E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Exhaust cloud on start up - answer

07-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

Exhaust cloud on start up - answer

I posted a topic recently which posed the question, does anyone else get the occasional cloud of smoke from the exhaust on start-up regardless of conditions or how the car was treated during its last operation.

It did not get much interest, and I did not get an answer but I have now found out for myself what is going on and it is interesting so I thought I would share it again.

A BMW ES engineer told me that the car will occasionally dump an amount of fuel down the system on start-up to purge and clean the system as a self maintenance exercise determined by the ECU.

Its was a little disconcerting but now I know its normal and nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

On cold/cool days its also commin on 3 Series ( E90 and before) to see what some people think is white smoke, but is actually steam for a couple minutes after the car is started
      07-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

Indeed.. I have seen the steam and asked this in a topic a long time ago to which you replied fleet. If sat in a jam for example on a cold day you can see other BMWs blowing this steam where most other engines do not.

It must be something in their architecture that causes this, however once again nothing to worry about.

Still havent got my 3100 hesitation sorted by the way.
BMW say there is nothing wrong, buggers.
Appreciate 0