Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Most ideal tire/wheel setup for the occasional dragster or track

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Most ideal tire/wheel setup for the occasional dragster or track

With the significant increase in the amount of torque provided by a tune on my E90 335i, there is a greater need for traction to be achieved with various tires. I would like a set of tires that I could use on the drag strip (preferably) and track.

I see that 17s are the most ideal rim diameter and some have even suggested street DRs, such as the Nitto NT555Rs or BFGoodrich T/A Drags as ideal tires for optimal rear wheel traction. I even want to consider not compromising handling such as should I be using the same tire width (225s on a 8 rim or 245s on a 8.5 rim) on the front and rear or still use a similar setup to stock (asymmetrical)? Or should I just be going wider all around (245s in front and 275s in rear)?

Also any recommendations on very light wheels?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Good luck getting info. I've been trying to. Nitto NT555Rs will not fit on the stock rims, check the website for sizing, I believe you need at least a 9 or 9.5" rim. I heard the BFG arent great for daily driving in rain. Im trying to find DRs to fit stock rims and use for daily driving (I live in FL too). Im thinking about getting Toyo Proxes R888. They make sizes for pretty much any size rim. My friend has them on his tuned e55 (500 whp, 11.3 in the 1/4) and he says they seem to be fine in the rain, granted he hasnt had them during the rainy season yet. My biggest concern is wear. DRs usually only have 5-6/32ths tread (the Proxes have 6). For comparison the stock RFTs have 11/32" tread, but only a slightly better treadwear rating (140 to 100 for the Proxes).
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

GT graduate I assume? I'm BS in BME just graduated last year ('08).

I know that the Nitto NT555Rs do not have a size for our stock wheels (18") but I would consider buying a new set of 17" wheels, mainly because they might be cheaper in the long run. I am just not sure whether in 245s, which a quite few 135 dragsters use because that's the same size as their stock wheels, or 275s. Plus I've heard the NT555Rs have been a really good street tire that last about 10-12k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Just found some Toyo Proxies R888s for 260 a tire or 1k+ for a set of 4. Not sure if they are worth that price as by then I would probably look into Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

I'm going to contact my local tire distribution buddy to see if he stocks any of these R compound tires. Would love to be paying wholesale for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just make sure to compare the treadwear rating and tread depth of the tires you are considering. The proxes have a decent treadwear rating 100, but only 6/32" tread. That sums up to about ~40% of the life of the stock RFTs (140 tread rating, 11/32" tread). Im not sure what the Nittos are. I have the Proxes in, but waiting to put them on my car as I need a new clutch and I don't think its a great idea to ride into the dealership with DRs on my car. I'll let you know what I think of them when they are on.

And yes I am a GT grad. ME 06. I also live in FL too and I race a lot at the dragstrip.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Did you guys check out the Falken Azenis???? I have them in stock, let me know if you need some help.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
Just found some Toyo Proxies R888s for 260 a tire or 1k+ for a set of 4. Not sure if they are worth that price as by then I would probably look into Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

I'm going to contact my local tire distribution buddy to see if he stocks any of these R compound tires. Would love to be paying wholesale for them.
Try a Nitto R compound for drag racing, maybe the 555R? I dont think the R888's would be as good for straight line traction since they are a circuit type designed tire.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com
      02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Just make sure to compare the treadwear rating and tread depth of the tires you are considering. The proxes have a decent treadwear rating 100, but only 6/32" tread. That sums up to about ~40% of the life of the stock RFTs (140 tread rating, 11/32" tread). Im not sure what the Nittos are. I have the Proxes in, but waiting to put them on my car as I need a new clutch and I don't think its a great idea to ride into the dealership with DRs on my car. I'll let you know what I think of them when they are on.

And yes I am a GT grad. ME 06. I also live in FL too and I race a lot at the dragstrip.
Treadwear ratings are typically not very reliable indicators of tire wear since they are not officially tested by DOT. I've heard that the Nittos 555Rs last about 11-12k miles so I'd expect the Proxes to last about the same. Really depends on how you drive anyways. I had a guy offer me a pair of BF Goodrich Drags on BBS wheels, so I'll see if we can work something out.

PM your location. I'm up in Jax right now but I'm up to some drag days, just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
Treadwear ratings are typically not very reliable indicators of tire wear since they are not officially tested by DOT. I've heard that the Nittos 555Rs last about 11-12k miles so I'd expect the Proxes to last about the same. Really depends on how you drive anyways. I had a guy offer me a pair of BF Goodrich Drags on BBS wheels, so I'll see if we can work something out.

PM your location. I'm up in Jax right now but I'm up to some drag days, just let me know.
I looked at the BFGs, but I quickly ruled them out due to the temperature/speed rating since I was going to daily drive them (could change my mind on that though). The have the lowest temperature rating, so not recommended above 80 mph for extended period of time.
Appreciate 0