E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How does this detailing process sound? (Zaino)

06-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
dan6470
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

How does this detailing process sound? (Zaino)

Ok, i've had my Jet Black 330xi for a few months now. I've washed it once (the wrong way) so I have some very minor swirl marks. I also have a few minor scratches that I want to get out, you can see them, but u can't feel them at all.

Here's what I plan to do, let me know if I should change anything:

1) Wash & dry the car correctly w/ microfiber towels (I already have BMW car wash, so i plan on using that)

2) Clay with Zaino Z18 clay bar using Z6 as lube

3) Apply Zaino ZPC with a LC white pad using a pc or this (maybe an orange or yellow pad for the scrathes??)

4) Apply 1 coat of Zaino Z5-PRO+ZFX & 2 coats Z2-PRO+ZFX w/ coats of Z6 after each (all with foam applicators)

5) Apply 1 coat of Zaino Z8

Thanks for your help!

I also posted this on DetailersClub......but i couldn't figure out how to delete this thread

Last edited by dan6470; 06-17-2006 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
That sounds just about right! Just a couple of suggestions. First, I use Z-7 as a clay lubricant. Haven't tried Z-6 and wouldn't want to waste Z-6 for this. After the first wash I mix another clean bucket of wash mix and do a second "wash" using the sudsy water as my clay lubricant. Works great as you have PLENTY of lubricant for the clay and that's the trick with working clay.

You mention you have some light to medium scratches and I wouldn't be afraid to hit them with ZPC, the orange pad and the PC to start and see what that does. The Pinnacle Polish Pals you linked look ok but the best results on your scratches will be with a machine. I'd use the PC if you have one. If after a couple of times on the scratch sections with the orange pads you don't see much improvement go ahead and switch to the yellow pads. Work back to the white pad to remove anything you've done with the yellow or orange pads to bring out the best shine and gloss. Sometimes after using a yellow pad and ZPC on black I get some faint clouding however it's easily removed by "stepping down" the pad agression from yellow - to orange - finally to white.

Jet Black is an awesome color but shows quite a bit and takes a little extra work to get it perfect. Good luck and your routine sounds fine if you leave it the way you have stated above.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
dan6470
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

pander5 hit it just about right but i find it easier to fill a spray bottle with z-7 and water and use that to apply the lube!!!!! Acctually just did my fathers truck this morning. I do all of my claying in this manner. Forget about the polishing pal I have it and dont use it to polish!!! I would also look into some other polishes. This is my favorite cant find a better polish anywhere. Ive got alot of different polishes and this is the first one I grab now.

http://www.pakshak.com/menzerna-cera...lish-32oz.html
PS its not cheap!!!

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0