ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - FIN

After 32 days of manufacturing delays, backorders, and numerous calls to Dinan Engineering, my Stage 3 Suspension Kit finally arrived.

Overall, every piece of suspension part, both Dinan & Koni, are of excellent build quality, and personally I like the way that Dinan has setup the entire suspension...

As of now I am scheduled with my Authorized Service Center, Dose BMW in El Cajon, California for the complete installation next Wednesday & Thursday.

Here are some pictures of my goodies, in one of the last pictures there is obviously a non-Dinan part. Since Dinan did not manufacture Rear Control Arms for our Z’s, I decided to go with the Turner Motorsport Rear Control Arms. These are also excellent suspension parts, and the color also matches my Dinan springs and sway bars.

Once everything is installed I am going take my Z for a nice spirited drive…

The S2K belongs to my son, whom is currently at the ACE in Ft. Leonardwood, Missouri...

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 04-08-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

, congrats on finally getting the parts!!! DINAN

Let me know once you get it all installed. Count me in for a drive!

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...

Last edited by misterawa; 04-09-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterawa View Post
, congrats on finally getting the parts!!! DINAN

Let me know once you get it all installed. Count me in for drive!
Thanks...I will let you know when all is done....BTW, I'm still trying to negotiate or locate a real good deal for a set of Dinan LTW & BBK...
I have not given up yet...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - FIN

OK, Here it is …

I picked up my car last Thursday afternoon, and Dose BMW in El Cajon, California did an excellent job with the entire installation.

So here’s my first impression. Immediately at a glance I noticed that the car appeared to sit higher than before. I expected this since I was somewhat lowered with the OEM M-Tuned Suspension. :?

For my own conscience, before taking the car to the shop I measured the height from the ground perpendicular up to the top of the wheel arch. I did this exercise to both the front & rear, and the measured dimension was at 25.5 inches for both.

Rear Ride Height - Before

Front Ride Height - Before

When I had arrived at home, with the car in the garage & on a level plane, I took the same measurements again. My initial observations were correct; the front ride height was now at about 26.25 inches, and the rear ride height at 26.5 inches. Basically, the front is now higher by 3/4 inch & the rear is higher almost by one inch. In all honestly, I was somewhat perplexed with this increase in ride height, but after speaking to my son, he had indicated to me to not panic or worry, in due time there would be some settlement.

If I am not mistaken, the stock ride height for the Z4 without the OEM M-Tuned Sport Suspension should be just a little over 26 inches for the front & back. Also, the Dinan Suspension Specifications indicated that ride height would eventually be a half an inch below stock (non-sport) height.

I am hoping that after the settlement period is over, I should be back to the original ride height as to the OEM M-Tuned Suspension.

Well, here’s the fun part, while driving home I managed to take a few turns much faster than normal. I also did not feel much body roll anymore. In addition, the steering was much more precise and accurate. The car felt more solid and controllable. As stiff as the suspension feels now, the overall ride was still very comfortable.

As for now, I will continue to drive, drive and drive, :driving: when the springs eventually would settle, in about 1-2 weeks or so, I will measure the ride height again.

Anyways, here are pics of the install....

The pics below are of the only non-Dinan part of the entire suspension kit. The Turner Motorsport Rear Control Arms. As I mentioned earlier, these are also excellent suspension parts, and the color matches my Dinan springs and sway bars.

....A BBK Kit is next on the list of upgrades..

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 04-25-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

So you're doing the Breakfast @ Balboa this month?
      04-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

I had the same problem...

1st_Knight... I installed the S2 package on my Z4 and had the same problem with the rear. That being it sat about an inch higher. Dinan replaced the springs two times but the height was the same. They ended up making special springs for the rear of my car. The new custom springs bring the car down to the correct height. Call Luie, in Tech Support at Dinan, because he worked with me on the problem. Reference him to my problem (Chuck Insley). They said I was the only one to ever bring this issue up, but it may be that not everyone notices. Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
swedish_z4
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4 3,0Si -07 & 328Ci -00

Did you have to remove the engine to install the strut bar?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish_z4 View Post
Did you have to remove the engine to install the strut bar?
No sir, the engine does not have to be removed...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
1st_Knight... I installed the S2 package on my Z4 and had the same problem with the rear. That being it sat about an inch higher. Dinan replaced the springs two times but the height was the same. They ended up making special springs for the rear of my car. The new custom springs bring the car down to the correct height. Call Luie, in Tech Support at Dinan, because he worked with me on the problem. Reference him to my problem (Chuck Insley). They said I was the only one to ever bring this issue up, but it may be that not everyone notices. Chuck I
About 1-1/2 week ago I had spoke to Dinan about my observations, and I also mentioned your situation, the conversation overall went very well Brian, at tech support had indicated to me that in the end, if I am not satisfied with the final ride height they will take care of it for me.

Anyways, and after taking the car out for a few short drives, the front had settled about 3/8", and the rear had settled a 1/2". All in all, and for the next few weeks I will take additional ride measurements. I somewhat believe that there will me some additional settling as time progresses...As of now, I am a happy camper...

Also, thanks for sharing your input Chuck...

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 04-25-2009 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
No sir, the engine does not have to be removed...

Doesn´t it? Seriously?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Z4 Steve
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i Roadster

Please take pictures of ride height after springs settle.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Steve View Post
Please take pictures of ride height after springs settle.
Will Do!
Appreciate 0