E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirl marks on clear car bra...

06-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Keith
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (E90)

Swirl marks on clear car bra...

I've got a 3M clear car bra on the front bumper, headlights, quarter of the bonnet (hood) and small stiking areas on the fenders of my E90.

I've noticed in direct sunlight or high intensity lighting quite a lot of swirl marks and the odd scratch on the film.

Is there a way of removing these swirl marks?
Can it be buffed out (or to a much lesser extent) using a PC?
I've read on the 3M website that no abrasives should be used on the film. Does this mean that no polish can be used, but waxes are ok?

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

I don't have a clear bra yet (getting one this Saturday) but are you sure the swirl marks are on the clear bra or underneath it? I think my primary concern is if they use a dirty towell to clean the area before applying the clear bra, it could leave swirl marks in the paint that will just get trapped under the clear bra. I've seen this on some cars with the clear bra already....

As for the rest of your questions, I would probably go back to the shop you got the clear bra at and ask them. They should offer a lifetime warrantee on that stuff, and if the film was scratched, it should be replaced. The clear bra is meant to prevent rock chips... so I doubt they would develop swirl marks so easily.
      06-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Waxing the clear bra is ok (and suggested), but do not polish it with a machine. The heat from the machine (even a PC) will bubble the clear bra almost every time. Try hiding them with a filler wax like Megs NXT or a good glaze (megs #7, one grand omega, clearkote rmg, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
Keith
Private
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o
are you sure the swirl marks are on the clear bra or underneath it? I think my primary concern is if they use a dirty towell to clean the area before applying the clear bra
I'm pretty sure that the marks are above the film because they're so fine they would be difficult to spot through the thick 3M film.

They might have used a slightly dirty towel to rub out the water from beneath the film or when they cleaned up after installing the film.

The strange thing is that the bonnet clear bra has marks that are only on the bra and you'd expect the swirls to continue onto the clearcoat of the car, but it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
Keith
Private
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Try hiding them with a filler wax like Megs NXT
Are you referring to Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Treat it like the paint on the car, no buffer machine though.
      06-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Are you referring to Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax?
Yes. Since you can't polish them the best route to go is to hide them. NXT had a pretty significant amount of fillers, so it should do at least a half-decent job of hiding them. If you want more fillers try finding some Meguairs #7 to go under the NXT (#7 is called "Show time glaze").
Appreciate 0