E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino Experts Needed

06-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
325er
Banned
Rep
Drives: 325i Jet Blk

Zaino Experts Needed

So I took the plunge and got all of the Zaino products I need. Before I begin however here is what I plan to do:

Wash with Dawn
Dry with leaf blower
No Clay (New car PITA)
Apply Z2 with Zaino terry applicator 3 coats with Z6 in between
Finish with Z8.

Here are some questions for the experts.
1) Is skipping clay a big deal for a one week old car?
2) Is drying with the blower a bad idea for any reason?
3) Is the terry applicator by Zaino safe and should I apply in staright lines only? Should I apply to the whole car before buffing off?
4) When buffing off, is a MF towel safe to use, and should I only buff in straight lines? Should I use a separate MF towel for each layer of Z2 I buff off?
5) Should I use a separate MF towel for Z6 and yet another for Z8?

Phew!! I'm tired thinking about this PITA! Expert advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

1. It's not a big deal, but I would recommend doing it. a new car can accumulate a lot of crap on the paint from the ride over from Germany.

2. Leaf blowers are fine for drying

3. The Zaino applicator is fine. For the hood, roof, and trunk, apply in front to back motions. For side panels apply in an up and down motion. Yes, apply to the whole car and let it dry before removing. Depending on the temp, it could take 10 - 30 minutes for it to dry.

4. MF is fine, buff in straight lines, and use the same MF until it becomes too saturated with residue (if it does at all).

5. Use one seperate MF for both Z6 and Z8.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Last night I saw my friends car who used P21S

That stuff is AMAZING

felt and looked sooo much better than my zaino

anyone used the stuff before?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

don't skip the clay, ESPECIALLY if your car is parked outside.

clay is where it's all at. the rest is just polish/wax/whatever the hell you wanna call it that goes on top of the paint. clay takes out all dirt that you cant' see in the paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Here's my 2 cents after learning how to Zaino about a month ago.

You said you were applying 6 coats total. The instructions say to wait at least 6 hours between coats of Z2.

I have 2 coats of Z2, Z6 and Z8. Over 3 weeks.

The first took me all day to do just one coat of Z2 - Z8. Approx 4 1/2 hours of back breaking wax on and wax off.

Good luck with the 3 coats in one day!

1) Skip the clay. Your car is brand new.

2) Dry with whatever you want, I use a Chamois.

3) The Terry applicator is just fine. Apply in one direction... Although its hard to do once your arm starts getting tired.

I went in a couple of different directions and my car turned out just fine.

4) Use 100% white cottton towel to buff. You'll need several.

5) I used separate towels for Z6 and for Z8.

The car looks fantastic! I mean really fantastic and it stays so clean in-between washes.

I get tons of compliments. Good luck!

Don't forget to ice your arm afterwards.
      06-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

I have had good luck with Zaino products Z2, Z5, ZP-C, ZPX, Z6, Z7, Z8 and clay bar.

I did not clay the 06 325i. I have about three coats of Z5 and one of Z2 on it over six months time. I will try the new Z5 pro soon.

I found excellent result using the full procedure including clay on my daughters 2002 Honda Civic which was a mess-hardley washed, never waxed, scratches, 100,000 miles of college road trips, etc. Car looks great-took me two days.

Also great results with my wife's black 2005 VW beetle. Again full treatment with clay. Nice thing about the beetle-the black has no swirls and dust does not stay on the car.

Quick use of Z6 or Z8 in between works wonders on the black beetle and monaco blue BMW.

Meguiar has some very soft cotton towels and applicators available on line.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

Make sure you use the ZX with the Z2 - especially if you are doing more than one coat in at day.

I've had great results with their products.

Make sure the car is really clean when you apply. Anything on the surface after you apply will be under the coating and really impossible to remove.
      06-16-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
325er
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
1. It's not a big deal, but I would recommend doing it. a new car can accumulate a lot of crap on the paint from the ride over from Germany.

2. Leaf blowers are fine for drying

3. The Zaino applicator is fine. For the hood, roof, and trunk, apply in front to back motions. For side panels apply in an up and down motion. Yes, apply to the whole car and let it dry before removing. Depending on the temp, it could take 10 - 30 minutes for it to dry.

4. MF is fine, buff in straight lines, and use the same MF until it becomes too saturated with residue (if it does at all).

5. Use one seperate MF for both Z6 and Z8.

Hope this helps.

Thanks David and thanks for the great Sticky. That info is amazing. A couple of quick ones for you. Can you advise on the best way to apply Z6 and Z8? How and with what to apply etc.

Also for the interior I use a small dry MF towel to lightly dust, I add some moisture when needed. How do you recommend cleaning the very sensitive clear plastic covering the instrument cluster?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
Thanks David and thanks for the great Sticky. That info is amazing. A couple of quick ones for you. Can you advise on the best way to apply Z6 and Z8? How and with what to apply etc.

Also for the interior I use a small dry MF towel to lightly dust, I add some moisture when needed. How do you recommend cleaning the very sensitive clear plastic covering the instrument cluster?
No problem. I'm glad you found it helpful!

In terms of applying Z6 and Z8, just sray onto the paint and immediately spread around/wipe off with a quality MF towel. Use 1/2 to almost 1 squirt per panel for Z8 since it is highly concentrated. For Z6 you can use a bit more. Only use Z8 on a totally clean surface after washing. I would do the same with Z6.

Be careful with the plastic covering as it can scrath very easily. I usually use a dry MF towel and dust ever so lightly, so light the MF is just touching.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

back to my p21 question....has anyone ever used it?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

I have not used P21S, but I have used another wax that is similar. And yes, waxes like P21S are nice, but they are beauty waxes that offer limited durability and protection. If you want to rewax your car every 2 weeks, then go with P21S, otherwise use a good sealant like Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Would it work if I used Zaino AND P21s?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Theoretically you could use P21s over Zaino, however I would not do this. You won't be able to add more zaino after. Also, the solvents in the wax may eat away at the Z and, and lessen its life span.

I know you saw your friends car and was impressed with P21s, however you have to realize that 99% of a paints look and feel comes from prep work before waxing (claying, multi step polishing), and not from the wax itself.

What prep did your friend do? What prep do you do before applying Zaino? What is the age and condition of each car, your's and his?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Our cars were pruchased within a month of each other

He has hardley any swirls, I have tons

I use higher quality washing equipment too and am more carefull

I am going to give p21s a spin
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
325er
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I'm glad you found it helpful!

In terms of applying Z6 and Z8, just sray onto the paint and immediately spread around/wipe off with a quality MF towel. Use 1/2 to almost 1 squirt per panel for Z8 since it is highly concentrated. For Z6 you can use a bit more. Only use Z8 on a totally clean surface after washing. I would do the same with Z6.

Be careful with the plastic covering as it can scrath very easily. I usually use a dry MF towel and dust ever so lightly, so light the MF is just touching.
Thanks David. Is it possible to apply some Z8 or Z6 for that matter, without having applied any Zaino to the car? My situation is, the car is a couple of weeks old and I have not had the time to go through the process of Zaino application. All I have been doing is washing and drying. If I want to apply some Z8 after washing for a quick detail, will this spoil the Zaino process later when I start from scratch with Dawn etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
Thanks David. Is it possible to apply some Z8 or Z6 for that matter, without having applied any Zaino to the car? My situation is, the car is a couple of weeks old and I have not had the time to go through the process of Zaino application. All I have been doing is washing and drying. If I want to apply some Z8 after washing for a quick detail, will this spoil the Zaino process later when I start from scratch with Dawn etc?
It won't spoil the zaino process at all. You can apply Z6 or Z8 without having any other Zaino (z2 or z5) on the paint. Keep in mind, Z8 on its own will not offer anywhere near the durability of Z2/Z5, but it will make a good holdover until you can Zaino for real. What I would do is Z6 firlt (after a wash), then Z8 right after. The Z6 will make the surface a bit more slippery and will help the Z8 apply more evenly to the paint since you will be using less.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
325er
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It won't spoil the zaino process at all. You can apply Z6 or Z8 without having any other Zaino (z2 or z5) on the paint. Keep in mind, Z8 on its own will not offer anywhere near the durability of Z2/Z5, but it will make a good holdover until you can Zaino for real. What I would do is Z6 firlt (after a wash), then Z8 right after. The Z6 will make the surface a bit more slippery and will help the Z8 apply more evenly to the paint since you will be using less.
Thanks David, it worked great! I know it's no substitute for Z2 and Z5 but a good temporary measure. Now for the interior questions... How do you recommedn cleaning the Leatherette seats? I have the Zaino leather stuff will this work on ette? Also I want to preserve the new car smell so I probably will not use any procucts/chemicals in the car for now. How will a slightly damp MF towel work on dash/trim, doors, seats etc.? Vacuum on the floor? Any interior cleaning protocol would be great.

Thanks again,
Appreciate 0