New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Modding the Z4 SDrive 35i

I know it's not even released yet but I was wondering, what's BMW's policy on modding cars that are under warranty (I'm specifically thinking SW). I'm sure the Sdrive35i will be pretty quick but, knowing how easy it is to tweak that engine, there's going to be a load of after sales mods available and that got me thinking.

I'm sure I read somewhere that BMW are OK with Dinan mods. To me this doesn't sound likely but wondered if anyone here could shed some light on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
V8convert
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the perfect V8

Good question. Any statements from the tuners re: tuning the sdrive 35i ala 335i/135i ??

I wonder how much torque the DCT can handle?? Presumably much less torque than a conventional auto or manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I remember seeing something about Dinan parts being sold through some BMW dealers in CA and I know that they offer a warranty to match the factory warranty, so Dinan is generally considered the factory-friendly option.

I would expect most of the mods for the N54 to be applicable to the Sdrive35i as well. Obviously thinks like suspension and brakes may be different, but I think the 335i gives a good indication of what can be directly used or what could be available shortly for the new Z4.

E90Post is a good place to look for mod information. Apparently the dealers are not liking SW mods, but many of the piggy-back systems are working hard to make them undetectable to the OBD.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
I remember seeing something about Dinan parts being sold through some BMW dealers in CA and I know that they offer a warranty to match the factory warranty, so Dinan is generally considered the factory-friendly option.

I would expect most of the mods for the N54 to be applicable to the Sdrive35i as well. Obviously thinks like suspension and brakes may be different, but I think the 335i gives a good indication of what can be directly used or what could be available shortly for the new Z4.

E90Post is a good place to look for mod information. Apparently the dealers are not liking SW mods, but many of the piggy-back systems are working hard to make them undetectable to the OBD.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just stick with a stock car initially and then, once that's worn off, consider what mods are available. Still, keeping an eye on the modding scene for the the time being and seeing what comes up is going to be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Ced
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
I know it's not even released yet but I was wondering, what's BMW's policy on modding cars that are under warranty (I'm specifically thinking SW). I'm sure the Sdrive35i will be pretty quick but, knowing how easy it is to tweak that engine, there's going to be a load of after sales mods available and that got me thinking.

I'm sure I read somewhere that BMW are OK with Dinan mods. To me this doesn't sound likely but wondered if anyone here could shed some light on the matter.
Dinan matches the BMW factory warranty. Read this...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...nty_info.shtml
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced View Post
Dinan matches the BMW factory warranty. Read this...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...nty_info.shtml
Interesting. I wonder if this also applies to the UK...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Ced
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
Interesting. I wonder if this also applies to the UK...
That's USA laws.
Appreciate 0