Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Sports Suspension

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
brad4221x
Private
Rep
Drives: E-90

Sports Suspension

Question: With the sports package come sports suspension callibration. Exactly what is that and what would I notice in the difference driving one with and one without?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

The sports suspension settings lowers the car by 15mm. It is slightly stiffer, but many claim the car still rides comfortably.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4221x
Question: With the sports package come sports suspension callibration. Exactly what is that and what would I notice in the difference driving one with and one without?
Depends. Most people would notice right away, but I'll bet my Mom wouldn't. Do you drive like my Mom, or like me?

Seriously though, the sports package is a lot stiffer, but still comfortable. If the tires and wheels were equal size, there would be very little difference in handling between the sport and non-sport. The main difference would be a little more body roll when transitioning between corners when driving hard.

Most of the extra grip in the sport package comes from the softer tires and wider contact patch. The suspension is slightly lower (less than one inch), and a little stiffer and maybe the anti-roll bars under the car may be larger diameter too. Haven't confirmed this yet, but usually that is what's done.

All of these things basically work to eliminate some body roll when cornering. This will give you better handling at the limit, and will make the car easier to control when turning from corner to corner quickly. If you are not that spirited of a driver, this may not be worth the resulting harsher ride.

So, you could probably buy some used 162 style wheels from someone that's going to 19s, along with the sport tires, and get about 85% or 90% of the handling grip that those of us with Sport package have. The handling wouldn't be as crisp, but it would be more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
The suspension is slightly lower (less than one inch), and a little stiffer and maybe the anti-roll bars under the car may be larger diameter too.
A larger, stiffer front anti-roll bar.

If your commute or drive has a lot of turns and corners, I'd go for the SP. If your daily drive is mostly highway and pothole filled city streets, the difference is noticeable and you'll feel a lot more comfortable in a non-SP car. Some people get the SP for the upgraded items included such as thicker steering wheel, SP seats, wheels.

I have a SP car and I drove a non-SP car the other day and I was really suprised how much more plush the non-SP car is. But would I trade my SP car for non-sp...heck no!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
brad4221x
Private
Rep
Drives: E-90

Thanks for the info. I drive like a little old lady and with gas as it is I don't really drive like an old lady. So I'll go with no SP. However I do like the steering wheel that comes with the SP.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4221x
Thanks for the info. I drive like a little old lady and with gas as it is I don't really drive like an old lady. So I'll go with no SP. However I do like the steering wheel that comes with the SP.
Brad, if you want just the steering wheel, you would be able to order that from the parts department. But be reminded, the airbag is different for the two wheels and if you ordered the SP wheel seperately you would need to also order an airbag unit. Probably around $800 together. It might be better to order SP if you want the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
PhilS
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

In the UK, we do not have a sports pack, so we need to order the various components separately.

I ordered sports steering wheel, seats and 162s but no sports suspension as I like the look and the seats but prefer a slightly more comfortable ride.
      07-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS
In the UK, we do not have a sports pack, so we need to order the various components separately.

I ordered sports steering wheel, seats and 162s but no sports suspension as I like the look and the seats but prefer a slightly more comfortable ride.
Sounds like a smart way to go. You probably get most of the grip that way anyway.
Appreciate 0