BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Extensor tendonitis

10-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Extensor tendonitis

Doc says I have extensor tendonitis in my left hand. The first activity that I noticed giving me discomfort was, you guess it, driving.

I have the sport package and the M wheel is very thick but it's not exactly round in the grip, there are soft angels to it which place strain on my middle finger. And due to the manual transmission I do a lot of steering with just the left hand.

Now, I don't know that the steering wheel is the cause of the problem - it could simply be the first place I noticed it. But it do wonder if might be the cause.

I guess the question to the board is: anyone else having problems like this? For what it's worth, I'm 38 years old so I don't think it's arthritis (yet) but I (and the doc) could be wrong!

JM
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I am no doctor, but tendonitis happens most to people who are on the computer with their mouse. It is caused by the rubbing of friction between the bottom of your wrist and the mousepad. This is the first time I have heard of this comming from a person who drives alot. How much are you on the computer?

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Well, I'm on the computer all day, but I mouse right handed and this is on my left hand only.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Mic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Cashmere silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
I am no doctor, but tendonitis happens most to people who are on the computer with their mouse. It is caused by the rubbing of friction between the bottom of your wrist and the mousepad. This is the first time I have heard of this comming from a person who drives alot. How much are you on the computer?
Wrong my friend :wink:

It's when you keep the wrist bent upward or downward.
      10-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
Wrong my friend :wink:

It's when you keep the wrist bent upward or downward while using the mouse.
Edited :wink:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

I would doubt steering the car would do this. tendonitis in most cases is an overuse problem, caused by repetitive activity. In the hand/wrist, it would likely be due to repetitive flexion and extention of the wrist or fingers. I would think steering the wheel is an action done more at the elbow and shoulder than the wrist.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Doc says I have extensor tendonitis in my left hand. The first activity that I noticed giving me discomfort was, you guess it, driving.

I have the sport package and the M wheel is very thick but it's not exactly round in the grip, there are soft angels to it which place strain on my middle finger. And due to the manual transmission I do a lot of steering with just the left hand.

Now, I don't know that the steering wheel is the cause of the problem - it could simply be the first place I noticed it. But it do wonder if might be the cause.

I guess the question to the board is: anyone else having problems like this? For what it's worth, I'm 38 years old so I don't think it's arthritis (yet) but I (and the doc) could be wrong!

JM
Well, I'm 54 years-young, have experienced occasional shoulder discomfort when driving the hot rod, made adjustments. Ligaments and their relation to the human frame can be quite profound. Thinking out-loud here, your driving position might benefit from adjustment, I don't know...Mi do pesos...:iono:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0