Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run-flat repair. Ripped off?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, MT, SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Run-flat repair. Ripped off?

I know this post will be moved to the wheels and tires section, but I feel like more people will read it here before it's moved. Be aware!

I got a nice screw in my new 18" sport package tire. I took it to a couple of Tire Kingdoms and 2 local tire places and none offered run-flat repair service. Tire Kingdom sent me to a specialty store owned by Tire Kindom called TK Performance. They are more specialty aftermarket rim oriented. Anyways, they charged me $45 to patch my tire because he claimed it was more difficult to remove the tire from the rim. So, I watched them repair the tire and it's done the exact same way they patch a standard tire. They place the tire on the same mounting/unmounting machine. It wasn't more difficult. I came to the conclusion that maybe the tire pressure monitor sensor might have something to do with the extra cost. That it had to be remounted. Well, when they finished the work, I got in my car to leave and noticed that the monitor light was still on. The mechanic told me to drive it for a couple of days and it should reset itself. I didn't believe him so I read the manual. It states that the pressure sensor isn't really a sensor in the wheel at all, but a system that monitors wheel spin and if it notices an inconsistency from the left to the right, i assumes it's a change in tire pressure. There I learned about how to initialize the system.

So now I really feel duped! I payed a "stupid tax". And I was never offered tire insurance by the dealer (or I simply didn't notice it on paperwork), otherwise I would have bought it. In fact, when I called my local BMW service department, I was told that you can't patch a run-flat and the only thing I can do is purchase a new one for $340 mounted.

Is this rediculous, or is it just me? There should at least be a disclaimer on the vehicle so that at least you know what you're getting into.

I know $45 is better than $340, but it shouldn't be this way. Between this and hearing that these 18" runflats last 10-12k miles, adding over $1000 a year to the cost of ownership. It's like knowing your car payment is $100 more per month.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated and am now, steering clear of screws and nails.

Let me know what you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

Sorry to hear bout that. That's why it pays to read up on all you can on this forum... the tire pressure monitor (how it wasn't an actual sensor in the tire/wheel) was discussed a few times in threads in the wheels/tires forum I think. This is why I'm swapping my runflats out when they're done with. I seriously believe that BMW's claim that the suspension was designed for runflats is just advertising.. it's been said here before that running with non-runflats didn't affect handling or ride quality at all, so I'll take my chances with regular ole tires thank you very much.

Oh, and dont' worry that $45 will be less painful with time
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio
I know this post will be moved to the wheels and tires section, but I feel like more people will read it here before it's moved. Be aware!

I got a nice screw in my new 18" sport package tire. I took it to a couple of Tire Kingdoms and 2 local tire places and none offered run-flat repair service. Tire Kingdom sent me to a specialty store owned by Tire Kindom called TK Performance. They are more specialty aftermarket rim oriented. Anyways, they charged me $45 to patch my tire because he claimed it was more difficult to remove the tire from the rim. So, I watched them repair the tire and it's done the exact same way they patch a standard tire. They place the tire on the same mounting/unmounting machine. It wasn't more difficult. I came to the conclusion that maybe the tire pressure monitor sensor might have something to do with the extra cost. That it had to be remounted. Well, when they finished the work, I got in my car to leave and noticed that the monitor light was still on. The mechanic told me to drive it for a couple of days and it should reset itself. I didn't believe him so I read the manual. It states that the pressure sensor isn't really a sensor in the wheel at all, but a system that monitors wheel spin and if it notices an inconsistency from the left to the right, i assumes it's a change in tire pressure. There I learned about how to initialize the system.

So now I really feel duped! I payed a "stupid tax". And I was never offered tire insurance by the dealer (or I simply didn't notice it on paperwork), otherwise I would have bought it. In fact, when I called my local BMW service department, I was told that you can't patch a run-flat and the only thing I can do is purchase a new one for $340 mounted.

Is this rediculous, or is it just me? There should at least be a disclaimer on the vehicle so that at least you know what you're getting into.

I know $45 is better than $340, but it shouldn't be this way. Between this and hearing that these 18" runflats last 10-12k miles, adding over $1000 a year to the cost of ownership. It's like knowing your car payment is $100 more per month.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated and am now, steering clear of screws and nails.

Let me know what you guys think.

you might want to check if you can patch up a run flat. For regular tires, as long as it's not on the sidewall, then you can patch it. But yea...45 bucks is a lot better than 340. hope you feel better and go
      07-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Here's also an earlier thread discussing the issue of patching runflats after a fellow member (Kao BMW) had his patched -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=patch
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

10-12 K...that hurts...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
10-12k...

That's what I recall reading in another thread.

And I drive pretty hard! I might be posting my new tire experiences in about 4 months, the way I'm driving. I try to take it easy, but I just love cornering in this car!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

There is no free lunch

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

I also had a nail patched at a tire shop, and no problems so far. Cost me $22 plus a $5 tip for the guys because it took them 3 guys to get the tire off the rim (it is harder to get off the rim because of the stiffer sidewall). Even with the special machine for high-end alloys and run-flats, it was still a bear for them to get the tire off the rim.

I posted a thread about this too, but I can't find it right now. I found an article from Bridgestone where they stated that it was fine to patch a run-flat as long as it hadn't been driven for a long time flat. No surprise that the dealer wanted to sell you a new tire. I went straight to Bridgestone and they said it was safe. The dealer, even if they REALLY knew anything, will always tell you to buy a new one.

Frankly, when you buy a car with 18inch wheels and 255 width and 35 aspect sidewalls with 140 treadwear, you have to pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Your absolutely right cc 330i. I drove a Ford Ranger for 9 years, and tires lasted forever. But there's no comparison, I know it's worth the extra money. I was just a little shocked, that's all. More upset actually because I felt ripped off on the patch and missed the insurance opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio
Your absolutely right cc 330i. I drove a Ford Ranger for 9 years, and tires lasted forever. But there's no comparison, I know it's worth the extra money. I was just a little shocked, that's all. More upset actually because I felt ripped off on the patch and missed the insurance opportunity.
If it makes you feel any better, the dealer tried really hard to get me to buy the tire insurance, because they probably make a fortune off of it. I turned it down, and then less than 1,500 miles into the car, I got a big fat nail in my tire. Guess who felt stupid then!?

But I am still glad I didn't opt for the "insurance" because the tires probably won't last very long anyway, and a patch here and there is no biggie. If they agreed to replace the tire if it got less than 15K miles of treadwear, however, I would have gone for it.

Also, I think that the $45 you paid is not totally out of line if they did a good job and didn't hurt your rim. I watched them like a hawk when they fixed mine and made sure their was no rim damage. Since I was happy with the guy, I gave him an extra $5 for his trouble. (20% tip).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
Spaceman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

So what happens after you patch the wheels? Do you always get a warning light on the tire monitoring system? Anyway to reset that?
      07-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman
So what happens after you patch the wheels? Do you always get a warning light on the tire monitoring system? Anyway to reset that?
The tire monitoring system just measures the speed that the wheel rotates. It's not on the wheel at all. When the system senses that a wheel is spinning at a different relative speed than the others, it will alert you. This will happen if the wheel loses air significantly due to a puncture. (mine never did alert me because it lost air so slowly, the system never caught it. I caught it by carefully monitoring tire pressures with a gauge).

After changing the pressure in one tire (after fixing a flat or low tire, for example) you can "re-calibrate" the system. You just drive for a few minutes on a straight road, and go into the menu on the computer and tell it to calibrate the tire monitoring system again. It then resets the sensor to the new diameter/speed of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yeah, those low profile performace tires sure look pretty (had some on a Benz), but don't expect more than about 16k on them before they need to be replaced. Replaced my soft ones on the Benz with Michelin Pilot Sports with 400 treadwear. The 16" all seasons on my non-sports package E90 should fare well (I hope).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

On my e46 I got 32k on conti sports 17's
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

but they were like slicks lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #16
Spaceman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
The tire monitoring system just measures the speed that the wheel rotates. It's not on the wheel at all. When the system senses that a wheel is spinning at a different relative speed than the others, it will alert you. This will happen if the wheel loses air significantly due to a puncture. (mine never did alert me because it lost air so slowly, the system never caught it. I caught it by carefully monitoring tire pressures with a gauge).

After changing the pressure in one tire (after fixing a flat or low tire, for example) you can "re-calibrate" the system. You just drive for a few minutes on a straight road, and go into the menu on the computer and tell it to calibrate the tire monitoring system again. It then resets the sensor to the new diameter/speed of the wheel.
Thanks for the info CC 330i!
      07-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #17
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

do the motion sensors or the thing that says your low on air work with other tires
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #18
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball pete
do the motion sensors or the thing that says your low on air work with other tires
Yes, the tire pressure monitor sensor system detects loss of pressure by monitoring rolling diameter of each wheel, so it doesn't matter what wheels/tires you have on the car. See this thread for more info:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376
Appreciate 0