ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Headrest Roll Bar modification for fabric wear - maybe check your car?

Update May 2009: Had a proper leather back made for the seatbacks. "Chatsworth Upholstery X" was highly recommend to me and I second that reccomendation now. The shop was able to match the color and texture of the OEM leather very well. I'm kind of surprised BMW did not cover the rear of the headrests in leather like this from the factory. Cost was $100 for 90 minutes labor and materials. Well worth it I think.
Attachment 326947

====Original Post ==============================

Today I noticed that my passenger-side headrest had an ugly friction scar on it from rubbing against the Roll Bar. I had a tall passenger with me recently who reclined the seat fully and this happened in one day. Perhaps you should check your cars at your convenience and see if you might prevent it.
Attachment 326945

I’m surprised that BMW did not address this issue themselves.

Two goals here: one, prevent the problem from getting worse. I decided I need a sturdy, small spacer or pad between the seat and rear wall that enforced a gap between the HR and the RB so random passengers playing with the seat wouldn't make the problem worse.

I looked around a bit and found what I needed at Fry's. I amputated two black gel wrist pads from their neoprene mouse pads and mounted them with 3M auto-grade adhesive tape, centered below the RB.

In use:
Attachment 326944
The speakers are partially obscured, perhaps 20%, but the sound is undiminished and perhaps even louder as they now have an air gap to vibrate into rather than being pressed into the seat back.

Part two, patch/fix the HR temporarily while I I look into getting some upholstery repair and/or some leather coverings made for the seat backs. I used some dark grey fabric tape that camouflaged that ugly scar for a few weeks until I got the leather replaced, see top of post.

Attachment 326943

This post is reiterated on Z-forum.

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
nvs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Surprised no one has commented, I for one like the leather over the roll bars. Even though I probably wouldn't use the wrist pad idea, it's +1 for creativity!

I've already been thinking about removing the plastic covers because I cannot stand the squeaking sound! I was just going to get the roll bars themselves wrapped in matching leather, but wrapping the existing components look good too.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

do you know if they will wrap the roll bar covers by chance? The silly dealership scratched mines up and I figured it'd be a good time to wrap it in leather. If not..i might use some of my carbon fiber wrap.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

Why do you put your car in 5th gear? lol
      07-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
Why do you put your car in 5th gear? lol
lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

Thats a great idea, never thought of that and yeah I got those ugly scars too.

ZHP knob/Zeckhausen CDV/ESS Tune/More to come
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

rcleme05,
I take it your car has extended leather package? Or did you have the shop cover your roll bar with leather? Also...were you present when they took the seat apart? I'm curious to know how easy it is to cover the whole back seat or at least half the seat? I imagine the leather that small doesn't cost as much as just doing the work...so wrapping the seat shouldn't take that much more labor. I may have to call them... my last car didn't have this...my M now that I just got...has it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Wrap headrests...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
do you know if they will wrap the roll bar covers by chance? The silly dealership scratched mines up and I figured it'd be a good time to wrap it in leather. If not..i might use some of my carbon fiber wrap.
probably, they do complete custom leather interior work as well as tops. It can't hurt to call them and see.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
rcleme05,
I take it your car has extended leather package? Or did you have the shop cover your roll bar with leather? Also...were you present when they took the seat apart? I'm curious to know how easy it is to cover the whole back seat or at least half the seat? I imagine the leather that small doesn't cost as much as just doing the work...so wrapping the seat shouldn't take that much more labor. I may have to call them... my last car didn't have this...my M now that I just got...has it.

Yes on the extended leather. Yes, I watched them take the seat apart, they only needed to separate the top at the plastic edge very slightly with a wedge to get the leather seated. It looked pretty simple actually.
Appreciate 0