BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Winter beater issue

01-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Winter beater issue

I probably should go find a Jimmy forum, but I get some good answers here so I figured I would give it a try. I have a 1992 S-15 jimmy winter beater that's been in my possesion for quite some time now. It has it's qurks, rattle, shakes and rusting, but the one great thing about this truck is the engine. Always start right up no matter what the weather. Unfortunately, the tail pipe rusted right off the car the other day and I'm planning on fixing it myself. The pipe has been off of the car for about a week now and just today the car died on me at a red light. as soon as I stepped on the gas the car choked and died. I got this big wiff of gas smell within the cabin too. It took me a couple of tries to get it started again with a couple of gas pumps, but it's dying again. Could the lack of a tailpipe be the cause? Lack of back pressure? The gas smell sounds like the engine is flooding and when you step on the gas it does sound like it's choking on fuel or starving. It doesn't die all the time, but a good half the time now. sometime when idling and sometime when you step on the gas after idling at a red light.

Thoughts?