E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Taking your car in for service - cleanliness concerns

07-19-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Taking your car in for service - cleanliness concerns

I've been putting off getting an alignment done for the past couple of weeks as well as I'm not really looking forward to getting the MOST iPod integration kit installed because that means I'll have to turn my car over to the service department. That bothers me because I can't stand anyone else driving my car and I keep my car so incredibly clean that I'll completely notice someone else driving it. I just see it as a pain in the ass and I wonder if anyone else has the same concerns. The problem is other people (such as the service department) might actually care about keeping your car clean but their personal view of clean is going to be entirely different from mine. Monk (the guy from the TV show on USA) reminds me of a lot like myself.

Lets put it this way, when the chance presents itself I always like to wash my hands before getting in my car. I'm anal, I know. I carry a freakin' dash duster in my glovebox. I've got a stack of microfiber cloths in my trunk. What can I say, I'm a clean freak.

Anyone else out there like me that hates turning their car into service to get something done. If I can drive it up to the bay and only exterior work is being performed, it's not a big deal --- like today when I had my wipers replaced. It's the interior stuff that bothers me because it's sort of like invading my personal space.

Guess I'm going to have to eventually suck it up and hand the keys over to the service dept. But I'll put it off as long as I can.

The battle against dirt and dust (dust x5) is a lifelong adventure that will never end. It's a constant war out there. Okay, I'm going back into my bubble now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Suddam Hussein is almost exactly like you. He's a clean FREAK too! But he is afraid of germs.........he washes his hands like 100 times a day.......ahahaha!

btw....don't worry.....your SA should have a plastic seat cover and paper floor mat to keep your car clean. and they do wash the car after it is serviced..............
      07-19-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
Suddam Hussein is almost exactly like you. He's a clean FREAK too! But he is afraid of germs.........he washes his hands like 100 times a day.......ahahaha!

btw....don't worry.....your SA should have a plastic seat cover and paper floor mat to keep your car clean. and they do wash the car after it is serviced..............
They'll wash your car with a RAG and cause swirls marks.
I wouldn't let dealers wash my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
bmwexec, I understand how you feel, but don't you think that it's a bit overboard with the way you treat your car sometimes? You bring up concerns that are sometimes trivial....no offense.

We're not driving 150K supercars here...I love my 330i as much as you, but it's a driver's car, not a collector's.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by HappyG; 05-17-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 04:02 AM   #5
JohanG
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sonora 320i Exclusive Package

I can understand how you feel, bmwexec, but it is only a car after all. Sometimes things will happen to it that you have no control over. I'm glad I'm not the only one who washes their hands before getting into the car, but with beige interior, it's a must!
I agree with luongo, don't let them wash your car.

Ironically, I've found that Ford seems to take the best care of your car when it's in their service department. They even wrap the gearlever and indicator stalks in plastic! I can't say the same for Nissan. I once got one of my pick-ups back and it was covered in oil!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
subframe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i TitSil 6mt ZSP, ZPP,

I just got my car back from having the steering column replaced. This must have required a lot of work in the passenger compartment. Inside was dirty and the new car smell was replaced with tech BO.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
ta
Grumpy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Boy, I have had issues with various Lexus, Acura and BMW dealers getting my cars grunged up after service. I can't believe they leave the cars as dirty as they do when they complete their service.

I'm talking about grease hand prints left on seats, doors and steering wheels. What's up with that?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Dont forget too that cars depreciate, no matter what you do or don't do to them. The minute you drive your car off the lot from purchase it depreciates. Just drive and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

I hate turning over my car to the service department. When I get it back, I can expect the following:
:mad: driver's seat all moved out of whack
:mad: parking brake yanked up through the roof
:mad: grease spots on the interior
:mad: sometimes a scratch or two, inside and out

One time a VW dealer left diagnostic wires hooked up to my engine and I picked it up after hours (key hidden inside). I had to guess how the wires and tubes unhooked and how the original ones hooked back up. I got it right as the car didn't blow up when I drove off.

Another time, with my MINI Cooper S, an interior panel underneath the driver's side was left hanging and made a horrible metallic clunking noise. Easy for me to hook back up — but c'mon! The mechanic also scratched the center logo on my steering wheel as well as a trim piece. :mad:

When an Acura dealer rotated my alloy wheels, they scratched all four of them!

When my BMW comes in (next month) I'll drive the car in and out of the service bay myself when it goes in for service. Hopefully it will go in only for routine maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG
bmwexec, I understand how you feel, but don't you think that it's a bit overboard with the way you treat your car sometimes? You bring up concerns that are sometimes trivial....no offense.

We're not driving 150K supercars here...I love my 330i as much as you, but it's a driver's car, not a collector's.

I'm glad somebody else other than myself notices this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
I'm glad somebody else other than myself notices this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw

When my BMW comes in (next month) I'll drive the car in and out of the service bay myself when it goes in for service. Hopefully it will go in only for routine maintenance.
How do you know the dealership will allow that? Customers usually aren't allowed in the shop at all due to "insurance" reasons.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

I asked and they said yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw
I asked and they said yes.
great :rocks:

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #15
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I'm a perfectionist but what you are describing appears to be Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). How do other people you know feel about your behaviour?
      07-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #16
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
I've been putting off getting an alignment done for the past couple of weeks as well as I'm not really looking forward to getting the MOST iPod integration kit installed because that means I'll have to turn my car over to the service department. That bothers me because I can't stand anyone else driving my car and I keep my car so incredibly clean that I'll completely notice someone else driving it. I just see it as a pain in the ass and I wonder if anyone else has the same concerns. The problem is other people (such as the service department) might actually care about keeping your car clean but their personal view of clean is going to be entirely different from mine. Monk (the guy from the TV show on USA) reminds me of a lot like myself.

Lets put it this way, when the chance presents itself I always like to wash my hands before getting in my car. I'm anal, I know. I carry a freakin' dash duster in my glovebox. I've got a stack of microfiber cloths in my trunk. What can I say, I'm a clean freak.

Anyone else out there like me that hates turning their car into service to get something done. If I can drive it up to the bay and only exterior work is being performed, it's not a big deal --- like today when I had my wipers replaced. It's the interior stuff that bothers me because it's sort of like invading my personal space.

Guess I'm going to have to eventually suck it up and hand the keys over to the service dept. But I'll put it off as long as I can.

The battle against dirt and dust (dust x5) is a lifelong adventure that will never end. It's a constant war out there. Okay, I'm going back into my bubble now.
I'm a lot like you, but I've learned to chill a bit over the years. The fact is, SA and techs don't give a sh*t about your car. To them, it's just a job.

I'm dreading taking my car in around September for service. I just try not to set my expectations too high, otherwise I set myself up for some serious disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #17
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
I feel the same way but on a lesser scale. I'll never be able to enjoy life if I worried that much about things like that. Make sure they do NOT wash the exterior and when you get your car back - just QD the interior thoroughly.
      07-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:

I feel so bad for your kids.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
How do you know the dealership will allow that? Customers usually aren't allowed in the shop at all due to "insurance" reasons.
That's generally correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
I'm a perfectionist but what you are describing appears to be Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). How do other people you know feel about your behaviour?
It's what we've been saying all along. I'm sure he won't be objective with regards to your second question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
I feel so bad for your kids.
+10

God forbid his children place their fingerprints on his car, or gasp!, spit on his rear seats/door handles/etc. as toddlers generally do.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
I've been putting off getting an alignment done for the past couple of weeks as well as I'm not really looking forward to getting the MOST iPod integration kit installed because that means I'll have to turn my car over to the service department...........
I feel your pain.....
Like deserting your baby...
Quote:
....... I'm anal, I know. I carry a freakin' dash duster in my glovebox. I've got a stack of microfiber cloths in my trunk. What can I say, I'm a clean freak.
What no quick detailer?
I always have some to clean up after birds have had their way :mad:
That damn stuff will eat right through the clearcoat in no time!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo
They'll wash your car with a RAG and cause swirls marks.
I wouldn't let dealers wash my car.
I second that!
Last time they washed my car, they did it in the sun and you could see all the water spots because they didn't dry it well. Might as well wash it yourself and save the scratches for someone who doesn't care.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
I second that!
Last time they washed my car, they did it in the sun and you could see all the water spots because they didn't dry it well. Might as well wash it yourself and save the scratches for someone who doesn't care.

They don't have the touchless car wash system at your dealer? In most cases, however, I do not allow the dealer to wash my vehicle.
Appreciate 0