BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Anyone work in the Health Info Management field?

01-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Anyone work in the Health Info Management field?

So the economy landed on my head, and my situation will be changing. I'm considering going back to school and making a career change. I'm interested in Health Information Management. It doesn't seem to be a money maker, but I'm more for good working conditions and stability (don't want to be in a bad mood for my kids when I get home, and want to aways be able to provide for them).

Since I don't know anyone that works in the field, I have no insight as to what the job entails. I'm thinking of getting the RHIT license first. I don't want to be just a coder (I think), but more into the Health Info Systems deal. Anyone in the field like to provide some feedback as to how the industry is, and what the work is like exactly? Anyone in Socal want to mentor me, or provide some connections?

Just want to make sure I'm not investing time into something I might not like. As for my background, I've been working in the credit industry for the past 11 years, and am currently an information analyst.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetrator View Post
So the economy landed on my head, and my situation will be changing. I'm considering going back to school and making a career change. I'm interested in Health Information Management. It doesn't seem to be a money maker, but I'm more for good working conditions and stability (don't want to be in a bad mood for my kids when I get home, and want to aways be able to provide for them).

Since I don't know anyone that works in the field, I have no insight as to what the job entails. I'm thinking of getting the RHIT license first. I don't want to be just a coder (I think), but more into the Health Info Systems deal. Anyone in the field like to provide some feedback as to how the industry is, and what the work is like exactly? Anyone in Socal want to mentor me, or provide some connections?

Just want to make sure I'm not investing time into something I might not like. As for my background, I've been working in the credit industry for the past 11 years, and am currently an information analyst.

TIA
I'm in the exact same boat as you, just not in the same field.

I've done a search for forums for what I am interested in studying. I have also emailed a prof.

Good luck!

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Thanks Mandy. Good luck in your research. it's sooooo dang confusing! I def think schools are raking in bigtime with lay offs and people changing careers.

Anybody in the field???
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetrator View Post
Thanks Mandy. Good luck in your research. it's sooooo dang confusing! I def think schools are raking in bigtime with lay offs and people changing careers.

Anybody in the field???
No problem. Thank you! And same for you.
Yeah, I was reading an article about how the demand for going back to school has gone up ever since layoffs began.

Bump!

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0