ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

KWV3- What do I need?

I bought KWV3s used for a good deal last December. I know the hardcore track guys prefer the TCK DA, but I am sure these will be more than adequate for my planned occasional track and daily driving needs.

To hold me over while there is still snow on the ground, I plan to buy a few more parts to get the most out of my suspension. Here is what I have in mind:

1. Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts- seems like cheap insurance and part of the install job anyway.

2. TCK Camber plates- Not sure which ones to get but in my last car,I found being able to adjust camber during a good alignment from a performance shop allowed them to make my car's handling even better. Not as concerned about tire wear. Any guidance on which TCK or any other brand that would work with my KWV3's would be appreciated.

Anything else?
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

If you are getting camber plates you can also convert the front springs to linear rate at the same time. If you want to keep the KW springs they also sell camber plates for those.

Give Vorshlag a call. They can sell you the camber plates you need and help you convert to linear springs on the front if you like.

http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_strut_spring_guide.php

They also sell the rear mounts.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

I looked at their link but have a couple questions.

Do you know anyone that has converted the KWV3 front spring to linear? I wonder if that is a good idea for since the overall design was for progressive. Also, I wonder if it is a good idea since the rear will be untouched. Seems like you should do both springs. I am interested but don't want to hap hazardly change a balanced coilover in any unsafe way.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

I spoke to Bryan over there today and he recommended:

500# Front Linear Springs
550# Rear Linear Springs
Rear Spring Perch
Camber Plates

It all seems reasonable but I just want to confirm my KWV3 shocks are well matched to these springs. Thanks for any further feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep

I think the front may too stiff compared to the KW V3 springs but don't know for sure. Linear springs are better.

Best thing to do is ask Bryan is you can exchange the spring for softer ones if you install them and find them too stiff. You don't really know unless you try them.

The KW clubsports run the same dampers (not sure if they are revalved) but with different springs and camber plates.

The KW Clubsports have 400 linear springs on the front and progressive springs on the rear.

I would not go really stiff if not revalving the dampers to suit. An under dampened stiff spring setup will be harsh.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

I sent KW of North America an e-mail asking them about my options. They might even have linear springs they can sell me. I asked about valving and etc... I don't actually expect to get a response but if I do, I will share it. If not, I will probabyly get the camber plates and RSMs from Bryan and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep

You can use the linear springs from the Clubsports for the front. You will need the top mount, and helper spring from the clubsports to make them work. KW doesn't make Linear springs for the rear.

If you want to deal with Kw it's better to go thru a KW dealer for better pricing.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

As expected- no response from KW. I will just get the RSMs for now. If I decide need more, I can always sell these and get the TCKs. I am nervous to change front springs without any insight on valving...oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

I had a place called West End Alignment do a really nice job with putting in my suspension / aligning it. The guy that owns it ( Darrin ) is supposed to be a guru with racing suspension, and it shows because my car handles insane now. ( I got Bilstein B6 Sport Struts / H&R Springs ).

ANYWHO, I asked him what he recommended that I do in addition, and he recommended those rear trailing arm bushing limiters. Turner, Rogue, BMS all make their own versions. He said that they were alot better to do on a street car, and to stay away from urethane bushings as they squeak alot ( in case you were thinking about doing that as well )

One place he said he would recommend urethane bushings however was on the sway bars as you can change them out easily / grease them if needed...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
As expected- no response from KW. I will just get the RSMs for now. If I decide need more, I can always sell these and get the TCKs. I am nervous to change front springs without any insight on valving...oh well.
What did you do in the end? i have the KW V3 and i want to put the clubsport sprigns upfront. Did you do it?

Can the V3 damper hold the 400 springs?
Appreciate 0