BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
spfdenhugh
BMWCCA member
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe, Z3 2.8

Clear bra/paint film

Anyone ever done their own hood, etc with 3m kits available? Worth considering, or forget it?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfdenhugh View Post
Anyone ever done their own hood, etc with 3m kits available? Worth considering, or forget it?
You might be able to do the hood yourself. The nose, Forget It!!! Unless you have an endless supply of pre-cut film, save your money and let a professional do the job.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
flyguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, Alpine White

just had mine done yesterday (nose, hood, rocker panels, behind door handles, and behind rear tires), would say let professional do it, can be very tricky to do well
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

You could probably do your headlights. That's it. The hood you could get the film on, but it's a different story keeping the surface clean of dust and dirt while you're installing it, identifying dirt that is in there, and getting it out successfully while not creating wrinkles, more problems, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Round 1: I bought a film kit for the hood, tops of the fenders, and mirrors for wife's 328XI. I read a lot on the procedure, carefully read the instructions that came with the kit, and used the practice piece that came with the kit.

About two minutes into the project I found that the hood piece was not cut correctly. I had to trim the side edges and wrap it around the front edge. Apparently I was one of the first customers for the E91 and they sent the wrong kit.

Round 2: The manufacturer said to leave the car in the sun and just peel the film off. I should have worn gloves because I burned my hands in the process.

I repeated the procedure with the new kit. This one fit a lot better, but I still had to trim the edges. The fender parts were easy. The mirrors were nearly impossible.

If you do this on your own you need to use LOTS of soapy water to float the film. You can't do this in the sun because it will make the water/soap or water/alcohol mix evaporate too fast. Using a garage would be a good idea, but you will need lots of extra lighting so you can see what you are doing. You need to make sure that the paint surface is really spotless or it will make bumps in the film. Next time I will polish the surface first instead of just giving it a good cleaning.