BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Your opinions on factory stores

01-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Your opinions on factory stores

I discovered that almost all the clothing I purchased at factory stores have stitching problems or some sort or unusual wear. Sure, the items are like half the price but I think it's really unfair for the retailers to sell almost defective items to consumers.

Almost all the shirts I purchased at the J.Crew factory store cheaply made, except for one shirt!

I purchased a Nautica jacket last year at a factory store and I never wore it out at all and just today I discovered there's a pretty serious defective stitching and wear.

You're probably saying take it back... well, I purchased these items in the U.S. and I'm not driving down just to have it exchanged.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I discovered that almost all the clothing I purchased at factory stores have stitching problems or some sort or unusual wear. Sure, the items are like half the price but I think it's really unfair for the retailers to sell almost defective items to consumers.

Almost all the shirts I purchased at the J.Crew factory store cheaply made, except for one shirt!

I purchased a Nautica jacket last year at a factory store and I never wore it out at all and just today I discovered there's a pretty serious defective stitching and wear.

You're probably saying take it back... well, I purchased these items in the U.S. and I'm not driving down just to have it exchanged.
Factory stores sell defective merchandise at a lower price, as you've found out. You definitely need to check the merchadise before buying. Not even worth messing with, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No doubt! I bought my Dad the exact same Nautica jacket at the outlet store and he wores his jacket a few times and I never wore mine at all. I compared my Dad's jacket and my jacket and his jacket doesn't have any visible defects to my knowledge. Anyway, I feel ripped off because I like the jacket a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Apparel wise, I know this from working with manufacturers:

Most labels - even the high end designer labels/ fashion houses make specific lines for their outlet stores these days. In most instances, it even matches the look of their high-end merchandise but it's made of cheaper material and by a whole different skill for cutting and sewing. They are not a bargain ..They just imply that you are getting a bargain.

The real bargain merchandise should have no label on it since the brand can not afford looking like it's being liquidated. Besides people who paid full price for a piece of apparel would be pretty pissed to see it sold for 1/3 of original price 3-4 months later.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Apparel wise, I know this from working with manufacturers:

Most labels - even the high end designer labels/ fashion houses make specific lines for their outlet stores these days. In most instances, it even matches the look of their high-end merchandise but it's made of cheaper material and by a whole different skill for cutting and sewing. They are not a bargain ..They just imply that you are getting a bargain.

The real bargain merchandise should have no label on it since the brand can not afford looking like it's being liquidated. Besides people who paid full price for a piece of apparel would be pretty pissed to see it sold for 1/3 of original price 3-4 months later.
It's true for most of my J.Crew shirts purchased at the factory store as the fabric is so thin and a few have some loose stitching. They're all made in Mauritius.

The Nautica jacket I purchased for myself and my Dad have awesome quality materials - it's a soft shell jacket and it's one of the best I've worn in terms of fabric and fit. However, the stitching and unusual wear in one area caught me off guard. In Canada, the jacket would have costed twice the price or more, but I do think I got a good deal but the finished product really sucks - oh, the Nautica jacket is made in Vietnam.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
ummmm...i know that this is stating the obvious...but...this is what factory stores sell...irregular and defective items that didn't pass inspection...

so why are you bitching about factors stores selling irregular and defective items that didn't pass inspection????

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
so why are you bitching about factors stores selling irregular and defective items that didn't pass inspection????
Because bitching is this bitches M.O.
      01-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #8
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I often visit the local outlets, Camarillo, because of the nice drive and boredom. I never have any issues with the stuff I bought from there. Things from Nike shoes to Lacoste shirts to Polo jackets.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

if you go to armani at like end of the season the suits are like half off but they might not have your size...
Appreciate 0