BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

04-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Harness Mounting?

Has anybody mounted a racing harness in their E92 coupe? I am wondering if it's OK to use the hooks for child seats to clip in the shoulder straps. If not, then what are the options, aside from installing a roll bar?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
sgar0777
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW/BLK 6MT

Subscribed...

There are whispers here and there about Harness Bar's, but no one has stepped up with any solid information on availability.

There is one in BMW-M Mexicos RS 46 from RD Sport, see link below, scroll down to find interior pics. I PM'd RDSport last week for info and have so far not received any response.

Vendors?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...169232&page=39
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, but a harness bar is not an option. I need the rear seats, and I don't want to hack the interior. I'd really like to clip the shoulder straps to the lower child seat hooks if it's viable. You'd think if they're designed to save a 100 pound child in a safety seat, that they would be able to support the driver as well, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Thanks, but a harness bar is not an option. I need the rear seats, and I don't want to hack the interior. I'd really like to clip the shoulder straps to the lower child seat hooks if it's viable. You'd think if they're designed to save a 100 pound child in a safety seat, that they would be able to support the driver as well, right?
What 100 lb chid would still be a child seat?I am sure a lot heavier than 100 lbs also
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
What 100 lb chid would still be a child seat?I am sure a lot heavier than 100 lbs also
You are obviously not familiar with child safety laws that consider both age and weight. There,a a reason they make child safety seats rated to 100 pounds. But that is not important for the purpose of this thread. The fact that the hooks shoul be able to support a 100 pound child is.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I don't think that setup would pass a safety inspection at a track. And harnesses need to be mounted a certain way, at certain points and angles, otherwise they will end up being dangerous. Somewhere I saw a photo of where an improperly installed harness ripped a man's nutsack open. I am not joking, the belt tore his scrotum apart and his balls came out. It was a pretty nasty reminder of why safety equipment needs to be done the right way.
      04-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
You are obviously not familiar with child safety laws that consider both age and weight. There,a a reason they make child safety seats rated to 100 pounds. But that is not important for the purpose of this thread. The fact that the hooks shoul be able to support a 100 pound child is.
Here in Ontario the law states that child seats are to be used only to a max of 40 lbs and then they use a booster seat utilizing the factory seatbelt system.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
kieranlavin
Rep
Drives: other

A general rule of thumb is that you want your shoulder belts either at a horizontal to your shoulder or slightly higher.

Here is NASA's rule:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf
(page 57, section 15.5)

I cannot find it with SCCA in their book but I think the above link from NASA is fairly universal.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am familiar with SCCA and NASA rules, but they don't pertain here. SCCA rules require the shoulder straps to be horizontal or up to 20-degrees DOWNWARD (it is illogical that they be allowed to angle upward, becasue that would potentially allow the driver to move up towards the roof, as in the event of a rollover).

I'm talking about installing a five point harness in a car with no roll bar, roll cage, or harness bar. While I am concerned about safety (and my "nutsack"), the main thing I'm after is to be held snug since the leather seats are slippery. A CG-Lock is not an option, as it only keeps the lap belts snug. In my old car, I attached the should belts to the rear shock tower brace, which was at perfect height and distance (it was a 2-seater coupe), and the anti-sub belt came around the front of the seat. That setup worked perfectly for years. All I need to know is if the hooks for the child seat are strong enough to hold a 200-lb person in the event of a crash. I suppose I can try it AND use the OEM seat belt in conjunction.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

The Schroth quick clip harness will work but its only a 4-point
One of the clips will be mounted in stock seat belt position the other two on the bolts holding front and rear seatbelt so it uses stock positions.

A roll bar and or harness bar are out of the question for me
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

I looked at getting the harness that attache to the belts in the back seat but then read a lot og negatives about this on the board. I was going to talk to the BMWCCA guys at our next event. I agree I am not going to add any harness bars yet to the back however would like to have a harness because I am moving around to much around hard cornering.

From what I read is if you don't have a roll bar then don't do harness due to no support if you roll over and you are locked in.
      04-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
From what I read is if you don't have a roll bar then don't do harness due to no support if you roll over and you are locked in.
Different points of view on that. I guess one needs to think about the chances of rolling the car vs plowing into something, and the (negative or positive) effect of having just a harnesss bar in either scenario. I think it is a lot more likely for someone to plow into something than roll the car?