give some input, and inprove it.

If you come up with an idea and dont plan to pattent it, it seems somewhat pathetic to charge people for it rather than tell them how its done. Ofcourse in your case you are making a complicated item to the general individual. Sure its the capitalistic principles that run this country, but this is a forum where you've created friends and now you are charging them for your idea.

If I were you, I would have a how-to, but also offer to sell the kit built for whatever you feel is deserving of your time. Charging for your time is one thing

I dont think I would ever be able to make kits for people because I've done it before and I know how much time it takes when you acctually are making something.

I am working on making a 2 watt LED setup for myself. I will make and post a DIY to anyone that wants to try and make it.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
Here comes the flood of responses to the can of worms I opened.

Like I said, it's a free country, but I'm not afraid of asserting my respect for others. We're not talking patent, copyright or trademark infringement here. I just think it would be not cool to see PMB instructions with photos and text being posted in whole or in part verbatim.

30 bucks for intellectual knowledge is pretty darn cheap if you ask me. Put things into perspective. How much do you pay for a pair of shoes, a plastic BMW sunglass tray (with no instructions mind you), etc.

I'm all for helping our fellow man, but not at the expense of stepping on someone else.

07-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
imho i wish you were still making it so i could buy it haha

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

Quote:
that's right, if the plastic worth $30, long won't sell it for $30, he will sell it for $30+. i never see the Lux ring product, so i don't know the cost of good sold, but if you can or we can compare the marginal of profits for these two different products, we will have better idea who is sharing the idea, or both of them are helping out the forum ppl. As mds said, he long's decision, so release the DIY or not, it's those 2 ppl's business. btw, mds, u promised me that you will do the lighting switch and post the pic with stock and lux ring 2 months ago, but i never see that.
      07-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:

Him posting HIS DIY has no relationship with longtran not even considering the fact that long has already done the bulk of his business.

MDS, I personally believe that this is what the forum are for. Sharing of ideas and letting people know what they could potentially do. Someone will see your kit, give some input, and inprove it.

If you come up with an idea and dont plan to pattent it, it seems somewhat pathetic to charge people for it rather than tell them how its done. Ofcourse in your case you are making a complicated item to the general individual. Sure its the capitalistic principles that run this country, but this is a forum where you've created friends and now you are charging them for your idea.

If I were you, I would have a how-to, but also offer to sell the kit built for whatever you feel is deserving of your time. Charging for your time is one thing

I dont think I would ever be able to make kits for people because I've done it before and I know how much time it takes when you acctually are making something.
I completely agree with Poldim.
      07-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
As I said in your PM, I wasn't aware that your/long's instructions came with the LUX kit. If you are concerened about your work being shared, then ask him not to share your work. However, the DIY for making the rings themselves is -- as far as I know -- his work and he should be able to share it at will.

Quote:
Here comes the flood of responses to the can of worms I opened.

Like I said, it's a free country, but I'm not afraid of asserting my respect for others. We're not talking patent, copyright or trademark infringement here. I just think it would be not cool to see PMB instructions with photos and text being posted in whole or in part verbatim.

30 bucks for intellectual knowledge is pretty darn cheap if you ask me. Put things into perspective. How much do you pay for a pair of shoes, a plastic BMW sunglass tray (with no instructions mind you), etc.

I'm all for helping our fellow man, but not at the expense of stepping on someone else.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
As I said in your PM, I wasn't aware that your/long's instructions came with the LUX kit. If you are concerened about your work being shared, then ask him not to share your work. However, the DIY for making the rings themselves is -- as far as I know -- his work and he should be able to share it at will.
First let me say that on a personal level, I really don't mind sharing my time and knowledge, but this is not about me or "my instructions." I never wanted to take public credit for any of this. This is about showing respect for a fellow E90er who has and continues to help multiple people in this forum, both in person and online.

Also, out of respect for mds, I didn't say what you just said publicly. This is why I sent you a PM rather than say it in a public forum.

Chitown, please don't start another war of words.

And mds, thanks for your creativity and your own innovative efforts. I have always been impressed by people like you who are resourceful enough to come up with cool mods like this. I just think that you and long should talk about this privately. This is not about me.
      07-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #20
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
p.s. if you did a poll on how many people would like Microsoft Windows XP for free, most would probably vote in favor of that, but it wouldn't make it right.
      07-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #21
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
First let me say that on a personal level, I really don't mind sharing my time and knowledge, but this is not about me or "my instructions." I never wanted to take public credit for any of this. This is about showing respect for a fellow E90er who has and continues to help multiple people in this forum, both in person and online.

Also, out of respect for mds, I didn't say what you just said publicly. This is why I sent you a PM rather than say it in a public forum.

Chitown, please don't start another war of words.

And mds, thanks for your creativity and your own innovative efforts. I have always been impressed by people like you who are resourceful enough to come up with cool mods like this. I just think that you and long should talk about this privately. This is not about me.
I dont really think the instructions should be a topic for discussion. If long, or you, or anyone else that help write them does not want them publically and freely posted, then tell MDS not to include them in his DIY post.

I know the LED that MDS used in his setup as I talked to him while he was researching what and how to make. From that, I know that this is not a simple piece of plastic to replace, its a new assembly that you have to build, solder, and wire. Given this level of complexity, those that decide to try to create this kit, should not have any problems figuring out how to get to the angel eyes themselves. My Halo Rings / Angel Eyes pictures and info thread has been up for 3 months, which has enough info for anyone tech savy to figure out how to get to the bulb.

Microsoft vs MDS.....your WinXP comment is extremely far fetched.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #22
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
I think long's is the one that should put an end to this thread, if he don't mind post the DIY if he do then don't

I hope he don't mind !!!
Appreciate 0