BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Are there any Dentists on here? If so I have a couple questions...

01-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
theplayer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-series

Are there any Dentists on here? If so I have a couple questions...

Questions about you going to School:
Just wanted to know how hard was it?
I mean is it true that you are soo busy that it is near impossible to have a part time job?
Do you still enjoy it?
Thanks and just so you know the reason I'm asking is cuz I'm almost 99.9% sure I want to become one... Oh and my status is I'm still in college.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Mr.335iCoupe
Q(0_0Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

it is rumored to be very stressful with a high suicidal rate because of the focus and attention in detail when working on a patient. but if you have good self control, you will retire when you are 40-50 + be a baller.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335iCoupe View Post
it is rumored to be very stressful with a high suicidal rate because of the focus and attention in detail when working on a patient. but if you have good self control, you will retire when you are 40-50 + be a baller.
It used to be the occupation with the highest suicidal rate, but that changed several years ago. It is because of the wiring instruments. I mean, when you go in for an hour or two of work, you can't even stand the noise yourself. Imagine the dentist's feelings.

The joke has always been that those who become a dentist are the ones that can not get into a medical school, but for the recent year, I've heard that the acceptance rate into a dent school has become extremely competitive.

I used to be a pre dent student, but changed a year ago. I interned for my dentist and I decided that I can't see myself doing that for the rest of my life.

If you are a good dentist, just like being the best in all other fields, the money will follow. My dentist is extremely wealthy and rocks a different high end watch for every day of the week.

I don't know the user's name, but from a sig, I remember that one guy is going to UCLA school of dentistry, hopefully he can chime in on it.

The road through undergrad won't be a cake either. When I started my college career, everyone in my major, Biology, were either pre med, pre dent, or pre pharm. Fast forwards a couple of years and the classes that had to be taken...ie organic chem, genetics, etc. the majority switched major and career choices. And this is just for an undergrad!

You will be busy for sure. All of my classmates who were determined to make it to and through med, pharm, and dent schools did not work. It's funny because with the 2 organic chem classes required at my campus, they actually gave a baby talk about how the failure rate is 50% the first time around and if you have to retake it, that's OK. When I took the harder classes, my social life was practically gone. And I didn't work part time either. Of course, there's always an exception. If you're a freak of nature brainiac who can get everything within minutes, you can work.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
theplayer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-series

Well I'm still young I mean I graduated from high school last year, and I've got like about 1 1/2 years left to get my associates, I graduated from high school when I was close to 16, so from what I've read you do 4 years college get your bachelors, then go to either the only 3year dental school in ca or go to a 4year dental school so like 7-8 years of college damn that's alot of shit to learn...I figure by the time I'm 22-23 I'll be done with the dental school and be a dentist, just sucks cuz I'm thinking no social life my gf and I will grow apart cuz of not seeing eachother I mean damn that sucks, my goal for now though is to pay my car off by the time I get my bachelors... So that way I don't have to work as much only for insurance/gas...I mean when you say no social life does that mean like no days off?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Becoming a dentist by the time you turn 22-23 is quite hard to do. I don't want to say impossible. Associates degree? I'm guessing you're in a Junior College? Hate to break it to you, but that degree won't do much in real life. Personally I would not ever go to a dentist who's in his early 20s.

Some people also take more than 4 years for a BS or BA. I graduated high school at the age of 17 and I'm barely going to get my BS this spring at the age of 23. I changed my major so that held me back a bit.

What make you want to become a dentist? If it's because of the money, HIGHLY RECONSIDER.
Appreciate 0