E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > help with: 335d drive-train transplanted into concept car

03-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
jamisonbruch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

help with: 335d drive-train transplanted into concept car

Hello all, my first post... hopefully one that will stimulate the synapses, cuz I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I need to remove the power train of a beautiful, zero-mile, '09 335d, and install it into a concept car. Certifications/regulations require the power train to be complete with all emissions etc. BUT, nothing else (abs, stability, stereo, theft, cheek warmers, etc etc etc) is needed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of hardware/software/someone who might know the E90 bus system/network inside and out? How to prune things off and not trigger "limp mode" or accidentally kill it outright.

Jamison
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

I'm thinking the Bavarian Technic guys might be your best bet....sounds very interesting, best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
jamisonbruch
Registered
Rep

good call

I spoke with a software guy there, he recommended I call back next week when the automotive network guy returns.

Their tool is for diagnostics... from what I can tell it would be a really great tool (wow, and reasonably priced) for telling me why the motor/trans ECU is unhappy, not as useful for keeping it happy, or forcing it to shut-up and drive.

Maybe there's a hardcore tuner somewhere who does this for clients who want everything stripped out, except for the powertrain?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonbruch View Post
I spoke with a software guy there, he recommended I call back next week when the automotive network guy returns.

Their tool is for diagnostics... from what I can tell it would be a really great tool (wow, and reasonably priced) for telling me why the motor/trans ECU is unhappy, not as useful for keeping it happy, or forcing it to shut-up and drive.

Maybe there's a hardcore tuner somewhere who does this for clients who want everything stripped out, except for the powertrain?
I'm curious. I would think someone with the resources to start a gig like this wouldn't be on an internet forum asking for help.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
335iPaul
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i SG

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
I'm curious. I would think someone with the resources to start a gig like this wouldn't be on an internet forum asking for help.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
jamisonbruch
Registered
Rep

research

Maybe someone has sniffed enough of the can/lin network to be valuable. Vector, Ittax and Intrepid have the tools to reverse engineer the network, but do I really have to redo something that someone might have already done? At least flexray hasn't been integrated into this model yet... now that would be painful.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
jamisonbruch
Registered
Rep

Update... There is no way in hell.
Forum guys (many of them BMW techs) have helped me steer clear of this gig without BMW Corp help. SCCA racers, tuners, reverse engineering firms and other concept car guys all confirm.
Thanks for the input guys.

Jamison
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
collin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sport+Premium Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonbruch View Post
Update... There is no way in hell.
Forum guys (many of them BMW techs) have helped me steer clear of this gig without BMW Corp help. SCCA racers, tuners, reverse engineering firms and other concept car guys all confirm.
so out of curiosity, what's gonna happen? are you just dropping the gig, or looking for another powertrain to use?
Appreciate 0