BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Big Brother Key

Today I took my car in to have a cracked brake light fixed and was surprised when I sat down with my service tech that before she had even looked at my car she told me that I needed my washer fluid topped up and also exactly how many miles I had left until my first scheduled service.

I had given her my key, and she had downloaded this information from there. I asked her what other information she could retrieve from the key and she told me exactly how much gas I currently had, and whether or not I drove with my seatbelt on! She said there was "some other stuff" too.

Maybe this has been discussed before on 1addicts, but I certainly didn't know about it. Wonder how long until all of our driving habits are monitored--the technology certainly seems to be all in place right now.

Excellent service by the way, cracked (center on top of trunk) brake light replaced under warranty. I only noticed that it had a tiny hair line crack about two months into ownership, so really had no way to prove if it was defective or happened while under my ownership--but they gave me the benefit of the doubt.
      10-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Hmmm... I wonder if this works on those with Comfort Access too? I rarely, if ever, plug my key into the dash.

The only way it could do that is through Bluetooth but I thought the keys worked via RFID.
      10-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
That's pretty damn cool. I thought they only got the VIN and Customer Info off reading the key.

Didn't know the topped off the wiper fluid. I already filled mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if this works on those with Comfort Access too? I rarely, if ever, plug my key into the dash.

The only way it could do that is through Bluetooth but I thought the keys worked via RFID.
The CA keys carry the same information but from e90post reports the information is only updated when the key is in the dash.

There was a post a while ago where an e9x driver confused the tech because the key had never been in the dash and held no information.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

Call me retarded, how do you start your car without putting the key in the dash if you have comfort access
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
Call me retarded, how do you start your car without putting the key in the dash if you have comfort access
That is a feature of Comfort Access: Not having to take the key out of your pocket.
      10-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
The CA keys carry the same information but from e90post reports the information is only updated when the key is in the dash.

There was a post a while ago where an e9x driver confused the tech because the key had never been in the dash and held no information.
Ah, I was hoping that is how it worked. I guess that is why they tell you to put your key in once in a while to "re-assign the codes".
      10-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

they'll just see that the mielage on your key doesn't match up with the mileage on your dash, and they'll just pop the key in for a sec and have all the info they're required to record.

we all have 2 keys, but i only use one. i had the thought of just bringing the unused one with me to service for them to scan.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

I heard the key knows I like long walks on the beach and mystery novels as well...

in all seriousness that is pretty interesting the extent of info tracked in the key..

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
I heard the key knows I like long walks on the beach and mystery novels as well...

in all seriousness that is pretty interesting the extent of info tracked in the key..
Ask the service person to show you their screen; I took my car in for wheel repairs this week and they ran through it all with me as I haven't owned a bimmer before.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
Ask the service person to show you their screen; I took my car in for wheel repairs this week and they ran through it all with me as I haven't owned a bimmer before.
I am going in next week to have my third brake light fixed (again)... I will definitely ask him to show me what they can pull off the key...

:biggrin:

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post

It's actually possible to write to RFID tags, but I'm not sure the one in the keyfob has that capability. I work with a lot of industrial RFID stuff and I've wondered a couple of times if I might accidentally overwrite my key. I'm guessing it's locked after it's programmed at the factory.

The system used to write to the normal keys is still "non-contact" though. I'm pretty sure they're using inductive coupling for that one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

very interesting...

I have used computers a lot. In the old days, when mainframes with terminals were the norm ... If a user pissed us off, we would slow them down a bit for the day...just to piss them off... Quit Childish yes... but the point is...

I wonder what powers the dealership has? Or for that matter BMW. Think about it. If you drive without your seatbelt, like in the driveway, till you get passed the gates. Could this be used against you? Also imagine someone at the dealership who knows how to "hack" and decides to mod your car just enough to make it feel a bit “lemony”... Or BMW changes things so parts that we pay for wear faster than the parts they pay for.

Hmmm...

We have anti-virus software, be nice to plug our cars in ourselves and just see what is being done.

I want

transparent media

in hardcopy or emailed!
EspressoBoy

PS
See hyperlink to explain what it means, for those who don't know.

I also looked up a few things, for those of us who are a bit "fuzzy" on their meanings...

RFID http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

Immobiliser http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

ECU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

TPMS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pressure_monitoring_system
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post

Hmmm, I don't recall ever putting my key in but they pulled the my info from my fob the last time I went in for service.
      10-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

yea the keys do everything these days- even read the check engine lights- my 2002 e46 key did this- try this out- put one key in and set the heater up high, put the other in and set for the ac- they will remember the air temp settings- at least they did on my e46!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

I don't know about non CA but the keys with CA remember radio stations, seat positions memory, favorite buttons and probably some other things too. I use second key to drive my mom's e92 3 series coupe and have my radio stations, etc when I open the car with my key. It is important to open the car with the new key. Otherwise if the car was used with the "old key" and was left open (which is the case often when the car is in the garage) And I use it with my key, in order to get my settings, I have to close it with my key and reopen.
      10-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

Oh and I thinks it's not that the key remembers because i never put it into dash, but the car remembers those settings and identifies which key was used to open. IMO It's way less complicated than developing key which holds all of this data.
That's why I don't think the dealer would be able to tell you of the key what radio stations you have programed under that key.
      10-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelitto View Post
Oh and I thinks it's not that the key remembers because i never put it into dash, but the car remembers those settings and identifies which key was used to open. IMO It's way less complicated than developing key which holds all of this data.
That's why I don't think the dealer would be able to tell you of the key what radio stations you have programed under that key.

Either way its pretty damn cool. I like that my wife and I have different key fobs so we can program the car the way each of us likes it.
      10-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #19
bubble
I am the Stig.
Rep
Drives:

I'm not a fan of the big-brother key or the little black box. And I'm not even one that drives the car hard.

I read this today:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/c...owners-busted/
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
bubble
I am the Stig.
Rep
Drives:

Someone sent me this today:

http://www.motorauthority.com/bmw-pr...edit-card.html
Appreciate 0