E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Odor from the vents

07-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
drnittany
Rep
Drives: accord

Odor from the vents

So I have had my 325i for about one year. In the first few months, I notice a sulfurous odor coming fromt he vents (only a handful of times). It usually happens when I am driving mid way in my trip. It would only last a few seconds and once I opened the windows, its gone. In my state of denial, I thought maybe it was just a new thing and it might go away. Fortunately in the winter, I didn't notice it. Maybe its a summer thing? Now about a year, the odor is getting more frequent. I have smell this before, but only in my 10 year Buick when I was in high school.

Anyone knows what could that be? I am up for my 1 year oil change so I was going to let the dealership now about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Try drying out the moisture that accumulates in the evaporator prior to turning the car off. Turn the A/C off and let the fan blow 2-3 minutes prior to exiting.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnittany
So I have had my 325i for about one year. In the first few months, I notice a sulfurous odor coming fromt he vents (only a handful of times). It would only last a few seconds and once I opened the windows, its gone. In my state of denial, I thought maybe it was just a new thing and it might go away. Fortunately in the winter, I didn't notice it. Maybe its a summer thing? Now about a year, the odor is getting more frequent. I have smell this before, but only in my 10 year Buick when I was in high school.

Anyone knows what could that be? I am up for my 1 year oil change so I was going to let the dealership now about it.
The only thing I can think of is the battery but it is in the rear. My older Maxima sometimes smell funny with vent air and I just take a can of Lysol and spray it in the cowl with the heater on full blast to suck in the spray and them switch the cir button. It works for me.
      07-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
The only thing I can think of is the battery but it is in the rear. My older Maxima sometimes smell funny with vent air and I just take a can of Lysol and spray it in the cowl with the heater on full blast to suck in the spray and them switch the cir button. It works for me.

Thats an interesting approach... Ill have to try that one...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

turn off the "recirculating" air button a few miles before turning the car off... it will remove the extra moisture from the system... creating the odor.

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
r_liebo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBC320 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
Try drying out the moisture that accumulates in the evaporator prior to turning the car off. Turn the A/C off and let the fan blow 2-3 minutes prior to exiting.
Actaully, the above will fix the moldy/mildew smell from the AC, but not the sulfer one. A mold/mildew smell is caused by a build up of condensate remaining in the AC system. Usually, the condensate accumulates around the part of the system that drains it from the car (a tube I think -- the one that supplies all that water on the ground from underneath your car on hot days).
Some have also tried spraying a Lysol type spray into the vents themselves, but not sure how well that works.
This problem is common no matter what car you drive, Buick or BMW, but seems to be more of a problem with BMWs than American cars.

The problem at issue here, that "rotten egg" smell, I believe is due to the sulfer content in the gas. It may be occuring after you stomp on the gas (see if it gets worse after flooring it). Most likely your car isn't dealing with the sulfer in the gas completely, and you are getting some sulfer smell coming throught the vents as a result. This is a common problem on many Japanese cars, particularly Lexus SUVs for some reason. I don't think it is harmful, but I don't know that there is much you can do. May want to try switching gasoline brands to see if that works. Sulfer content in gas was supposed to be lessened this year by the EPA, but not sure if that has taken place yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
drnittany
Rep

Yes...it occurs when I accelerate. Could it by the catalytic converter? Someone on bimmerfest mention this.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #8
r_liebo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBC320 Sport

Quote:
Yes...it occurs when I accelerate. Could it by the catalytic converter? Someone on bimmerfest mention this.
Certainly sounds like the catalytic converter. That would be the first place I'd look for the specific culprit in failing to fully address the sulfer in the gas.
IT is worth checking out to see if it is functioning properly, but it isn't necessarily malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I'm no mechanic but I have always heard that the rotten egg smell results from an overly rich air-fuel mixture, usually a plugged catalytic converter. This should also cause poor gas mileage, if you happen to be noticing that, too.

Note, however, that sometimes you can be behind or near another car that is leaking this smell, and think it's from your car. Make sure it's actually from your car, and not just that you happen to notice this on other cars on the road from time to time!
      07-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Thats an interesting approach... Ill have to try that one...
I used the entire can. Just make sure you can live with the smell you inject.
      07-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
So I have had my 325i for about one year. In the first few months, I notice a sulfurous odor coming fromt he vents (only a handful of times). It usually happens when I am driving mid way in my trip. It would only last a few seconds and once I opened the windows, its gone. In my state of denial, I thought maybe it was just a new thing and it might go away. Fortunately in the winter, I didn't notice it. Maybe its a summer thing? Now about a year, the odor is getting more frequent. I have smell this before, but only in my 10 year Buick when I was in high school.

Got it figured out.

What's happening is you are actually slipping one out every now and then, you're just enjoying the bmw drive so much you don't realize you are. Silent but deadly's probably. The enjoyment factor and fun factor of driving the e90 are increasing exponentially with the amount of traction and insolation you now have in the summer. Since you are enjoying the summer drive much more, this increase is also proportional to the number you let out that you're not aware of... But of course, the smell always hits your nose hard... But now it's more often than in the winter months..

Hope this helps, nothing wrong with the car, in fact everything is working perfectly...

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_liebo
Certainly sounds like the catalytic converter. That would be the first place I'd look for the specific culprit in failing to fully address the sulfer in the gas.
IT is worth checking out to see if it is functioning properly, but it isn't necessarily malfunctioning.
This issue can vary considerably from one location to another,
based on the available fuel in the area.
(sulpher content)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I noticed you live in MD, Do you drive near salt marshes? Sometimes you'll get a sulphur smell while driving through those areas.

Note on musty smell: Keep your AC between 72-74 degrees, on Auto, outside air only, and you'll get no smell.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
drnittany
Rep

Thanks for all the help and the funny comments. I call my dealership and they said that the smell is a common thing. Along with all the software updates, they will clean something (I will find more once I talk to the SA day off). I offered the possibility of a the catalytic converter, but she said they start with the cleaning and go from there. I guess we will see after aug. 1.
Appreciate 0