E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino after recent synthetic wax

06-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
blox
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Zaino after recent synthetic wax

I just waxed with Maguires NTX synthetic wax last week. I have visible swirls and scratches, so now I am going to do a full Zaino treatment starting with clay and a Porter Cable polisher with Z-PC.

Does anyone have experience using Z-PC with a Power Polisher right after a wax job? Would the pad get 'gummed up' or will the clay take off all the wax anyway?

I'm considering a two pass approach to clean the wax off first, and then do the clay and polishing.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

The claybar should take off some of the wax, but you should do an diluted alcohol treatment to strip it down to the clearcoat, if you're planning to use an abrasive.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
forcephotography
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330XI - SG - PP - SP - NAV

Liquid Dawn and warm water will remove any wax as well.

Ben
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
blox
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Thanks. I used an organic anti-grease soap with water and the car "squeaks" now.

What's interesting is that the car looks better now with no wax -- the shine is so much more clear. And some of the swirls are gone.

I suppose that makes sense? The car's base paint and finish should look good or we would have no place to go with further polishing and waxing?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

No. Its looks good now, but the purpose of a wax/sealant is to protect the paint. Sure now its good, but you will notice shine and reflections dimish as the air, water, enviroment attack the paint. Washing frequently will also prove diminishing results.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
forcephotography
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330XI - SG - PP - SP - NAV

I usually do not like the look of the car after washing the wax off (you sure you got it all off?). The paint usually looks relatively dull compared to when it is waxed and shines / looks wet.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Zaino ZPC will remove any previous wax. No need to worry about the pad gumming up from a fresh wax job.

I'm not surprised the car looked better after you stripped the NXT. NXT has a darkening effect on paint so that it gives the illusion of more depth.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcephotography
I usually do not like the look of the car after washing the wax off (you sure you got it all off?). The paint usually looks relatively dull compared to when it is waxed and shines / looks wet.
If your car looks worse with the wax off, then consider giving it a good claying and polishing. Good paint prep gives 99% of the shine in your paint. A wax adds the last 1%.
Appreciate 0