BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
What's up Mid-Atlantic?

Just saying hi! I moved here about a week ago after driving cross-country with my wife and 200 pounds of luggage. Car got impressive mileage: 27 mpg @ 74 mph average. Also, the computer mileage is pretty danged accurate.

Anyways, I just moved back to Annapolis. I lived here 6 years ago, but a lot has changed since. Got a few questions:

-I just read the thread about Passport BMW and I already heard they were a solid place to go, but if I just wanted tire service near Annapolis, are there any good places? I just hit a pothole and cracked the sidewall of a tire on my 1er, and my other ride is a fixed gear road bike, lol. I'm also wondering why no tire place I called had snow tires in stock. Three separate places said no one around here buys them; is this true? It happened on Saturday night (in the rain) and I'll be calling Gill about the tires Monday morning.

-Are the drivers here really that bad, or am I just having a bad week? Man, I have been almost run off the road, passed on the right on the shoulder, almost run over as a dude ran a stop sign... and this is just the 60 miles I've put on the car between work, the grocery store and home for the last week. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but coming from California I was expecting more courtesy. Hopefully this is just anxious-nasty-weather-post-holiday craziness. I didn't remember drivers like this when I lived here before.

-I'm on the lookout for a nice-ish used car for my wife, since we left her's in California. I'm trying to spend about 14k or less and it needs to be something reasonably practical. I wanted to just get a 2-year lease (since I'll be moving back in 2 years) but the lease market has gone to crap. If you know anyone selling, let me know.

Anyways, if you see a SGM 135 with California plates, give me a wave.

-Jim
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Jim, i used to work in Annapolis. i go down there to hang out mostly now. BMW of Annapolis is down there off of Old Mill Bottom Rd. if you need any service see Jenny Eckman (service advisor). i know most of the technicians that work down there. good group of guys. as for the dealer itself, Tate recently sold the company to Group 1. so i'm not sure how well of a dealer they have become.

as for the drivers in annapolis, IT'S ANNAPOLIS. you're gonna have to get used to it. welcome back to MD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

welcome!

Good to have you back. See the thread on the road trip on the 31st. It might be fun and get to know some of the people. Yes, There is a certain percentage who think they can drive, pass, run lights and that none of the rules apply to them--they are special!! You just have to anticipate their crazy moves. As far as snow tires, there is usually so little snow no one bothers buying them. Hope to see you at some of the events. Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Welcome!!!

i don't spend too much time in MD, but YES the drivers ARE that bad. and NO...people don't buy snows, that'll be evident in the first snowfall. All-seasons will certainly get you by around here. others will argue, but the cold temps and occasional snow/ice render summers unsafe. Just wait till the first good snowfall, take out a video camera and watch in amusement as people struggle and proceed to leave their vehicle in the middle of the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Yeah, I think the bad drivers might be isolated in Annapolis. Since the car is OOC until the winter wheels/tires come in from Gill I walked to work yesterday and about got ran over by a guy running a red light making a right hand turn at a "do not turn right on red" intersection.

Anyways, Gill is the man and I will be on the road tomorrow with some nice winters to hopefully tide me over until the first autocross.

And I would love to make that event on the 31st if I can. My schedule is still in flux, I think that might be the weekend we fly back to pick up the cats. If not I will see you there.
Appreciate 0