BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Got 1200 mile service done today

Well I wasn't quite at 1200, more like 1050, but the dealer did the service anyways, they said it was close enough.

Some thoughts.....

After just getting back from a "spirted" drive to see what 6,000 to 8,400 was all about, I have a few opinions and comments.

1st: I don't know if the car has any additional power or not, but I would imagine you gain a little from having fresh oil with full lubing properties.

2nd: this car shines from 6,000 to 8,400. Now I feel I got what I paid for power wise. In full sport+ mode on the throttle mapping and in the 6 to 8.4 range this car is an animal.

3rd: I was thinking I wanted an exhaust system on this car, but after driving this car now, I think unless this car lives on a race track, it is a bad idea. Here is my reasoning: This car lives in the 6 to 8.4 range and if you want to take advantage of this cars power you have to be willing to drive in that range on the streets.

With an aftermarket exhaust or race exhaust, and if you wanted to do some spirted driving, you are going to look like a total ass and draw too much attention to yourself while in that range. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have that, but to the rest of the world in every day driving I think you are asking for issues.

I do think the stock exhaust is too quiet while cruising around, but when you are on it and you are in its sweet spot it really does sound amazing.

4th, Along the lines of having to drive this car in the upper range to reach its full potential, that is going to be a work in process. It is so hard for me to drive like that for any length of time because I start feeling guilty and think I am abusing the car. The only way I feel ok driving in the upper range for any length of time is if I have the stereo on loud so I can't hear how high the engine is working, and then I don't feel as guilty. I know that probably sounds lame, but I guess it's a hearing and emotional response.

5th, Again, along the lines of what I said above, I kinda of wish I got the DCT tranny now, because unless you drive around in town at 6K+ you need to be good at bliping the throttle and downshifting 2 or 3 gears at a time to accelerate quickly if you want it to happen NOW, as to where if you had the DCT, it's just a matter of pedal to the floor and letting the tranny figure it out.

Lastly, the M is a car you drive aggressively purposely unlike the 335I I had which was very easy to drive fast and aggressively due to the turbos spooling at low RPM, it was more of all or nothing and dyed out at around 6K. The M is actually a more civil/tame daily driver than the 335I because when you want to go fast in the M, you have to be forceful with it and make it drive like that, it doesn't just happen.

That is it for now, next test will be when it is time to fill up again, I am going to go 50/50 91 and 100 octane and see if I feel a difference.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.

Last edited by TRZ06; 04-02-2009 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I feel you on that high rpm "feel like abusing" thing
I'm like that with every car I drive
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Well I wasn't quite at 1200, more like 1050, but the dealer did the service anyways, they said it was close enough.

Some thoughts.....

After just getting back from a "spirted" drive to see what 6,000 to 8,400 was all about, I have a few opinions and comments.

1st: I don't know if the car has any additional power or not, but I would imagine you gain a little from having fresh oil with full lubing properties.

2nd: this car shines from 6,000 to 8,400. Now I feel I got what I paid for power wise. In full sport+ mode on the throttle mapping and in the 6 to 8.4 range this car is an animal.

3rd: I was thinking I wanted an exhaust system on this car, but after driving this car now, I think unless this car lives on a race track, it is a bad idea. Here is my reasoning: This car lives in the 6 to 8.4 range and if you want to take advantage of this cars power you have to be willing to drive in that range on the streets.

With an aftermarket exhaust or race exhaust, and if you wanted to do some spirted driving, you are going to look like a total ass and draw too much attention to yourself while in that range. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have that, but to the rest of the world in every day driving I think you are asking for issues.

I do think the stock exhaust is too quiet while cruising around, but when you are on it and you are in its sweet spot it really does sound amazing.

4th, Along the lines of having to drive this car in the upper range to reach its full potential, that is going to be a work in process. It is so hard for me to drive like that for any length of time because I start feeling guilty and think I am abusing the car. The only way I feel ok driving in the upper range for any length of time is if I have the stereo on loud so I can't hear how high the engine is working, and then I don't feel as guilty. I know that probably sounds lame, but I guess it's a hearing and emotional response.

5th, Again, along the lines of what I said above, I kinda of wish I got the DCT tranny now, because unless you drive around in town at 6K+ you need to be good at bliping the throttle and downshifting 2 or 3 gears at a time to accelerate quickly if you want it to happen NOW, as to where if you had the DCT, it's just a matter of pedal to the floor and letting the tranny figure it out.

That is it for now, next test will be when it is time to fill up again, I am going to go 50/50 91 and 100 octane and see if I feel a difference.
1. Your car won't have any more power--it just safe now to 'try it out'

2. You couldn't be more right-on; first time i got it up in this range...wow.

3. I too am struggling with whether or not to upgrade the exhaust--take a look at the pic/video forum and see the post 'Why spend the money on an after market exhaust when stock sounds so good???' You will see a lot of different opinions.

4. This car was 'engineered' for this type of driving; I don't think you could abuse it by just exploring the range of the engine. It has limiters to make sure you keep from damaging it.

5. My opionion, after owning the 135i with automatic, paddle shifters...I am very happy to have a manual again. You are in complete control of the engine--it becomes one with you as you shift through the gears...I don't know....it's hard to explain....it's just 'better' that way.

Enjoy your M car--i know i am!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

So once you get the 1200 mile service done, you can start redlining?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

you shouldn't really open it up until you've hit 3,000 mi, per the owner's manual
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

LoL I feel you on the high rpms and turning the stereo up. My car is in for the 1200 right now but even holding rpms at 4.5 in 3rd and 4th I feel like I'm riding the gear too hard. But sometimes I keep it in those gears because downshifting back and forth from 5th & 6th is a pain depending upon the traffic flow.

The only problem is as soon as I turn up the stereo..i turn it back down to listen to the motor to make sure everything sounds normal. Definitely an ocd.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
jasebud
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

To me, the car really shines in 3rd gear. Amazing how much pull in 3rd all the way to redline, seems like it won't stop. But the problem is that getting to 6-8K rpms in 3rd means pretty high speeds so tough to enjoy it without risking a big ticket.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
335 S
Vile and Depraved
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Look into the Remus Street exhaust. 1,500 clams and it has a slightly throatier sound in the mids and upper revs. And it vastly improves what is arguably the ugliest muffler setup.

As for the guilt when running high revs, this motor is designed and happiest at high rpms. BMW wouldn't warrant it for 50,000 miles if they thought we could blow them up.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
jump23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycg View Post
LoL I feel you on the high rpms and turning the stereo up.

The only problem is as soon as I turn up the stereo..i turn it back down to listen to the motor to make sure everything sounds normal. Definitely an ocd.

-Vin
I got the premium sound and.... what a waste of money. No, not because the stereo sucks. It's actually pretty amazing, IMHO!

But every time I turn it up, I don't like that it drowns out the sweet sound of the M so I turn it all the way down. And I only have 300 miles on the car so I can only imagine/dream what 8400 RPMs sound like.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
wow! a bunch of words and I dont feel like reading... Congrats anyways...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I agree about upgrading the exhaust. I enjoy the OEM sound. Enjoy your ///M.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
LoL I feel you on the high rpms and turning the stereo up. My car is in for the 1200 right now but even holding rpms at 4.5 in 3rd and 4th I feel like I'm riding the gear too hard. But sometimes I keep it in those gears because downshifting back and forth from 5th & 6th is a pain depending upon the traffic flow.

-Vin
+1 on the radio thing, a lot of the time my radio is off, I listen to the engine to make sure the car is running good.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:

-Vin
I have nevered redlined in 3rd gear. I have only redlined in 2nd and shift to 3rd and slow to traffic speed.

How would you compare redline in 3rd with redline in 2nd?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Take off the DSC! LOL

Changes the character dramatically.....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Take off the DSC! LOL

Changes the character dramatically.....
This I have yet to try, but as soon as the weather gets warmer I'm gonna hit this suggestion with enthusiasm!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
lazy ass!
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
Almost as long as your sig.