BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
wastintime
Rep
Drives:

Gauging Interest... sway bars and coilovers

Hey everyone, how's it going? I don't know if anyone on here has heard of RaceComp Engineering, but if you've ever owned a Subaru or an Evo you probably have. We design suspension components for them and even co-brand our own custom KW coilover variants for them... we also sell our own springs, sway bars, etc...
My girlfriend just bought a 135i as a track car and so we're of course going to be all of the suspension work on it. Obviously most of our suspension components are geared towards performance/tracking the cars, but we do strive to make a large amount of comfort inherent in our suspensions. Which, contrary to popular belief is very possible... I've driven the 650hp AMS EVO they ran in 1 lap on 900lb/1000lb springs and it was as comfortable on the street as any other car.

Anyway, one of the things I've noticed is that there aren't really a lot of products for the 135i and many of them are just pretty generic and don't seem to be that well researched.
One of the things I'm probably going to have made for the car are a set of hollow adjustable sway bars. I figured some people would probably be pretty interested in these, and depending on how much interest we get it might be worth it to us to order a batch of them and sell them. I can't even guess at the price until we talk with our manufacturers and see what our production costs are going to be, but for right now I'd be curious to see how many people might be interested in a track/performance oriented set of sway bars. We'd probably try to keep it so that the softest settings would still be comfortable on the street, as well.

Also, as I mentioned we do co-brand KWs and anyone in the Subie world knows our Tarmac IIs are some of the best coilovers you can put on a Subaru. I know we're going to be putting something ridiculously custom on my girlfriends car, custom down to how the shocks are actually constructed, which I doubt most people on here would want unless they're planning on adding a few very specific things to the car. However, from the research we do on her car and a few friends' cars we might end up offering a custom spring and valved KW variant depending on the interest we get for them. As a general rule all of our RCE coilovers are based on KW V3s/clubsports, at least in their adjustability.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what kind of response it generates. Feel free to respond, PM, etc....

Andy
Appreciate 0